Woke up this morning.... And there she was

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabrw0ke

Reaction score
I've been posting about my growing on the Intro, since I'm a newbie, but I just wanted to drop in here today and do some update.

I had a plant about a week ago that I had in my 12/12 closet for over a week and it finally showed me that it was a male. This was my first plant, so I shugged my sholders and figured that's how it would be. So after my boy friend up rooted it and cooked it down I took my other plant (Well I have more than a few, but there all diff ages), that's about a week younger than the male was, and put it in 12/12 it's been in there for I'd say 3 days (I put it in there christmas night), and I woke up this morning and there are oh so tiney lil' pistels poping out, I'm so excited! This is my first female! I will deff' update and put pictures up, it's not the best looking plant, because this is my first grow (I think there not as compact as they should be, kinda spindly). I told my boy frined "If this makes two little buds, I would be happy!"

Anyways I got to get off here, but I will take some pictures later when you can see everything better.

I don't think I would have been able to do it without this sight. thanks!

congrats on the girl:yay::woohoo:

Maybe start a grow journal with pics in the grow journal section:)

good times congrats on the female! if they are stretched can you move your light coser or put something underneath the plant so she gets good light..what type of light are you using BTW?

2Dog said:
good times congrats on the female! if they are stretched can you move your light coser or put something underneath the plant so she gets good light..what type of light are you using BTW?

I always feel like I'm going to get introuble when I answer this question, because I know I'm not using the right amount here. In my 18/6 I have one of those two light holder floresent fixtures. It has two of those basic plant lights in it I think they are 40w each. I got them from Lowes. they are the real long ones made for growing plants. In the closet I can move the light up and down with the plants, but what happend is when I was starting plants and seeds, some lived and grew, some died, so I started more seeds and so on, so they all ended up diffrent hights. I also did not realize how close the plants really could be to the lights and how much more condenced they become if you leave them really close to the lights. (I learned this on my own with a couple of my plants).
SO In my 18/6 my first two came out kinda tall and and branched out, but now I have two in there that are quite compact, because I moved them up to the lights by placing things under the pots.
Now in my 12/12 area the lights are diffrent. We got them from a friend of ours who was moving and just passed them off to us (Our big plan was to just have one area and send them all into bud at once, but with the extra lights after we started we decided to make two areas). There are two thick florecent lights, they are shorter than my 40w ones, but they are still plant lights, I went to lowes and saw simmilar ones that said they were 20w each. So there are two of thoes. I also had another fixture for my houseplants, that I went ahead and stuck into the 12/12 it's a 20w also, probably.... I'm not positive tho. I know I'm doing it all half *** and I'm probably come out with half *** results because of it, but it's all I have for right now. I don't have the money to invest at this time. I will come the end of Jan tho, and intend to fix up the 12/12 much nicer than it is. I do have a fan in the 18/6, but not the 12/12 but I make sure to open the doors and let the air flow thew some.
With this being my first grow, and pretty much started out as an experiment, I had no idea that I would actually get to where I am... it's crazy. Now that I have actually gotten somewhere and have learned so much just from this little experiment, I really can't wait to start over the correct way. I think it will be a lot more fun, and I will get some amazing results. ;)

Female1.jpg

well I use flors actually..for vegging and my moms and clones..I love them. the key is to get them as close as possible to the plant. you can also bend her at this point to allow the light to hit all the way down..

Those "Grow Lights" actually put out very little usable light- they're more for making the plant look better than to make it grow.

Do as PuffinNugs suggested and get some better bulbs.

Do you have a fan blowing on her? Her stem looks a little fragile- how's she going to hold those giant buds up? ;)

Congratulations on the girl- good luck with her!

