feminised seed??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy4105

The grass is greener...
Reaction score
hi all,
i would like to know what "feminised" seed are.
i.e process to making these seed.
thanx all replyers
cheers:ccc: :stoned: :tokie: :smoke1:

Feminized sees are seeds that are made from females only. Basically it works like this. A seed manufacturer takes about 100 females, picks 10 of the best and makes about 100 clones. Then of these clones they take a certain amount of the best and put them into flowering. After about the buds begin to form they spray the FEMALE plant with a type of silver solution. They do this once or twice a day until the female plant starts to produce male parts. These male parts only contain the X chromosone. (to make a male you need XY, females are XX.....pretty sure that´s it) Anyways, the male parts are then used to fertilize the female parts which will be guaranteed females.

Problems with this: Well, it is like incest. Which means deformities. For example, I am growing with feminized seeds and all seeds germinated. I had one germinate with only one leaf (died) Now I have two plants with deformed leaves, and one is a triploid (three leafs instead of the two set) the other two are "normal" but have very different physical characteristics.

kindphriend said:
Feminized sees are seeds that are made from females only. Basically it works like this. A seed manufacturer takes about 100 females, picks 10 of the best and makes about 100 clones. Then of these clones they take a certain amount of the best and put them into flowering. After about the buds begin to form they spray the FEMALE plant with a type of silver solution. They do this once or twice a day until the female plant starts to produce male parts. These male parts only contain the X chromosone. (to make a male you need XY, females are XX.....pretty sure that´s it) Anyways, the male parts are then used to fertilize the female parts which will be guaranteed females.

Problems with this: Well, it is like incest. Which means deformities. For example, I am growing with feminized seeds and all seeds germinated. I had one germinate with only one leaf (died) Now I have two plants with deformed leaves, and one is a triploid (three leafs instead of the two set) the other two are "normal" but have very different physical characteristics.

guaranteed females.
..not true

Sure enough 'sounds' like they are worth 3-5 times more than the amount ordinarily charged for regular old boy and girl seeds. 2 "normal" plants that are probably female, but may harbor hermie tendency, and don't appear stable(2 differentphenos).
Yup, sounds like they have that process down to a flawless art.
I believe you could have gotten 2 healthy females from "any" pack of seeds, without the chemical alteration of any chromosones....and for a LOT less money.

One thing you should know about feminized seeds, is that they aren't guaranteed females. There are other factors to take into consideration, like stress, temperature, and light to name a few. Also, when the company says it's 99% certain to turn into female, look at the fine print. Most good seed companies will include the fact that 99% is under optimum growing conditions.

totally right there hick! sorry bout that....99% is almost guaranteed....but definately not 100%. Hoping that i don´t get hermies:confused: . I must admit that I have done a little lst and accidentaly broke some lower branches:eek: so stress might be an issue:confused: but i´ll be keeping an eye out for balls!

Latest posts

Back