$20 Hps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkfarmer

It's growing like a WEED!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, saw a link on one of the threads here that sells a HPS fixture and bulb for $20. Can you grow with this light, not asking about watts, size of grow, or anything like that, just if the light can be used to grow. I was under the impression that you needed a certain type of bulb, like a hortilux or hydrofarm etc. Do all HPS bulbs have the correct spectrum for flowering plants? Thanks in advance.

i've seen some in with a 3000k spectrum but yes most hps bulbs are very close to the right spectrum needed to grow mj.. i think. i haven't seen every type of hps bulb on the market so i could be wrong but the ones i've seen and the ones from that thread will work.. hope this helps ya out

Ya man, these lights are a bargain. All the high-falootin' marketing terms might not apply to these lights, ie hortilux Son Agro etc that might give you a little boost, but they're HPS, put out a good amount of light and are well constructed. I have two going in my grow room now giving my a little extra punch at the end of flowering, and so I can definitely recommend them.

It's not very nice to tease us about $20 HPS and not provide the link;)

Here's the link to the original thread about them, the link to the light is in the first post:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29779

Just make sure, when you're wiring them, that you don't connect the ground from the light to the ground from the extension cord. That will cause the light to not work. Connect the ground from the light to one of the screws on the base of the light, and wrap the ground from the extension cord in electrical tape, because otherwise if it touches any metal the light will go out.

Just got mine and works great!Thanks for the tip!

DSCF5305.JPG

I just cut the end of a extension cord and spliced the proper wires together(wide side of plug to white(neutral),skinny side to black(live)).The ballast is built in but I took the whole thing apart and it could have easily been made into a remote ballast with a little extra wire.

That's really cool Time4T and it looks cool with all the CFL's. That looks like a LOT of light too. Definitely want to see the results.

Just an FYI for you guys, don't know who's interested but I also posted this in the original thread about the $20 150watt HPS... It takes 6 of them to get the output of an average 600 watt HPS, so if you plan on buying a lot of them to put together, it won't be worth it. 6 of these will put out 90,000 lumens, but use 900W, a 600W HPS will put out 90,000-100,000 lumens. In fact, a 400W HPS setup will put down 50,000 lumens, and with these 450W worth (someone said they bought 3) will put out 45,000 lumens. Think long term, it's not very efficient. You'll be using 50W more of power and getting 5,000 lumens less of light, just because you're saving $150 in the beginning... Oh well.

TommyBres said:
Just an FYI for you guys, don't know who's interested but I also posted this in the original thread about the $20 150watt HPS... It takes 6 of them to get the output of an average 600 watt HPS, so if you plan on buying a lot of them to put together, it won't be worth it. 6 of these will put out 90,000 lumens, but use 900W, a 600W HPS will put out 90,000-100,000 lumens. In fact, a 400W HPS setup will put down 50,000 lumens, and with these 450W worth (someone said they bought 3) will put out 45,000 lumens. Think long term, it's not very efficient. You'll be using 50W more of power and getting 5,000 lumens less of light, just because you're saving $150 in the beginning... Oh well.

But its excellent for small grow areas, like mine which is approx a 2x2. I don't need any extra lighting (maybe some extra cfls).

Oh absolutely, if you only plan on needing 15,000 lumens you can't beat the price. Just figured I'd post the info.

What if you replace the bulb with one that has higher lumens?

Latest posts

Back