It is a lot of fun Jab, I feel the same way about it. Just make sure you get the good basics like a good digital ph tester that is sooo important and a fan for air circulation and lights. These folks on the forum can totally lead you in the right direction. Oh and Congrat's on your little girl I'm sending you pink and green mojo.

by getting 1/2results you mean getting like 1/2 of what your supposed to but i think these fluros might only grow you pistils and branches in flowering, i always veg with them but they cant flower a plant, imo keep em vegging till you can get some decent lighting. congrats for the girl :D

The whole light thing really confuses me really...... sorry I'm not trying to sound like an idiot. But if you can tell me JUST what I should buy I can do that. lol My grow "room" is actually my bedroom closet (We have two closets in our room, so one is for 18/6 and one is for 12/12), they are not too big, can maybe hold 4 large plants, that's a big maybe tho. I don't have a fan on her, I have a fan in the 18/6 only. I know I need one in the 12/12.....

OKAY so here's the thing, when I read about all these lights I get really confused and it all seems like a foren language to me! A guy at the store was trying to explain how the flourecents work for plants (and that you don't actually need 'plant' lights to grow your plants, that regular flourcents work the same). I was using them on Tomatos this summer in my room (before the MJ), I noticed that once I put the plants tin there they grew very tall, but never did grow bigger tomatos, just ripened up (I'm just now realizing this as I am typing).
Another thing I've noticed the Flourecents do not burn my plants, my hands nothing, they are very safe. I can have them right on top of my plants and they will not hurt the plants at all..... SO yes, I deff needed them closer than they were (I had them just sitting right above them, and moved them with there growth, but than again, there were all diffrent ages)....... AND LAST thing I notice my mother bought me an Aerogarden for christmas. It's pretty much a little hydroponics set up, very cool.... I did notice that the lights it use, are VERY strong, and VERY hot, they would burn the **** out of me......
what kind of lights are these? Should I be using these kind of lights in my 12/12 ?????

BBFan said:
Those "Grow Lights" actually put out very little usable light- they're more for making the plant look better than to make it grow.

Do as PuffinNugs suggested and get some better bulbs.

Do you have a fan blowing on her? Her stem looks a little fragile- how's she going to hold those giant buds up? ;)

Congratulations on the girl- good luck with her!

LOL I like that.... She is tiney, but suprisingly strong. I took one of my other taller ones and tied the tip of it down. IT's pretty awsome!
Another one I have I have been pinching the tops off of and it's a lil min bush, very cool too..... the last one is more compact but still prob too tall..... I really can't wait to start over it's going to be fun, because I have Learned SO much with this grow. I'm so lucky to have enough seeds to play with. :D

take a picture of a light.

Most kinds of lightbubs get hot lmao

There are all kinds of options in the lighting section. IMO you shouldn't have even germinated a seed before figuring out what you were going to need to grow it. Most use HID lamps, like metal halide for veg, and high pressure sodium for flower. You can get away with a flouro in veg though and many do. Do some homework, you will not get much if anything trying to flower with those lights...your wasteing your time and electricity.

Keep an eye on her--you might just be seeing new growth. I do not see any alternating nodes on your plant and generally, you need alternating nodes before your plant will show sex.

You are going to need WAY WAY more light to flower.

legalize_freedom said:
There are all kinds of options in the lighting section. IMO you shouldn't have even germinated a seed before figuring out what you were going to need to grow it. Most use HID lamps, like metal halide for veg, and high pressure sodium for flower. You can get away with a flouro in veg though and many do. Do some homework, you will not get much if anything trying to flower with those lights...your wasteing your time and electricity.

I have more than enough seeds to spare, like I said before this really was just an experiment. Anyways, I looked up the high pressure sodium lights, what watt should I use? Thank you.

Jabrw0ke said:
I have more than enough seeds to spare, like I said before this really was just an experiment. Anyways, I looked up the high pressure sodium lights, what watt should I use? Thank you.
it all depends on how big your area is and how much you wana grow...

Like ZEM said it depends on how big of an area you are going to grow in. I suggest reading everything you can here on lighting, ventilation, grow room design, and then start figuring out what you want to get out of a grow. Ask questions as you are reading and figure out what you want. Once you have read and asked everything that you need to know, then you will be ready to tackle a grow. Maybe in the meantime do an outdoor grow this spring? Good Luck to you.

Latest posts

Back