A heads up about posting pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight_toker

Reaction score
I don't want to be chicken little. I don't want everyone running to all their posts and deleting pics. I highly doubt it is necessary, but I just wanted to give people a heads up that when you post pics from a digital camera, they have what is called "meta data" attached to them. This "meta data" includes information about the image. For example, and what setting you used...and also the camera's serial number. That is something that can be used to link the image to you. I'm trying to look into programs that will strip off this metadata. When I find it, I'll post info.

This is something that might help pc users. looking for a mac program.

hxxp://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-stripremove-metadata-from-jpeg-and-png-images/

If you do a search for "exiftool 7.93", download it, and drop one of your pics into the program, you'll see what megadata is stored by your camera.

Or, you can download it from here: "www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/"

Here's a pic from one of the users on the site:

(You'll see there is no personal data stored by his camera. You'll have to check your own to see what your camera stores)

MegadataOfPic.jpg

*Some* digital cameras store the serial number of the camera. *IF* you have had your camera serviced at any place, *YOU* have to make sure the repairman of your camera didn't set the megadata on your camera.

Many repair shops do, and ALL manufacturers set this information on the camera when repairing it. They use the megadata to store the camera AND the owner data for warranty purposes.

This is only done AFTER you've had it repaired.

On many of the recent cameras you can set the megadate yourself. Look in the manual that came with your camera to see if that is a feature of your unit.

Some cameras allow for the megadata to be embedded within photos. Some don't. Some megadata is only available from the camera itself. Some allow only selected data to be embedded on photos. There are many variations to how megadata is stored and what it's stored on or in.

The program I referred to in my last post will show you what your camera stores currently.

just right clik the image then properties. then details tab, then way at the bottom of the dialog box you see in blue text and is a hyperlink to another option it says " remove properties and personal information" click that ten a new box pops up
select option : Remove the following properties from this file.
should be second option make sure circle tab is selected.
- then hit the "select all" button below right corner then clik OK
viola all personal info deleted.

maybe someone out there who has a screen image capture can take some snap shots of a step by step.
i inquired of this in past but kept it quiet so now those who didnt know this wouldnt utilize it in a maliscious or mischevious manner.
honestly i think thsi thread should be deleted or edited or somethin before it turns into a wide spread panic liek if we was told taht aliens were coming to erth LOL. or that someone uses the informatoon to do harm etc..
jmo.

This is not 100% correct.

Find a picture on your comp that is YOURS.

Right click on the image file and click properties.

From the properties dialog click the Summary tab and then the Advanced button.

You will find all the info from your camera and its settings.

Now post that picture on this forum and do the exact preceedure.

Your camera settings and details are not shown.

If you then copy your picture back from this forum and re follow the same proceedure the details are still missing.

You are correct to a degree, but putting the fear of god into people with only half the info is wrong.

:peace:

hold on once HIE . post up a pic right now once and i'll try it on yours an see. dont do the whole deletin info thing. just do as ya normally do i guess an i'll let ya know in PM wta it says if its personal K.
i tried this in past on diff peopel pix and i got a bunch wit info on em too.

im not tryin to spook anyone LOL.. i mean the cats out the bag now wat i an another concluded to keep hush on it back when..

well HIE do you really want me to post all ya cameras details such as model number etc all the data on it . cuz i knwo wat camera ya got . :hubba:

:eek: :eek: Calm down Rotten, you've never posted a pic on here:hubba: I would if i saw a "reason" to. But ty to all that do as it answers any "sick" questions i may have. Any other reasons than "sick" plants pictures don't interest me at all. Yes, all u pretty plant posters, they look nice-congrats-:)

Does it really matter, i thought the server was in europe???
no one can get info off the server without a search warrant here at your local pd, and then another at the server site in europe.

and know one is going to do that,

if i dont register my cam when i purchased it, will it still show this data?

buncha stoners. lol...

gee i sure am glad i dont have a kodak...

clearly they are gonna come looking for all you kodak users.

oh wait i do have a kodak.
i gtg tear down my rooms and dispose of all evidence.

be back later.

Mine lists my serial number. Every camera body I have creates images that list the serial number, so it got me to thinking. I am not trying to panic anyone. It is best to KNOW about something so you can DO something about it before it is an issue, right?

So, yes, somehow someone could be checking out this board, download a pic, read the exif data, contact the manufacturer of the camera and see who bought it. Would that mean the same person took it? Probably a very remote chance they'd even consider doing that, but if they were specifically trying to build a case against someone, perhaps. I'm not deleting my pics, but I'm going to make sure to strip any in the future.

TY 'toker. It never hurts to be 'informed'...;)
I wonder if the data from a cell phone is any more/less revealing..:confused:

Latest posts

Back