Using Promix with Earth Juice, amend or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Rose, so I've had success with the paper towel method then into HF in the past... but it lists Light warrior or another seeding soil to germ in. So will the HF have too many nutes to germ in if I just pop it right in and water lightly after I've water the soil (not too much obviously) ..

I think I'm gonna trial Grotek nutes and using the Vitamax for the seedlings in straight promix side by side along with EJ to see which I like better. I can get the 6 pack plus a measuring cup and some freebies from my local store, plus a heftyyyy discount since I go there so much :) it's basically free so I figured why not. It also includes the vitamax so I should be set! I'll also be running earth juice on half of my ladies since I still have that sitting around and I really prefer that wince it's organic. Time will tell which one I like better!! Still open to more suggestions, I love the information you experienced growers have. I am working my way to being more like the THGs, Melvan's, Rose's, NC's, etc. on here. This is the only site I'll actually read and absorb info from. You guys are top notch! Thanks a ton!

I use a seed starter. It has no nutes in it and it is just in a small bag and it lasts forever, good to have seed starter on hand.

jsmits420 said:
I think I'm gonna trial Grotek nutes and using the Vitamax for the seedlings in straight promix side by side along with EJ to see which I like better. I can get the 6 pack plus a measuring cup and some freebies from my local store, plus a heftyyyy discount since I go there so much :) it's basically free so I figured why not. It also includes the vitamax so I should be set! I'll also be running earth juice on half of my ladies since I still have that sitting around and I really prefer that wince it's organic. Time will tell which one I like better!! Still open to more suggestions, I love the information you experienced growers have. I am working my way to being more like the THGs, Melvan's, Rose's, NC's, etc. on here. This is the only site I'll actually read and absorb info from. You guys are top notch! Thanks a ton!

So you are going to do some organic and some not organic?

Add your dolomite lime to the dry mix first thing. The whole bale or a container at the time, your call. BTW, 3-5gal buckets=15gallons=2cf and that would be 3 cups of DL per NC.

Trust me, it's easier to mix the 15gal+3cups of DL at once in a wheelbarrow than 5gal+1cup DL three times. But, whatever works best for you.

Wet

THG, the GroTek products are organic, as long as you don't use the water soluables. hXXp://www.grotek.net/

I use the Grow and Vitamax in veg, along with the MG. I use the Bloom, Bloom Fuel, Heavy Bloom, and VitaMax plus in flower, again along with the MG. And I use ProMix BX, not HP

The Hemp Goddess said:
So you are going to do some organic and some not organic?

Precisely. Although I prefer organic, what I've seen from GroTek by Melvan is outstanding. And I believe GroTek is organic or am I mistaken? Not to say I'm anywhere close to being the grower she is, but the nute line seems pretty spot on. And like I said, I still have EJ and I have quite a bit of it. I can get the starter pack from my local shop for about 15 bucks, and that includes the feeding schedule,measuring cup, and some other freebies. It'll get me through a cycle and I can see if I like it. But another line called 'Cyco' is out and apparently it's really big in Australia, but it's not organic, and the guys at the show were ranting and raving about it. I think it just has a pretty bottle... meh. Looks like I might be doing a side by side, side by side lol. #1 HF for veg then my SS #2 Promix with EJ #3 Promix with GroTek. #2 & 3 will also be fed teas throughout that I'll be brewing and occasionally top dressed with some other goodies.. Obviously the SS will just be water throughout. I'm excited to use my new setup ( new 4x4 tent and a digital 1000 watt dimmable ballast )
I'll be starting the same seeds in each, most likely all Nirvana's Ice or Nirvana's Blue Mystic. Haven't decided yet. Heck, I might do a couple of both!! :icon_smile:
Also, will be vegged in a 4x2 tent with a 4ft 6 bulb HO t5 and I have 2 2ft 4 bulb HO t5s I can either use for side lighting or to give the seedlings some light but not too much. That 6 bulb is no joke!!

Wetdog said:
Add your dolomite lime to the dry mix first thing. The whole bale or a container at the time, your call. BTW, 3-5gal buckets=15gallons=2cf and that would be 3 cups of DL per NC.

