5 gallon containers...please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
when its time to water your plants, how do you know how much is sufficient? for example, how do you calculate how much water is needed to water plants in a 5 gallon container?

----also, how much to water if you want to flush the soil??

I use five gallon buckets and I just water until I see some drainage out of the bottom. I use a drill to put the holes in the bottom.

maineharvest said:
I use five gallon buckets and I just water until I see some drainage out of the bottom. I use a drill to put the holes in the bottom.

How often though? Veg vs. flowering? I am at a constant state of always doing to little or to much.

Then, STOP THAT !! Read about the "wet-Dry" cycle in a sticky.....

Oh I have.. My soil sucks and I swear she is root bound but everyone says she can't be. My soil always at least since flowering, has always been separated from the side of the bucket. I just wanted a comparison to gauge how far off I am, if any. She is getting more and more thirsty.

When you water a plant the leaves stand up in a Y shape.

When they are thirsty the leaves drop from being in a Y shape and droop downwards.

:peace:

41303east_coast_cropper.jpg

You need to invest in some better soil and then it will be a lot easier to judge when they need water. I usually judge when to water by the weight of the bucket and I just know from experience I guess. You want to let your medium dry out really good before watering again. Your plants will start to look a little droopy when they get thirsty.

Hello Red-Eye and ****-Dog-

I too use 5 gallon containers. I water a little differently when in veg vs. when in flower.

In veg, IMHO, the plants need more humidity, so I water more often. I'll usually stick my finger in the soil- if it feels dry about 1-2 inches down, I give them water. They usually take about a half gallon and get watered every 3 - 4 days. I try to maintain rh above 50%.

When in flower- I let them dry out more. I actually wait until they start to lose some of their turgidity- as HippyinEngland and Maineharvest mentioned (turgor pressure is one of the effects of transpiration- basically makes the leaves stand erect). So I wait until they start to droop or even wilt- but I don't let the stems droop. I usually give them about 3/4 to a gallon of water and they usually go about 7 - 8 days between watering. I try to keep the rh below 40%.

One of the things I think is important, as aplasia said, is to water slowly. If you pour it all in at one shot, it'll just run right through your container and out the bottom. If you water slowly, you'll start to see run-off at the bottom of your container. They should be well watered at that point.

As Maineharvest said, you'll get used to it and it'll get much easier.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep growing!

Thanks dudes, some rep your way.

I try and water very slowly as the soil is compact so I try and let a little water in the middle soak in first before I really water.

I only water roughly 24 ounces, or two beers (worth of water mind you), every 2 to 3 days. Depends on how dry the soil is. It is normally pretty dry 2 inches down every other day.

****-dog said:
Thanks dudes, some rep your way.

I try and water very slowly as the soil is compact so I try and let a little water in the middle soak in first before I really water.

I only water roughly 24 ounces, or two beers (worth of water mind you), every 2 to 3 days. Depends on how dry the soil is. It is normally pretty dry 2 inches down every other day.

Hi ****-Dog-

Everything I have read and experienced says that flowering mj prefers a more arid climate, so watering more frequently will raise your rh. If you're in 5 gallon soil buckets, they'll hold water for several days.

I hope it works out for you. Happy growing- it's better than the alternative.

Alright I have no luck... Last water Monday evening. It is now Thursday morning in theory, that is when I first saw her like this anyway. To me she looks like she is begging for a drink. Everything I have read and been told she should still be good. To me, she looks terrible.. I am about to give her a drink.

1 pic is from 24 hours ago. The other was just taken. She looked the same 18 hours ago when I first noticed.

So my main question is, watering every other to 2 days is appropriate right? Do I want to not let her get this dry? Or, is this the point I should be watering? Or, should I wait longer?

thanks

hfh.png

qwqwqw.png

I would water her today at any time ! Now or in a few hours ! Take care ! I generally water at the same time every 3 days and my plants droop just like yours !

Cool cool. She looks really bad to me but this is my first grow. I have also killed every other plant I have ever had including ivy!

It wont hurt her to droop like this? If not, this is the sign I want so I know when to water.

I also try and water the same time everyday but today I had to work about a 16 hour day. Poor poor me I know lol!

thanks

****-dog said:
Cool cool. She looks really bad to me but this is my first grow. I have also killed every other plant I have ever had including ivy!

It wont hurt her to droop like this? If not, this is the sign I want so I know when to water.

I also try and water the same time everyday but today I had to work about a 16 hour day. Poor poor me I know lol!

thanks
Na it won't do any harm . In fact i believe that it allows the plants to toughen up a bit and i like to watch them grow in leaps and bounds after watering when they look like this ! they tend to do the :bolt:

Latest posts

Back