1000 watt hps owners PLZ HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celebrity Bob

Reaction score
I need to know a good distance to keep the light from my plants. My leaves are getting waxy and tops wilt a little. I tried the warm hand trick and no luck. Plz help! thank you

i use 1ks

how old are the plants ?

and what sort of fans/cooling do you have going on around, on, or near the light?

if the hand trick isnt working tho, why dont you begin by maybe 5" higher than were you think it should be with your hand?

i read thru your links, and im assuming that you are just starting out with some seedlings? if thats the case i do about 30-32" so begin. 24" can get a little too hot for my liking. I have a fan attached to the wall blowing the air away from the light tho. So you will need to consider factors such as that as well.

put the light more than 4 ft away to start. more like 5 if there young. 1k is alot for youn plants . it might be good to harden them to the light- a few hrs under the big light then back to flos......and increase the time more n more timm there under it all day.

if the leaves are cupping together and have hard ridges then your stunting growth. so move the light up up and away right now.

trillions of atoms said:
put the light more than 4 ft away to start. more like 5 if there young. 1k is alot for youn plants . it might be good to harden them to the light- a few hrs under the big light then back to flos......and increase the time more n more timm there under it all day.

if the leaves are cupping together and have hard ridges then your stunting growth. so move the light up up and away right now.

I agree.. I run 1k as well and those Young Ladies need time to grow and get strong..I killed some early on with mine...raise them up and pPLENTY of air flow in/out...:)

the hand trick works to a point but with young plants and 1k lights the probs come from light intensity. think of it more as a sunburn than a "heat" burn.
i use cool tubes and extra cool air for the air intake in a open loop system so i can hold my hand on the tube itself without burning the poo outa my hand. even tho its that cool it will still cook all my babies overnight if the light is less than 3' from the tops.
im alil on the medicated side so i hope this helps, if not your not high enough lol

i got 8 inch exhaust on all of my 1000's....do they get hot, hellz nah.

:hairpull: NEVER USE 1k :hairpull: :ignore: :ignore: Well thats what ive heard too much light man 2 400hps will do a better job is what i hear and im stickin 2 it :rolleyes:

Cook_ said:
:hairpull: NEVER USE 1k :hairpull: :ignore: :ignore: Well thats what ive heard too much light man 2 400hps will do a better job is what i hear and im stickin 2 it :rolleyes:

"Too much light".???.. ":hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:" is RIGHT!!!..
How do you explain the sun?? the intensity of the sun is far greater than a 1k...
5000 lumens per sq ft is considered optimal. A 1k has more/deeper penetrating value than a or two 400's.

Latest posts

Back