12/1 Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamster6

Reaction score
By Dennis FordI’d like to talk about a subject you will here about often on cannibus dyno The 12/1 lighting method.
The 12/1 is a very simple concept, but for some reason has been very hard to catch on. People just don’t believe its that easy or that it works as well as it does.
In a standard lighting scheme, we have all come to believe in basically one or two camps. I won’t get into who’s behind the whole “conspiracy” of keeping 12/1 out of the masses, but if you want to hear some good **** please see John P. RN (you know who!) or Joseph Pietri on Facebook. There are some interesting stories, but the truth is the current methods that 99% of growers use create a very telltale footprint for LEO to follow if they begin to suspect you.
I’ve found that for veg growth there are the two camps of 18/6 and 24/0 (18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness, this is not how 12/1 works though, that will be explained below). The fact is that all plants need a darkness period to process the days energy into food and growth. Therefore your doing yourself absolutely no favors using a 24/0 for anything other than cloning. All you have to do is look outside, there are only 2 places on earth that ever get 24 hour light at any point, and you aren’t going to find ANYTHING growing there. Cloning of course is not of nature, we are tricking nature, so we put the plant into a constant light period to facilitate this. We’ll talk a lot more about cloning someday in another post. 18/6 works on the other hand, but the truth is your wasting light. Its time to wake up! Its time to trick nature again!
Truth is you really only need to break up the photosynthesis dark period with an hour of light to maintain veg, and in doing so you give the little lady a massive darkness processing/growth period. 12/1 is simply 12 hours on, 5.5 hours off, 1 hour on, and 5.5 hours off. Then repeat through your entire veg period.
Again!
12 hours ON, 5.5 hours OFF, 1 hour ON, and 5.5 hours OFF for each 24 hour period.
This is only for VEGETATIVE PERIOD, we have another simple process to follow for flowering.
We are also not going to discuss nutrients or tea’s just yet either. Those will be other posts coming soon.
For vegetation, this is all you need to know lighting wise. Trust me, I was skeptical at first too, but John P. RN really convinced me after spending a couple years of listening to Joseph Pietri to try it. It worked great for him, and now it works great for me.
One of the obvious first things you’ll see is a significant drop in your power bill. Who doesn’t love that? But also your doing one other thing, breaking up the light period to prevent a multi-year footprint that LEO might find matches footprints they are looking for.
FOR FLOWERING!
Flowering is simple as well, but its important during this delicate period in a plants life cycle to follow as closely what the evolution of the plant is looking for. Veg is different, the plant just wants to grow as big and lovely as it can. During flowering the plant is following a very specific genetic code for its conduct to continue the propagation of its species. This is why we adjust our lighting every 2 weeks.
When we begin flowering, move everything to 11 hours on, and 13 hours off. You will keep this for 2 weeks, then drop the lighting period by 30 minutes, I.E. after two weeks you will switch to 10.5 hours on, and 13.5 hours off. Continue this 30 minute drop every 2 weeks until you reach 9 hours on/ 15 hours off. Finish your flowering at this lighting.
Trust me, have a look at some of the pics below. These plants were all grown, in the various stages you see here, using these methods.
12/1 works people, save yourself some money, and maybe just save your ***!
Dennis Ford, Cannabis Dynamics
Big thank you to John P. RN and Joseph Pietri!

12 hours ON, 5.5 hours OFF, 1 hour ON, and 5.5 hours OFF for each 24 hour period. Is one of the way Soma posted about using to make feminized seeds.

interesting article. It is passing on several forums. Lots of critics on boards but really no basis on testing completely that I see.

I would like to try this on one round and see what the results are. If it truely does work Im Game!!!

t6

Pffff seeds take too long :rofl:

;)

ozzydiodude said:
12 hours ON, 5.5 hours OFF, 1 hour ON, and 5.5 hours OFF for each 24 hour period. Is one of the way Soma posted about using to make feminized seeds.

that dont make me feel good about buying my Somango femmed.

stress induced hermies should never be used for breeding imo

This sounds familiar though...anyone ever "waste" their money on DNAs OG18s1?

I say waste because most of them hermed on me...but that one true male that i used to breed really must have been the cream of the crop.

Be it light stressing or chemical stressing it's still using a non naturals way to make a plant make seeds and IMO should not be sold period. I believe the femmed seeds being made today are also why we are seeing so many hermies anymore.