Trust me, it's easier to mix the 15gal+3cups of DL at once in a wheelbarrow than 5gal+1cup DL three times. But, whatever works best for you.

Wet

I'll most likely just dump it all out into containers or a spare trash can I have laying around. I agree, mixing it all at once would be much easier. And like I originally mentioned, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. So I might just go ahead and dump the whole bale of promix out, add the perlite, and add the DL at once then just get out what I need and put it back in the trash can or rubbermaid container, whichever. For the bale of promix I would need how many cups of DL? I believe you're saying 1 cup per gallon of mix, correct? Sorry if I'm mistaken. My brain is fried from school and this dank I'm smokin on :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm adding 1 cup of ewc per gallon of mix for slower releasing N due to EJ lacking in it apparently. So that might be where I'm getting to dolomite ratio confused. Sorry! Just need some clarification. I'll be mixing tomorrow and getting seeds wet tomorrow night.

I forgot to mention I have the thrive alive b1. I usually use it for foliar spray or transplanting but could I make my own seed starting mix? Anyone done this? Maybe like some promix, ewc, and some thrive alive mixed in my little plastic starting pots? I don't know... just high and thinking of ideas lol. May be totally off! But that's what I love about growing, you can come up with new things and always be trying different stuff :)

Seed starter has no nutes in it. The seed has what it needs to start.

Melvan said:
THG, the GroTek products are organic, as long as you don't use the water soluables. hXXp://www.grotek.net/

I use the Grow and Vitamax in veg, along with the MG. I use the Bloom, Bloom Fuel, Heavy Bloom, and VitaMax plus in flower, again along with the MG. And I use ProMix BX, not HP

Thanks. For some reason when I checked the web site it didn't look like they were organic.

dont get so worried about itty bitty details, how ever the rule of thumb for seedlings is to use un-nuted soil and dont feed till they have a few sets of leaves. seedlings really dont need any nutes for the first id say 2 weeks as they are primarily concentrating on building up their roots and any nutes will burn the roots and possibly killing your seedlings... i just feed them bubbled water till they have their 3rd set of actual leaves, not the seed leaves. after that x-plant and feed away with your schedule. and as i said dont worry about the tiny details, try it see how it works... what works for you isnt necessarly gonna be what works for me, everyones grow is different. as long as your paying attention to keeping it organic youll have good results. just keep lovin them girls and youll fine tune your operation over your first few grows. honestly alot of it comes down to having a good idea and just running with what works for you. its a learning experience and one awesome hobby.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just gonna do a big experiment lol. I've got it all written down on paper so it's just time to make it happen. I plan on germing the seeds tomorrow but I've lost a few recently with the papertowel in a bag method. I think they just got too hot on the cable box because the root popped out, then did nothing and didn't get bigger. Also smelled kind of burnt when I opened the bag. But 2 outnof the 5 worked so idk.. I'd like to either plant straight into dirt or try the tap water in a glass method. Any suggestions on these? Do I need to put the jar uncovered in a cabinet in the dark or something? And if I go straight into promix, should I just spray the mix with a spray bottle to mist the soil lightly then poke a hole, drop it in, then mist again? Keeping them in the dark as well or in that case would I put them under some 'light' light and to provide some heat? Like I mentioned in the op, I have 2 2' 4 bulb ho t5s that put out 8k lumens and I could fit all my seeds under one so it'd be a 2 sq.ft. area. Thanks in advance!

I would start them in some kind of medium--rapid rooters, rockwool, or soil (with NO nutes). Every time a cracked seed is touched, you have the chance of introducing pathogens to the root and/or damaging it. I just plant mine and then keep them under low light until they poke their heads up out of the medium.

While you may be able to fit your plants in a 2 sq ft area, unless the space is actually 2 sq ft (with walls), the light is going to disburse throughout the room. To have use of the entire 8000 lumens and not have them going everyplace, you do need to have a space that is sized to accommodate whatever amount of light you are using.

When you do start your plants on nutrients--2 to 3 weeks after they pop, you are going to want to start with lower concentrations, like a 1/4 strength and work up. All products that are organic should carry the OMRI seal. Look for it when buying products that are supposed to be organic.

