1st Grow Box!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How shall I proceed next?

• Utilize LST + Topping Techniques

• Utilize topping + SOG techniques

• Just do SOG

• Build a bigger box already

Results are only viewable after voting.

shizahboy

Newbie Doobie
Reaction score
I'm a newbie interesting in doing a pc micro grow. I have already made a box, and I have started three plants. I am hoping for at least one strong female (I actually hope that two are male so I can use the space for one plant) I am NOT interested in obtaining a maximum yield, nor am I expecting more than an ounce. I realize that my box has VERY limited space (Only 12" tall!!!). I am going to have to utilize LST and topping techniques, obviously, and I will make a bigger box later if need be. Lights are 3 CFLs, spring white 23w. (each producing 1,600 lumens) Ventilation consists of two PC fans hooked up to cell phone chargers. I realize I may have to settle for a short plant, so I hope to cultivate a bush. I will update this thread if popular enough. Constructive criticism will be appreciated.

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

that setup is looking pretty good, going over some things as in type of soil, ph and if u will be using any nutes, watering schedule, if u are working with 18/6 or 24/0 just more information to have a better grasp on ur grow. strain if u do know (indica/sativa) all these factors come in to ur size and proportion and how early u can switch to 12/12 as some strains mature earlier that others. and YES topping will be ur main goal in this grow.

It's bagseed, so I dunno what kind of weed it is :). It's on a 18/6 lighting cycle right now, and it's only four days in since the initial sprouting. I'm using straight up Whitney Farms organic soil (forum posters in general seem to not favor Miracle Grow, but I saw some positive feedback from people who used Whitney Farms...lol it's even HippyinEngland's signature says no MC). I am not CURRENTLY planning to use any nutes. As for watering schedule, I'm just giving each sprout a water-bottlecap full of water. But advice and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!! I'm new to this :p

These are the questions that are bugging me ATM:
1. How to tell when a plant is mature enough to switch to flowering?
2. When approx. can I sex the plant?
3. The height and nature of the cut needed for topping effectively.
4. How small can i grow the plant to maturity, and how much yield would you suppose I could get? (I realize that most people's advice is to help achieve max yield from a plant; however, I am looking to get a short bushy plant...I'd rather not have to make another box, as PC cases just don't come by every day...

For the tight space an unknown srain, maybe you could sex in a few weeks by switching to 12/12 then take a clone or two and ditch the mom. This way you could use smaller root ball and smaller pots and top and lst..I am still rather new to this but for a small area clones could be best.

1. at the nodes of ur plant you will see 1 of 2 things either pistils, flowers popping or pollen sacs forming.

2.this also depends on strain but u can start sexing as soon as 3rd week of veg. but still the plant will show its sex when it wants. :D even if it stays under 12/12.

3. maybe its a little early to think about topping, u could do some reading until the time comes, but for now jus worry about vegetation and read plenty and u will learn something new everyday.

4.YOU control ur grow, ur plant can be a monster 12foot beast or a fully ready to harvest 12" mother, so its the factors and techniques you perform that give you the desired results that u seek.

Wow you guys are helpful. Okay, so I think I'll go into flowering in the 3rd week.
I'm also going to look into cloning, as per growright35's suggestion.

Thank you all. I'll post pics as I go.