Lots of Nehhh's on here but nobody that has really tested it. Hell I love tests and being I am running the Rooies two rounds next round I will try it and post the grow. I already know about what the yield should be so it will be a relative comparison.

t6

Studies have shown that you get about 50% less yield with a 10/14 light schedule as a 12/12 light schedule.

I have to say that I take everything I see on the internet with a grain of salt...anyone can make anything look like anything they want. All the "scientific" stuff I have read indicates that less than 12 hours of light produces less bud.

I also have to say that LEOs finding footprints is way way way down my list of worries. What is the reasoning behind the vegging light schedule (rather the LEO thing)?

ozzydiodude said:
Be it light stressing or chemical stressing it's still using a non naturals way to make a plant make seeds and IMO should not be sold period. I believe the femmed seeds being made today are also why we are seeing so many hermies anymore.

actually i believe the plants that are going to be chemically treated need to be tested to see how prone they are to becoming a stress induced hermie. a plant that hermies up easy to light leaks, or one that hermies up do to small pots, stuff like that shouldnt be used .i believe fem seeds do produce more hermie prone plants, but alot of the time it is the breeders just throwing out stuff fast. a plant that can take all the stress you can trhow at it would be a good canidate for a chemical treatment. the nanners from the treatments will be the exact genetic of the plant, i think it is. so it should still be resistance to stress and not likely to hermie up (suppose to anyways, still beileve fem seeds increased the chance somewhat even if its not alot)

Without trying it you can only speculate. I must admit I am doubting it myself but rather than turn my head I am going to test it. According to the original artical a lot of veggie farmers are also useing this lighting schedule. We will see in about three weeks I think as I will run another bunch of rooie, and black rose clones and give it a whirl.

t6

look foward to seeing what happens out of it.

to me just seems unnatural and unneeded stress, stretching but since i never tried anything like that i have no say.

Yeah Im hearing you puffinnuggs sounds crazy but the overall energy savings on a grow would be a great plus. Yields and growth are supposed to increase. Here is another readers comments

No one is more copied but seldom matched than Mr. Delp, who to me is the top grower of our generation. The first time he impressed me he showed me 2 plants, planted next to one another, 1 completely covered in powdery mildew, the other completely clean and beautiful. He was developing mildew and mold resistant genetics.

In the late 90’s Reinhard brought back the gas lantern routine that you find in any college grade horticulture book, and applied it to cannabis. Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage. The 18-6 lighting schedule in vegetation, actually stress your plants, that never get that much light in one-day outdoors. Cannabis is an outdoor plant. Growing indoors you should copy how it grows outdoors. No Cannabis growing in Afghanistan gets 18 hours of light in growth pattern. Most strains today have some part Indica in their genetic pool. Even equatorial strains don’t get 18 hours of sun a day.

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state! Your immediate savings are 5 hours in energy costs daily, as well as your bulbs and equipment lasting longer. But how do the plants react to this lighting schedule?

You see immediate growth response from your plants, they are happy from the added rest time. By day 14 the plants tripled in size. The plants are bushy with twice as many bud sites without topping or bending, In fact when you top and stretch your plants out, you get many more bud sites than you would have had under 18-6 using same procedure of topping and stretching plant, your growing bigger and better and faster.

So your saving 5 hours daily in energy costs, as well as your excellerated growth pattern which also saves you time and energy and equipment use.

In the flowering stage, never use 12-12, start your flowering period at 11 hours on 13 hours off. When your are growing outdoors each day you get less and less sun light, you should copy the way the sun acts naturally in your indoor grow. So first 2 weeks of flower you go 11 on 13 off, the next 2 weeks you go down to 10.5 on 13.5 off, next 2 weeks 10 on 14 off, next two weeks 9.5 on 14.5 off and the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You’ll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors.

Cannabis is an outdoor plant and you should copy the way it grows outdoors indoors. The only thing that 18-6, and then 12-12 lighting schedule's do is make the energy companies rich as well as the people who sell lights and equipment, the more you use the more you spend. 12-1 lighting schedule is a more natural way to grow indoors and you well have the best results you have ever had and save as much as 50% in energy costs

HERES ANOTHER GROWERS COMMENTS : Originally Posted by reverof
I love it when people jump when certain people say something.... you were testing this method for your own trials, but you were testing a never before strain, you stop your test in the middle and never get to see a true result.