Now, I see the nutes and seedlings different. I tell you, when I moisten to sow with the VitaMax, and give 2ml a week for the first two weeks I get faster, healthier starts in the ProMix BX.

This last batch of seed I started I didn't have any of the VitaMax in the house, and they were slower and weaker growing without it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would start them in some kind of medium--rapid rooters, rockwool, or soil (with NO nutes). Every time a cracked seed is touched, you have the chance of introducing pathogens to the root and/or damaging it. I just plant mine and then keep them under low light until they poke their heads up out of the medium.

While you may be able to fit your plants in a 2 sq ft area, unless the space is actually 2 sq ft (with walls), the light is going to disburse throughout the room. To have use of the entire 8000 lumens and not have them going everyplace, you do need to have a space that is sized to accommodate whatever amount of light you are using.

When you do start your plants on nutrients--2 to 3 weeks after they pop, you are going to want to start with lower concentrations, like a 1/4 strength and work up. All products that are organic should carry the OMRI seal. Look for it when buying products that are supposed to be organic.

Yes I was planing this route to plant them straight into promix in smaller containers with just water, so that should work right? And perfect, that answers my question. I'll put them under the two 2footers side by side to fill the entire area. I could block off the area but what the heck I have the lights so why not. I plan on putting them under the smaller t5s I have side by side long ways in my veg tent (4x2) or I could use my 4 ft 6 bulb t5... but that thing puts out some heat so if I chose to use that, and maximize my growing area would I just need to keep it far up so it doesn't dry the medium out super quick? Thanks for the advice THG, it's always welcome. And I look for the organic seal on everything, and everything I have and plan on using has it so I'm good:) And Melvan I'm going to the store today to get the lineup of GroTek, I had something come up yesterday and couldn't make it since the shop is about 30 minutes up the road. Have a good day everybody!! :icon_smile:

At first, they are not going to need to have that much light, so 1 2 footer will be enough at first. Get a small oscillating fan so there is some air movement in the space, it will help strengthen the stems. When the seedlings pop through the soil, you are going to want to try and strike a balance between how close you can get the light and how fast the medium dries out. If it dries out too much, the seedling will most likely not survive. On the other hand, if the light is too far away, they will stretch.

Mel, I don't normally plant a lot of seeds, I usually clone. Have you tried the VitaMax with clones? Can it be used with hydro? Like in a bubble cloner? I don't use ProMix, but do use either an organic soil or some kind of starter cube like rapid rooters or rock wool.

jsmits420 said:
I'll most likely just dump it all out into containers or a spare trash can I have laying around. I agree, mixing it all at once would be much easier. And like I originally mentioned, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. So I might just go ahead and dump the whole bale of promix out, add the perlite, and add the DL at once then just get out what I need and put it back in the trash can or rubbermaid container, whichever. For the bale of promix I would need how many cups of DL? I believe you're saying 1 cup per gallon of mix, correct? Sorry if I'm mistaken. My brain is fried from school and this dank I'm smokin on :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm adding 1 cup of ewc per gallon of mix for slower releasing N due to EJ lacking in it apparently. So that might be where I'm getting to dolomite ratio confused. Sorry! Just need some clarification. I'll be mixing tomorrow and getting seeds wet tomorrow night.

One cup of dolomite per FIVE gallons of mix. Since the bale of promix is compressed, it would be best to see how many 5gal containers it fills as you fluff it out (un compress it).

I'd do more like 1/2 cup/gallon of EWC. It won't burn or anything, but can make the mix too dense/heavy and screw up the drainage.

Wet

Thanks Wet. Will do. I'll be mixing tonight. I'll keep you all posted!

Alright guys! Thanks for all the help I've got my setup and everything ready to go. Seeds were germed and going into solo cups with promix and a little bit of happy frog due to mychorrize(sp) for root development. I will be starting a grow journal later tonight with all the details and my mixes and nute schedule along with grow room info. All other info will be updated in the GJ! Look out for 10 Nirvana Northern Lights seeds to be showin their heads in a few days! I appreciate all the input and came up with my own little ideas. Bits and pieces of everyone's ideas and made up my own. I hope you all follow along and green mojo to all! Happy trails everyone.

Latest posts

Back