That is a nice setup you have going there. You will need a different light (hps or at least warm spectrum flouros) when it comes flower times.
The only thing I can say about bagseed, it is likely to be sativa or sativa mix, which will want to get BIG, which can be hard to do in a box.
The idea of sexing and cloning is excellent, it will make the overall grow a bit easier as far as size of plant, plus you can get an idea of how big the plant gets to get ideas on how soon to top.
1. How to tell when a plant is mature enough to switch to flowering?
I believe the rule of thumb here is to look for alternating nodes. At first, the plant will be kind of symetrical in growth, but will soon alternate nodes on the stalk (as far as hieght). At this time, the plant should begin to pre-flower, which will show its sex and at which is ready to go into 12/12.
2. When approx. can I sex the plant?
Once you the plant is sexually mature, switching to 12/12 will show sex is abouts 2 weeks. Or if you continue veg, once sexually mature, a plant will begin to pre-flower which will also show the sex in abouts 2 weeks.
3. The height and nature of the cut needed for topping effectively.
This depends on the plant and/or your grow space. Rule of thumb, A plant will abouts double in size once you flower during the stretch phase. If you have 12" of grow space, you need an uber short plant. Really, clones are almost a must here. You don't want your plant to be more then 6 - 8 " tall and even then you will be doing some tieing down. I would say topping abouts 4 or 5".
You can keep that plant rediculously small if you woork for it. To make a Bonsai Mom plant, I top a clone once it has 4 nodes, maybe 4" tall.
I would heavily suggest some research on your part before making any hasty moves.
There should be videos on growing and texts about topping and FIMing (a form of topping).

mm. I think I'm gonna LST the healthiest (or only female, unless by some sick twist of fate I get all males or males and a hermie or two.... the chances are endless....I'm paranoid )

Then, I suppose I'll take some clones from it? I think that's a good plan for now...I just need to make a cloning case and install it next to the mother...
This sounds fun ...I started mostly because I needed a hobby...

Or could I just put the clones in small plastic plant trays? You know, the ones you buy flowers in or something?

I would say you have a plan. Keep studying and with the love wll come the skills. I have found all I need right here to get through my first grow which are at 8 wks 12/12 today. LOts of nervous moments but with each mistake comes knowledge...Good Luck on your first. By the way all I have grown is clones and find it the most efficient way for small grows...Study on cloning.

I thought it might be too early, but I used pipe cleaners to start LSTing the plants. Short as they may be, they'll grow around the pot in no time.

IMG_0178-1.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Looking pretty good. Watch the amount of water you give, maybe a lil every third day? And soon you may want to transplant to have more depth for tap root. That small space is gonna be interesting. Good Luck and be patient

shizahboy said:
I wear size 11 shoes.

:rofl: thanks for the chuckle..why did you stop LST? mojo your way..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

4u2sm0ke said:
:rofl: thanks for the chuckle..why did you stop LST? mojo your way..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Ummm another thread told me that I should wait until the 3rd week to start LSTing the plants, accounting for the fact that the stems are too young to "remember" the shape they are stressed in. They're starting to get bigger, so I will re-apply the LST soon.

:ciao: came back to vote..LST and topping methods inside that pc box ..IMO..you will be able to veg longer..pulling up my milk crate..packing my :bong1: and :watchplant: if ya dont mind..love these micros:aok: take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

do you have a fan genty blowing on them..and are the 2 pc fans ...1 intake ...1 exhaust? and that PC case..is it a mac..or IBM:giggle:

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao: came back to vote..LST and topping methods inside that pc box ..IMO..you will be able to veg longer..pulling up my milk crate..packing my :bong1: and :watchplant: if ya dont mind..love these micros:aok: take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

do you have a fan genty blowing on them..and are the 2 pc fans ...1 intake ...1 exhaust? and that PC case..is it a mac..or IBM:giggle:

Facts Thus Far for my PC Grow Operation:

Seeds: Bagseed. I don't know what kind exactly but I got high off the sack. So i don't doubt I'll get high off the final product. Growing for 2 weeks now.

Soil: Whitney Farms Organic Soil. No Nutes, mix... just plain soil. I know, I'm lazy.

Lights: 3 27w Spring White CFL's. Currently 18/6.

PC Box: 2 fans, top fan is for exhaust, bottom for intake. Made out of the hollowed remains of my mom's old windows computer.

So yeah....2 weeks into my micro grow! Should I top them soon? Use FIM? NOW use LST? Lol i know i read up on all this but all you guys are like the third half of my brain.

Latest posts

Back