A 'feel' for it......PLUS: Hot tips!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadoed

peeking out
Reaction score
Looking over the threads in here I've noticed a lot of discussion and questions regarding 'the right way to grow' or 'the best way to grow' etc., as well as requests for tips for new growers. So naturally I thought I'd throw my two cents into the well and make a wish. And here goes heh.:rolleyes:

When I first started growing I (like many others) didn't know a damn thing about it, except that I liked smoking the final product. I read as much as I could find before I started my first attempt and was rather overwhelmed with the huge body of knowledge available. I noticed pretty fast that there was a LOT of contradictory information.

"Do THIS!"........"No, do THAT!"

"This ALWAYS works for me!" ......"No, that NEVER works for me!"

etc etc.....lots of conflicting opinions and instructions. And finally I realized that it was actually possible for everyone to be right.....because people do what works for them. I am currently on my 6th grow and can say with some confidence that I have a pretty good 'feel' for what works and what doesn't (for me anyway).

The first time I grew, however, it was a comedy of errors. I used crappy-quality WalMart potting soil (I did find a cool golf tee and an innertube valve cap in the soil though, so that was a bonus). I never checked the pH of my water--straight from the tap that I now know is about 10 on the pH scale (extremely hard water...way too much calcium). Ditto for the soil pH...never checked it. Wrong lights and wrong nutes....you name it and I did it wrong. No fan breeze to help build strong stems. No flush to remove nutrient salts build-up. I am almost embarassed to admit to such a travesty until I remember that we were all there at one time.

At the time I told my wife that if I managed to get anything that was smokeable I would count the experiment a success. Heh. Whoever said 'Ignorance Is Bliss' hit the nail on the head. She just smiled and indulged me in my little fantasy of becoming a 'grower'. Looking back it seems I was quite lucky to get anything at all and the first 2 pix are what I harvested. Three females matured into just under 2oz of dried bud. I didnt know you could also smoke the leaves so I threw them out. Ah well, live and learn.

For comparison purposes the 3rd pic is a repost of my last harvest....a single plant that produced over 6oz of dry bud. You've come a long way, baby. I've gotten a good feel for what the plants want, what they need, what they don't want, and what'll kill them. But the most important thing I've learned is that each plant is an individual. Two plants of the same strain will each show different characteristics from the other.....kinda like the way that we're all humans but what a wide variety you see. Even between family members. Each of us have wildly differing wants and needs, and hopes and dreams. Kinda like the plants we all love. Treat them with respect and keep a close eye on each individual's needs and you'll do well. Or maybe not. But keep growing and eventually you'll realize that you too have a 'feel' for what works. The last thing to do is find a way to pass your knowledge on to other folks who might need some starting-out help. Don't diss them....we were all dumbasses once.

For any new growers who might still be reading this - - - the paragraphs above have many 'tips' that can be incorporated into your grows. Read everything you can find and learn as much as you can and stick with what works for you. Thanks for taking the time to read this and don't forget....reading is what a forum is all about, yes? <Laughs up sleeve>

Have a nice day y'all! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

DSC01972.jpg

Latest posts

Back