1000w HPS 20" away - still have light burn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
So, my 1000w HPS bulb is currently 20" from the nearest plant and its top leaves are curling up and there is light burn in various places.

I was going to put it up higher, but then I saw that the lumen output becomes significantly lower the further away from the plants the light is.

What does it mean and what do I do?

Move your light up til you can leave your hand comfortable under the light for a few minutes. If it is hot on your hand it is too hot for the plants.

Move your light.

20" seems a bit far away to be light burn, but if you are certain that is what it is---then move it away some more

curling and burning leaves may be signs of other things going on---if you spot up with some pics---you will likely get some more accurate advice

I am with orange--it sounds too far away to have light burn. I have mine at 12" away now without glass and without burn. What are the temps in your tent? Could you post up a picture? Can you give us a rundown on your space? Ventilation? Size, Etc. I am thinking that you have some other issue rather than the light being too close.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think the culprit might be the temps. They're in the 29-31C range when the lights are on. Too hot, right?

Btw, @The Hemp Goddess: I never understood the quote in your sig. Well behaved men rarely make history, as well.

If you are using additives, this could make your plants more light sensitive. Ive run the same strain under 1000w in hydro for 2 years and the only time I had light burn was when I tried using Koolbloom powder. I tried it twice. Once with summer temps, and once with winter temps. My room never gets above 85 F in summer or 70 F in winter but both times they crisped up. It was definitely light burn and not nute burn.

i have not used a light likethat but have read that a cool tubefor the light helps with that problem.

that or you got sometype of nute burn..

Are you misting them or spilling water that you didn't really think about till now?

Actually, now that I think of it, I think the culprit might be the temps. They're in the 29-31C range when the lights are on. Too hot, right?

Btw, @The Hemp Goddess: I never understood the quote in your sig. Well behaved men rarely make history, as well.

The author of this was born in 1938, a time when women had little rights. She is a historian of early America and the history of women and a university professor at Harvard University. This the title of a book and is about important women in history and the ruckus they had to raise--people like Rosa Parks.

The way I take the quote is that women have HAD TO raise a little hell to be "heard"--if all women remained quiet and prim and proper, we may still not be able to vote. I have had an interesting life in that I have had a lot of "guy jobs". I have had to fight and kick to get the things I did. I found that I had to work harder and know more than the men who did the same job just because I was a woman. I have been turned down for jobs or not promoted because I was a woman. Things are far better, but we really are still a ways away from true sexual equality.

PS--yes, 29-31C is too hot.

The author of this was born in 1938, a time when women had little rights. She is a historian of early America and the history of women and a university professor at Harvard University. This the title of a book and is about important women in history and the ruckus they had to raise--people like Rosa Parks.

The way I take the quote is that women have HAD TO raise a little hell to be "heard"--if all women remained quiet and prim and proper, we may still not be able to vote. I have had an interesting life in that I have had a lot of "guy jobs". I have had to fight and kick to get the things I did. I found that I had to work harder and know more than the men who did the same job just because I was a woman. I have been turned down for jobs or not promoted because I was a woman. Things are far better, but we really are still a ways away from true sexual equality.

PS--yes, 29-31C is too hot.

Oh, I know! When I own my own business (with the money I will make off of the marijuana that I will continue to grow), I hope to hire as many female employees as possible. I think women are overlooked in the work-force because they have qualities that most men don't perceive, such as an ability to learn new skills quicker.

But I still think the quote is a little too feminist. I'm more of a huminist myself.

I'm going to try and get my air-conditioner onto the window in my grow room, but it's a big muthafucka and the window isn't made for it.. back to the drawing board :)

Latest posts

Back