24/7 vs.19/5 or 18/6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SKAGITMAGIC

Just curious how everybodys doing there light timeing indoors, I personnally like the 24/7 convienence but my girls seemed to prefer a little rest everyday, they were more lushious, on a 19/5 or 18/6, when I did 24/7, it defenitely caused me more problems during flowering, the plants seemed more likely to react to light leaks, and accidental door openings etc. man I've got alot of work in the little veg closet, I've got around 15 plants in there, it's only 30 inches by 60. The rest of the girls are doing well. Won't be long i'll be smoking them, I took these pics this morning right at lights on,

P1130026.JPG

P1130025.JPG

P1130021.JPG

P1130022.JPG

I have always done 18/6, but this time I tried 20/4. The girls are at 4 weeks and 5 days and they seem to love it, all but one or two have already shown sex and I will flip them at 5 weeks instead of 6. Since I usually struggle with the height of my plants, I am hoping that the new light schedule will help.

I run 24/7. I occasionally have to turn my vegging lights off for 4-6 hours during the hottest part of the summer. When I do, I always notice that the girls stretch more and have less budding sites when not run 24/7. My girls thrive under 24/7 light, giving me nice bushy plants with close internodal spacing. I do not have light leaks and I do not accidentally open the door during dark, so cannot comment on that....however, I cannot see how running veg lights less than 24/7 would negate the negative effects of interruption of the dark period when flowering...

Nice looking plants Skag!

I have read that 24/7 plants take longer to show preflowers than 18/6 plants but I have never read anything about them being more light sensitive during flower.

I am a 24/7 grower and like THG said I get better internode spacing(short). Don't know about light leaks or door opening as I do not have either.

I've made the switch to 24/7 per The Hemp Goddess's suggestion and I've def noticed better (tighter) internodal spacing. :cool2: by the by, ty THG :), that and feeding up till harvest with organics :hubba:

I need to post my last harvest pics...just beautiful.

I used to run 18/6 but when I first came here to the passion I saw where peeps were saying better with 24hrs of light so I started doing it and found better results as well. :)

It could be that the temps of having constant light are causing an issue and that is eliminated when they are allowed to cool a bit during the short lights out time.

I can only say 24/7 for veg rocks...however for flower I have found that sativa's and indica's have different requirements in flower. I like 14/10 for indica's and 11/13 for sativa's.

umbra said:
I can only say 24/7 for veg rocks...however for flower I have found that sativa's and indica's have different requirements in flower. I like 14/10 for indica's and 11/13 for sativa's.

Interesting post. Is that light/dark or dark/light?

@ umbra - Do you mind to further explain your experience ?

I use 24/7 in the CloneBox ( for seedlings, early veg ), then i change them to 18/6 when vegging below the HPS for one week and then 12/12.

kiksroks said:
Interesting post. Is that light/dark or dark/light?

Im sure Umbra will chime in...Im also sure its On/off...

bho...IME..as learned from TheHempGodess..I run My cclone area and Veg area 24/0..The plant continues to grow and Makes for a better and tighter flower...just my thaughts

take care and be safe everyone:bolt::bong

pcduck said:
I am a 24/7 grower and like THG said I get better internode spacing(short). Don't know about light leaks or door opening as I do not have either.

I guess I just have bad luck, this grow befor last a bearing started screaming in a fan so loud I'd thought something was dyeing in there, ya I opened the door, another time it was a smoke detector low battery alarm, I'm man,,, I don't know the word, clinicly, certifiable, almost deaf, if it's not closed captioned I'm screwed, anyway both times i was told something was happening behind the door, anyway my bottom line is I haven't seen a real difference in the final tally, the wieghed yield, going 24/7, if I had more rooms it would make cents to me, but my veg room is small and i take clones and grow perpetual, I do have a harvest every couple three weeks sometimes closer, the vegein plants grow way to fast as it is, I'm always out growing the closet, on 24/7 its just crazy, also because in the summer months my lights burn at night, and burn during the day during the winter months, a couple times I've opened the door a day or two after the change, just out of habit!! I forgot!!! I also have actually left the slideing doors open and the curtain down on the veg room. it's attached to the dang flower room, Been forgetting alot, lol, I even went to my docs. and she ran some demetia, alzhiemers tests, I scored 100%,

just got back, went and took my blood pressure meds. lol, forgot them this morn. anyway, most of my problems are of my own makeing, but I've discovered my plants don't get what the Mrs. calls "the whirling Dervish" (reveg), nearly as bad if they were grown on 18/6 rather than 24/7, I just wish the mrs. would give me another bedroom, even though, now, I grow way more than we need,I love my hobby. time to get out the MITEr box, and finish the kitchen, need everything trimmed,new thresholds the works. I need to be real careful, the transition board that goes from floor to carpet was 30 bucks for a 48inch stick, stickin it to me, oh ya my clones fell from lack of attention!! this remodels takeing a toll.

P1130053.JPG

P1130054.JPG

P1130055.JPG

P1130058.JPG

Oh man.. Its a shame I don't live close to ya, I'd be happy to come by and help ya finish up the floor and rig up some electronics to alert yu to problems and such. In the gro-lab, my partner was bad about forgetting what was on/off so I rigged up some small lights that connected to the main lights and these would stay lit whenever the interior lights were on so that we would know for sure that we weren't going to open up on dark time. :)

Hushpuppy said:
Oh man.. Its a shame I don't live close to ya, I'd be happy to come by and help ya finish up the floor and rig up some electronics to alert yu to problems and such. In the gro-lab, my partner was bad about forgetting what was on/off so I rigged up some small lights that connected to the main lights and these would stay lit whenever the interior lights were on so that we would know for sure that we weren't going to open up on dark time. :)

????????? Isn't everything on timers?

Yeah the timers are there but the brain sometimes is on pause, so the lights over the door worked to alert us to exactly when a room was lit or not. If I understood Skagit correctly he has spearate time schedules for different times of the year, and while it is easy enough to change the timers, changing the brain(of a man) is a little more difficult. :) We tend to need reminders :)

Sorry I missed responding to this thread. Yes 4U is correct it is on/off. Doing different flowering times for sativas and indicas came from a conversation with DJ Short. Its in his book about breeding exceptional cannabis.

Latest posts

Back