just a couple of questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericho

Reaction score
i apologise for my ignorance when it comes to growing. very new to this.

so this is mainly about the lighting. i understand it is one of the most important things when growing, i have read a couple different forums and most of them all state different things, after looking some of the pics here i can tell that most ppl know what they are doing.

i am going to start growing from seed, i understand that it should be germinated 1st and that can be done in a sponge of some damp tissue and then in the soil they go as soon as they start to crack, once i have done this what should the lighting routine be like. some websites state that it should be 12 hours on and 12 hours off. is this right? and how long should it be done like this and should i change the routine after they start to grow?

I like to put seedlings under a flor light 24/7 it costs very little and allows me to get the light withint an inch of the plants with no heat damage,

when they are too big for the flor to be effective..about 6 inches I move them under a 400 watt mh and put them at 20/4 or 18/6 depending on how quickly i need them to grow..

when they are ready to bud..I like 18-24 inches of plant as they can tripple in size I put them under 600 watt hps 12/12

hope that helps!

I germ in paper towels in nice 70 ish degree area..roots like moisture to pop..

Read thru the stickys first, write notes down. Design your grow space first before getting things rockin. You have a few weeks before that seed after hatching and running under simple Home Depot 4' or 2' ballasts with bulbs around the corner there, green box. There aquariam bulbs. You have some homework to do. Post back with questions.

Well i have spent about 4 hours looking around all the beginners info on the forum and your links (thanks btw) and i have got most of the basic points down.

Some questions now after i have done my studying

i shouldnt have to worry about cooling so much because the weather here ussualy is a good 25c-35c here most of the year and i hear that is an ideal temp to grow. is that right?

I was thinking as a grow area i have a large fishtank about 6ft long, 3ft wide, and about 4ft high. black out paper on the outside and white on the inside for better reflection, and a cfl reflector hanging above it as tater mentions here on his sig.
I have actualy thought of putting it on a hight adjustable hinge to the fish tank leaving about 3 inches away from the top of tank to allow some ventilation. that way i can adjust the hight depending on hight of plant.

And also have to lid so i can black it out when need be.
Im not looking to grow anything to large or to many at a time. its only gonna be for my self.

Comments, suggestions and advise welcome from all. trying to learn as much as possibe so that i minimize any waste

in the dimensions you've stated above, you can get set up for quite a few "small" plants in there...i would use lots of T8's or T5's to vegg with and 2 400-600w HPS's for flower..you growin' in dirt ?

look at the "first awesome grow" link in my sig....it'll give you a few pointers.

what type of grow are you planning on doing in the aquarium?

Me? Are you saying they don't work? All 40 of the plants below were run under Home Depot $9 bulbs for clones.

Jericho said:
Well i have spent about 4 hours looking around all the beginners info on the forum and your links (thanks btw) and i have got most of the basic points down.

Some questions now after i have done my studying

i shouldnt have to worry about cooling so much because the weather here ussualy is a good 25c-35c here most of the year and i hear that is an ideal temp to grow. is that right?

you also need to consider the temperature of the lights that you'll be using. T5 lights don't get too hot, but they will still increase the temperature of the area slightly.

HID lighting such as HPS or MH lights produce a lot of heat and should really be at least air cooled in order to maintain the correct temp in a tent.

Also, you need to consider how you are going to ventilate this. The plants will need fresh air exchange so that they can soak up the CO2 (carbon dioxide) in the air.

Here's a good explanation of alternating nodes.

edit
RESOURCES
look under the "sexing" guide specifically

tt for xx

Am I in the clear for external links to other forums?

surreptitious said:
you also need to consider the temperature of the lights that you'll be using. T5 lights don't get too hot, but they will still increase the temperature of the area slightly.

HID lighting such as HPS or MH lights produce a lot of heat and should really be at least air cooled in order to maintain the correct temp in a tent.

Also, you need to consider how you are going to ventilate this. The plants will need fresh air exchange so that they can soak up the CO2 (carbon dioxide) in the air.

:yeahthat: Good ventilation and air exchange is as important as your lighting. I see some problems using something that you cannot cut into the sides or bottom of for ventilation.

hmm i see your points. i shall go and study a lil more and then come back with some more ideas hehe. Thanks all. past 2 days i have learnt more that the while 10 years ive been smoking

ventilation is a must, and I was wondering the same thing with an aquarium, you would avout have to make a hood of some kind that your light either attatched to, or the bottom of your reflector hung flush with the top of the aquarim, with a cut-out of some sort for the light. and then on both ends of the hood you could cut one intake, and on the other end put a small fan sucking out the air...I see it in my head...lol...but I probably make no sense on here

:yeahthat:
I was thinking the same thing. It makes sense. But must be an easier way. Look around for old cupboards at garage sales or something. Or look into building a box with ply-wood. A box can be put together for less than $100. And you don't need to be ultra handy.

well with the tank it would have vent from the top as it will be open when the lights are on. just when i put a lid on that it wont have vent, if i can solve that then should be ok. i mean the hood i can make with a vent in it so the bulbs dont effect the heat that much. but then when i want to black it out its gonna be hard to vent.

Think i may go with plywood and just construct somthing my self. that way i can have it fit nicely as well. and also make adjustments as i like. with the tank its pretty much have it how it is or dont use it.

My Flower box is made of plywood, it is 4'x4'x6' and I built it for around 50 bucks (not including grow eqpt., just the box)...I would consider using something other than an aquarium to...it will just make things easier on you.

how deep should it be? i mean whats the ideal size for a grow box if i wanna grow about 8-10 plants? dont want em gettin to big, im gonna grow from seed always

it all depends on what kind of light you are going to use..I have a 600w hps in my 4'x4'x6' and just tonight put in another 400w, this is overkill for my space 16 sq ft, I could have got away with just the 600w, but I had the 400 laying around doing nothing, so I put it in there more lumens=more bud. I use to run the 400w in a 1 1/2'x3'x6', and I had 6 3' plants in there at one time, but it was really tight, and I actually yeilded more when I only grew 4 plants in there. I think because they had room to stretch out a little bit.

I'm only growing 6 plants in my space right now, but they take up all 16 sq ft...I could and will next time put alot of smaller plants in there, but it will still yeild about the same...do a little reading on it and then make up your mind.

im gona construct a hood and gonna have 400w and 600w hps bulbs in it for about a 4x4 grow area (gonna go with making a box).

do i need any thing but just a plug on a 600w and a 400w hps bulb? as in is it to powerfull just to plug into the mains? (dont wanna blow the mains or anything)

read on another thread that that should be a good amount of light. and when it comes to what im gonna plant it in whats best? is normal plant soil ok for it with some nutrients after or should i just go out and get one with it all in it? Read that the seeds dont need the nutes in the begining only some weeks into it. is it worth the extra cost?

and finaly as i keep saying i dont wanna grow anything to big so was thinking about using a canopy to stop it growing to high, forgot what its called. how deep should the box be? dont wanna cramp the roots

Sorry if i ask alot just cant make sence of everything on the forum, its alot of info to take in in a short time and aint got all the terms down yet

Jericho said:
im gonna have 400w and 600w hps bulbs in it for about a 4x4 grow area (gonna go with making a box).

i think you have answered your own question dude.... now decide 6'-7'-8' tall your 4x4 sounds like it would be 4' deep and 4' long by how ever high you make it.. answer a question for yas :D
LH

Latest posts

Back