70 watt HPS..Turns off after a few mins. Means i need a ballast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris5

Reaction score
Have a few of these and everything is all set up and i have other lights plugged into the outletstrip but the HPS lights are the only ones that turn off. Does this mean i need to purchase a ballast? If so how would i go about setting that up?
Thanks guys

i run a 70W. put it in its own socket might not be getting enough current to fire. make sure the photosensor is at least taped over if its still hooked up. try getting a new bulb. none of the above just run over to lowes or home depot and pick one up. there's a how to on removing the photo sensor on here. I got plenty of links for other makes and models too. just hit me up with a PM ;)
last iseen 30 bucks for a 50W and 70 bucks for a 70W..bulbs are dirt cheap.

The Bulbs are brand new. Along with the fixture and is the photosensor the the item behind the unit that is in a shape of a circle and have to turn it clockwise in order for it to turn on? I will try plugging it into an outlet all by itself. Thanks

I let the lights stay plugged in for at least 30 mins and I found out that the HPS 70 watt lights stay on for about 4-5 mins and go off for approx 30 secs then come right back on for the 4-5 mins. Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks

You have more than one light fixture going on and off?

I just plugged the one 70 watt HPS light fixture in to see how it would work. I did plug it in with a few other things if they would turn off also ,but the only light was the HPS fixture. In my previous reply i said it would turn off and on repetively.

I know you said bulb was new but try another , hps bulbs do cycle when they are bad.

The Hemp Goddess said:
It still sounds like a photosensor to me.
That is wha ta few people have told me. It does have a light sensor on the back that i had to plug in and turn clockwise to activate the light. Im told i have to mess around with the wires to make it run constantly. The directions do not have the wiring diagram. Anyone know how i can go about this ASAP since my seeds are about to germinate. Appreciate it

chris5 said:
That is wha ta few people have told me. It does have a light sensor on the back that i had to plug in and turn clockwise to activate the light. Im told i have to mess around with the wires to make it run constantly. The directions do not have the wiring diagram. Anyone know how i can go about this ASAP since my seeds are about to germinate. Appreciate it

Does the sensor have 2 or 3 wires?
Have you tried covering the sensor up as well as turning it on?
Did you try a new bulb?

Growdude said:
Does the sensor have 2 or 3 wires?
Have you tried covering the sensor up as well as turning it on?
Did you try a new bulb?

I have not cover up the "photocontroller". I will try that out in a few
It has 3 wires. White,Orange,Black

tom thumb said:
if you only plug the hps in and nothing else (no lights in a dark room) does it stay on?

Wouldnt that light up the room?
just put some black tape over it.

Connect orange and black to bypass the sensor.

Growdude said:
Wouldnt that light up the room?
just put some black tape over it.

Connect orange and black to bypass the sensor.

When I plugged it in all by itself. It stayed on for 4-5 mins then shut off for 30 seconds and then just kept doing that in a cycle.it does light up majority of my space. I am going to try and tape up the sensor. If that does not work should I take the orange and black wires and connect them? Thanks

Latest posts

Back