Upside Down Red Diesel SCROG Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hypcodiihop said:
I would assume that like I said, phototropism would take lead in fan leaves, and gravitropism in the roots. Roots also detect phototropism from what I remember though.

I was hoping that phototropism would help with the fan leaves as well but unfortunately gravity has proven to be more of a trigger for the leaf's directional orientation although the leaves are still angling themselves towards the light. I am trying to come up with ways to deal with this and so far I got two...I thought the SCROG would be enough to help keep the fan leaves facing down but it is not. I am having to go in when the lights come on and twist each fan leaf 360 degrees and hold for about 10 seconds, releasing then causes it to turn to the position I want. This is horribly inefficient so I am thinking about either A) Using a second SCROG screen over the first to sandwich the fan leaves, forcing them to stay pointing the way I want, or B) changing the setup from SCROG to a single bar that could be set a certain distance below the planter and the plant stem could wrap around it and go back upwards...picture a scrog with just one weave.... In this case the planter would have to be hung so that the plant was more on a level or slightly lower height than the light, but it would still be using light emitting sideways from the bulb and not directly on the plants below. The fan leaves would then still be able to orient themselves the way they want (up) yet still angle themselves toward the light field.
I think I will try using the second screen first before changing the whole design...see if that helps.

i was thinking if you pollenate asy 2-3 budds and get 5-10 seeds
your seeds might grow upside down better
from what ive read your seeds might be bred for growing upside down

I got balls on our test subject today, will try to update with pics in a bit, he is still growing strong though, perhaps I will try and harvest some pollen since I am not doing anything much in the room right now. I only have 9 other plants right now in the room, so maybe I will just try and do some cross breeding. I guess I could let this go and take the male pollen from this Red Diesel I am going to get and just let it mate with the NYC Diesel, and Jack Herer I have in the room right now, create something like Red Jack Diesel or NYC Red Diesel...lol. Sucks to take him down after already puttign this much work in him and it would be nice to create some seeds I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for.

TURKEYNECK said:
shucks...a male..

Not discouraged though. I have some guaranteed female clones coming along so I will restart. I know it can be done now.

scrog111 001.jpg

scrog111 003.jpg

I didn't notice it until after I posted the pic, but if you look closely at the pic above with the red circle showing the male growth you can see the main issue to be dealt with in this attempt. The picture was taken from underneath the scrog looking up at the plant so you can see the main stem with the fan leaves shooting off from the stem. If you blow up the pic you can see how the stems have actually twisted themselves over in darkness so that the leaves are facing up. I have to twist these back over when the lights come on.

Hey bro it's not grown indoors but I found a pic here of a plant grown outdoors and by the looks of it gravity took over to pull a few side branches up but the rest grew down...take care..

Topsy outdoor1.jpg

Thanks Tokie!
Cool pic!
The problem I am having is with the light being below the plant. Due to gravity the leaves turn themselves over so even though the plant is pointing down all the leaves are facing up towards the ceiling, this is why I am trying it with SCROG screens, to hold them in place. It's cool to see that it produces well outside though, gives me more confidence ;)

This is fascinating.

So even though the light is below the plant the leaves are twisting away from the light.

Are all the leaves doing it?

:peace:

maybe because its upside down you the plant doesnt understand whats going on lol so your twisting hes life in a weird way , lets hope that twist is a dejavu for MAXIMUM YEILD QUALITY :D

HippyInEngland said:
This is fascinating.

So even though the light is below the plant the leaves are twisting away from the light.

Are all the leaves doing it?

:peace:

Yeap, all of them. They will try to orient themselves towards the light as best they can, but it takes time to do it on their own. By the time they orient themselves so that they are getting light on the leaf surface, the 12 hour light period is over, and gravity turns them back over in the dark. Kind of cool to see actually. The tip of the plant will stay open down towards the light, apparently because there are no stems developed yet to these leaves so their is no stem to twist and turn over the leaf. However even these new leaf shoots will twist in the leaf blades themselves. Since there is no stem to twist, the blade itself will twist so that anywhere from the first 1/3 to 1/2 will be pointing down and the rest of the blade towards the tip will be turning over in the darkness.
When I trimmed up the plant to be put upside down I trimmed ALL growth along the main stem down to the stem, leaving only the top for the SCROG. Well by the time I pulled the male subject, one of the cool things it had started doing was producing new shoots off the main stem where I had trimmed. These new shoots came in growing straight up towards the ceiling. They did not grow in pointing down and then re-orient themselves up. These shoots, and it may be because they were so small, seemed better able to turn when the lights came on. It was as if this new growth, since it was beginning when the plant had already established itself upside down, was better prepared for the conditions.

I blew up one of the pics from the other page below. This pic was taken shortly after the lights came on, probably about 90 minutes. The light is located below and to the right of the plant in the image. You can see the new shoots coming off the main stalk circled in red. The new growth on the right side has angled itself down towards the light only 90 minutes after the lights are on. The shoot on the left side that is being shaded is in the same position. But you can see how the shoots are coming in growing straight up instead of down (rightside up according to the plant), I found this REALLY odd and unexpected. I was expecting new shoot growth off the main stem to come in pointing down and then orient itself to grow back up, I wasnt' expecting the shoots to come in that way.

Gotta love trying new things :)

untitled111.JPG

Hmm,this is interesting NYCDxJH as you've got 2 properties of plant growth seemingly in conflict,namely,phototropisms and geotropisms,so the plant will naturally want to bend up against gravity yet the light is below.

To overcome gravity's effect you could mount the growroom on a motorised table revolving at 1 revolution per pay,or maybe slightly higher and that would then have 'authority'over gravity in that the plant would grow into the screen just fine but then ya have to think......well,just turn it all over and lose the revolving table!

Really good you are trying this though,as we will all learn a lot about the nature of the plant as it's responding to unique stimuli.

Haha nice. I saw those bags and almost got some for tomatoes. I have also seen tomatoes grown upside down before in a downtown Indianapolis park...its definately possible.

Latest posts

Back