Again i will state this: I have had a friend running this schedule 12-1 for veg and 11-13 for flower for over a year now, in a LARGE grow, his final numbers have consistently been higher yields (though not much) than 18/6 and saves a ton on util bills. We are talking 10 1000w lights in veg and 10 in flower.

Hell even on lemon haze auto's that I am running in my veg room have I seen huge difference in the 12-1 in the growth and now bud sites, these were plants i was expecting it to hinder. I grew this same strain before and average plant height was about 27 inches at harvest, my average right now is 31 inches and minimal to no stretching, honestly felt I had more top stretching in 18/6 on my auto's.

I don't get what people constantly complain about the 1 hour in between the 5.5's as its only purpose is to keep them in veg, sure they get alittle charge out of the hour but not much. Though it is not exact to nature, the 12 hours a day of light is much closer than 18/6 or 20/4.

In veg there is much more stress by many growers than a little light for an hour, and if 1 hour of light does major stress to a plant, then what do you think 20 hours of light does to the plant?

I respect Uncle ben's opinions, but as far as seen differences and actual trials done, and watching major grows using this, i cannot put this method down in any way shape or form. I am just sad I didnt pick up using this schedule well before now.

Personally...I veg my moms and small clones under 24/0 using 6 T8 bulbs. That's like 180watts. Savings under 20$ a month is what your talking about in that room....The big MH comes out for ~2 weeks or so (1000 watts) before the flip; and those are 24/0... so it's not long enough of a time to worry about cost vs. the possibility of herms.

Vegging plants is by far the cheapest part of the journey of indoor growing. I wouldn't go changing my timers around on a whim for a few dollars a month.

Besides, it's a fact that plants produce more bud per square inch when vegged under 24/0 due to less space between the nodes...no "night time stretch."

:ignore: :ignore: Now remember og if this works great with a great yield your gonna have to eat all your seed stock instead of plant it:icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Ha Ha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

t6

Hey I'm down. I'll make a Poppy and Marijuana Seed bread. I got no drug tests to worry about and didn't really want to be fertile

:rofl:

contrary information???.. fuzzy math???..;)

Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage
Cannabis is an outdoor plant and you should copy the way it grows outdoors indoors.
..personally, I think we should be trying to provide a more optimal environment, rather than copy..
12 hours ON, 5.5 hours OFF, 1 hour ON, and 5.5 hours OFF for each 24 hour period.
I've never seen this "in nature"....

My outdoor plant have, for over 30 years, flowered under more than 13 hours of daylight.
August 15 sunrise/sunset/twilight for my area...
Twi N: 5:08am
Twi: 5:43am
Sunrise: 6:12am
Sunset: 7:57pm
Twi: 8:26pm
Twi N: 9:01pm

Sep. 15
Twi N: 5:42am
Twi: 6:14am
Sunrise: 6:41am
Sunset: 7:09pm
Twi: 7:36pm
Twi N: 8:08pm

My outdoor plants NEVER see only 11 hours of daylight. They always finish before reached nature.

June 22..15 hr from sunrise to sunset) 19 from twilight to twilight...
Twi N: 4:18am
Twi: 5:00am
Sunrise: 5:32am
Sunset: 8:32pm
Twi: 9:04pm
Twi N: 9:46pm

Light cycles and seasons vary as one approaches the equator. Near 200 north latitude (Hawaii, India, and Thailand where most of the finest drug Cannabis originates), the photoperiod never varies out of the range critical for THC production, between 10 and 14 hours. The light cycle at 200 north latitude starts at the summer solstice when the photoperiod is just a little over 13 hours. This means that a long season exists that starts earlier and finishes later than at higher latitudes. However, because the photoperiod is never too long to induce flowering, Cannabis may also be grown in a short season from December through March or April (90 to 120 days). Strains from these latitudes are often not as responsive to photoperiod change, and flowering seems strongly age-determined as well as light determined. Most strains of Cannabis will begin to flower when they are 60 days old if photoperiod does not exceed 13 hours. At 200 latitude, the photoperiod never exceeds 14 hours, and easily induced strains may begin flowering at nearly any time during the year.
........THC production requires the proper quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the biosynthetic processes operate efficiently when low light conditions prevent proper photosynthesis. Research has shown (Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photoperiod.
from Clarkes "Marijuana botany"...

Dang Hick thats quite a list:rofl: :rofl:

I guess I better hurry and get these babies started so we can see if this guy is full of it or not:yay: :yay: :yay:

t6

Latest posts

Back