1st grow, should I start to flower now and clone? How does she look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poop-dog

alright alright alright
Reaction score
OK, she (at least it appears to be a girl to me, can't get a good macro pic) is 2 months old today. I fimmed twice and topped once. She is in a 2 foot deep, 3 foot wide, 8 foot tall room. The seeds are bag seed. Is she an Idica? The stems have started to alternate now, so I guess she has matured.

I have had many problems, over watering, under watering, she fell over and was upside down for several hours, became root bound for about a week, but things seem cool now. First month was all out door. This month all cfls, 2 32w 65k and 4 32w5k on a 14 / 10 cycle. I know that's not ideal but that's what I can currently do.

She is in just normal pot soil, have been using miracle grow liquid food with every watering, a light dose.

I would love some feedback. Do things look good? My lights should have already been here but I have a feeling it will be another week or so. I know not ideal again but I am getting a T5 setup, 10,000 lumens, 100 watts. Both sets of bulbs coming as well (6500 and 2700). Should be adequate for the small space. This just all started as a whim for me. Would that light be good enough for two plants next grow, 3? How long is to long to wait to flower looking at her.

Not much of a smell, very very light. But, if you touch her, quite the stench on your skin. Is this common, expected, or even normal?

Lastly, should I clone now? From a couple bottom stems? Where can I get rockwool locally, home depot, lowes, a garden store?

Much appreciated!!!

1-aaa.jpg

2-aaa.jpg

3-aaa.jpg

She looks great man but your new light wont be enough. A 400 watt lamp would be perfect for your closet.

I think I can see some preflowers in that first pick when I zoom in on it. I would take clones then flower her once they root.

she kind of looks like a mix to me. More indica than sativa thats for sure she could just be kind of small my indicas are big bushes but give her time. I would clone her from areas that dont get much light, then veg her a bit longer then bud her ;) good luck!

Thank you everyone. Can't seem to locate the thanks button though....

I know the T5s are not ideal but I have read allot of posts here and there about how well fluorescent's are performing these days, although I do see most people go back to their HPS / Halide etc for flower.

I plan to keep the 6 cfls swapped over to 2700 on them as well. I do have an extra 2 x 96 watt 3 foot long power compact setup laying around. Just need the proper kelvin bulbs. PC lighting is not as efficient as T5 so they are (pulling out my ***) maybe 6k - 8k lumen output. Wouldn't this be enough to get a descent result?

lol I dont know all that stuff. I have mine in the closet under a 400 watt switchable. florescnet I use for my clones and baby plants. careful not to plug too much in. good luck! fi you live in the states craigslist.com has them cheap sometimes.

I am kind of stubborn when I want to try something. Just want to go for a fluorescent grow only. Will def post pics of how things turn out good or bad.

Finally got a clear macro pic, however it is not the angle I wanted. This is a girl, yes?

aaa-666.jpg

If you want to go with floros, i think you should have the 100w at the top and have the rest as sidelighting. Would give light to the whole plant since penetration is not that good compared to HID.

Looking very healthy, hope it's a girl.

Better pic, sure looks like a girl to me, but this is my first plant. How does it look to you?

aaa-bbb.png

Hi,

When I zoom in close at the pic in full resolution I can make out what looks like some pistils coming out so I think you do have a girl! Nice! :eek:

The biggest problem with flowering a large plant like that under fluoros is that there will be decent bud development at the top of the plant next to the light but those lights won't be able to penetrate to the lower branches with buds. Many growers do a decent job with fluoros but they often use pruning and training techniques like LST to keep more developing buds close to the light source. You've got a nice looking plant that will be a good learning experience for you. If you don't have any ventilation odor will become an issue with a few weeks of starting to flower so it's best if you start thinking of a plan to deal with odor now. Ventilation is your friend. An adequate air exchange in your grow space will give your plant the fresh air it needs for healthy growth and will prevent stagnate air from building up odors that can't escape and they eventually invade the rest of your home with that skunky smell...

Happy Growing!:cool:

Alright, you have sufficiently scared me know. I guess the future odor will be my next project. There is no ambient odor now, ho hum, lol!

thanks

Yup its a girl. I agree about the light too. A 400w HPS looks like it would be ideal for your space.

I do believe that you have a girl there. The T5s are the best fluoros there are out there right now, actually producing more lumens per watt than some of the lower wattage MH bulbs. However, like DOS mentioned, they have very little penetration and plants should be kept short and/or use advanced techniques.

Some strains have very little smell and need little in the way of odor control, but your plants need a constant supply of fresh CO2 while the lights are on. You should try and exchange the air in your space 3-4 times a minute.

I am new, and I was thinking it was small so far, but all the posts have said otherwise. Since HTG is behind, I should be able to change my order to the 400 hps magnetic ballast, reflector, and bulb for just 20 bucks more than what I already spent. I will give 'em a call tomorrow. I did want to avoid the added heat but the consensus is HPS.

Thanks everyone.

400 watts just seems like such overkill for a 2 foot deep 3 foot wide room for 1 plant. I cant imagine squeezing more than 2 in there at a time. Anyway, got about 12 hours until I will call them. Any info on the 175, 250, vs the 400 watters would be appreciated. I do understand the more power I pump down the more yield I will get. I am just not necessarily yield oriented.

thanks

****-dog said:
400 watts just seems like such overkill for a 2 foot deep 3 foot wide room for 1 plant. I cant imagine squeezing more than 2 in there at a time. Anyway, got about 12 hours until I will call them. Any info on the 175, 250, vs the 400 watters would be appreciated. I do understand the more power I pump down the more yield I will get. I am just not necessarily yield oriented.

thanks

A 250 watt hps is ~ 29,000 lumens, just 1000 lumens short of having the 5000 lumens per sq/ft for ideal growth.

PD- I have a 600w in a 3x3x5' room. I just turned it on my first grow yesterday. Buy some sunglasses.:cool:

Growdude said:
A 250 watt hps is ~ 29,000 lumens, just 1000 lumens short of having the 5000 lumens per sq/ft for ideal growth.

Actually, 5,000 lumens per/sq ft isn't the best for ideal growth, it's the best for cost/growth.

The best for ideal growth would be 10,000 lumens per/sq ft which is about what the sun gives out at high noon near the equator.

The cost factor to providing 10K lumens would be prohibitive to most people when light costs, ventilation costs and electrical costs are considered.

5,000 lumens is the best amount of lumens when considering all of those factors and the yield.

Latest posts

Back