Accidental Elongated Light Schedule some days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnigr33n

I'm a damn monkey.
Reaction score
For the last two weeks, one day each week, I forgot to turn off the incandescent bulb in my grow area when I left so for each of those days the plants got like 3-4 hours of light cutting into their dark time. I took the bulb out completely so that this doesn't happen again. My plants are in their 4th week of flower exactly and seem to be coming along pretty ok.

I am a little bit obsessive about them and I am worried. I know they are a weed and can adapt pretty quickly back to normalcy if back on the 12/12 cycle (which they most definitely are), but would any of you guys think there would be any harmful affects because of that? I know not to make a habit of it because constant interruptions and irregularity may cause them to hermie for sure, but will it make a difference in any aspect of development if everything is back on 12/12? Thanks guys in advance.

wow....ok man. i can't ive ya much comfort.
on the plus side incadescent give off mainly a green spectrum. which is good plant don't recognize it that much
downside. it does recognize it as light, but not the light it likes. but it does give off some other parts of the spectrum tho as well. :(
couple factors will determine if damage was done.
1. distance from the bulb
2. the wattage of the bulb
3. was it dark before than turned on.

You might not have any probs depending on the sensitivity of it. but keep a close eye out

just get the schedule on track and make sure there are no leaks.

at this point theres really nothing you can do.

goodluck!

Yep, just wait and see. There's no use in crying over spilled milk. I hope it works out for you. I imagine within a week or two you should know if everything is alright or not.

There won't be any problem. And BTW incadescent light is mainly yellow to red spectrum.

im sure they will be fine. my flowering room def has more light coming in than a pale moon and my plants are budding up nicely, in fact, im a little skeptical on the advice that plants HAVE to be in pitch black darkness in order to flower, its just not true, go outside during a full moon, full luminosity and see how bright it is, i wouldnt worry about it.

Ok well..the bulb itself is like 10 feet away from the plants and inside a groove in the ceiling so there isn't direct light right on the plants other than from what is exposed. It is a 100 watt bulb I believe. Also, my plants weren't in the dark cycle when it was on. My HPS was on a timer and it turned off while the light bulb stayed on for an extra couple of hours. Fudge man, fudge...

Hick said:
While there may very well "not" be any problems, it is a very well known "fact" that erratic or inconsistant light cycles induce hermies. In fact, it is probably THE most common cause behind hermies.

But would u consider my lighting situation that erratic? My dark cycle wasn't interrupted, just shortened somewhat on certain days over a couple of weeks.

JBonez said:
im sure they will be fine. my flowering room def has more light coming in than a pale moon and my plants are budding up nicely, in fact, im a little skeptical on the advice that plants HAVE to be in pitch black darkness in order to flower, its just not true, go outside during a full moon, full luminosity and see how bright it is, i wouldnt worry about it.

at full moon the intensity of reflected light is still low, some light leaks will be more intense and could cause a hinderance on flowering. the problem lies in the dark/light cycles inconcistancies, thats when the hermis start showing. it doesnt have to be totally dark, but past a certian point the plant still thinks the sun is out and it can become confused.

trillions of atoms said:
at full moon the intensity of reflected light is still low, some light leaks will be more intense and could cause a hinderance on flowering. the problem lies in the dark/light cycles inconcistancies, thats when the hermis start showing. it doesnt have to be totally dark, but past a certian point the plant still thinks the sun is out and it can become confused.

i understand and agree with every you stated, im just saying that ive been in my flowering chamber and there is little leaks here and there, enough to see my hand at my side, but i figured in my head, that it was no way brighter than a full moon, but honestly, there are plants that actually flower on one side, while the other side remains in veg, would that be an interesting topic or what!

that probibly because the light recieved by the one side is enough to hinder flowering, the other side its dark enough to do its thing.

i would fix the light leaks no matter what. jmo.

trillions of atoms said:
that probibly because the light recieved by the one side is enough to hinder flowering, the other side its dark enough to do its thing.

i would fix the light leaks no matter what. jmo.

its all good, if you were to go into my flower chamber you would say, "Oh, is that how much light you were complaining about?" Pfftt....

but yeah, wouldnt enough light to affect one side, almost certainly be enough light to affect the other? or are colas that different and independent of each other?

well you have to imagine every plant is different in its own way, and on top of that...youve got some plants near the leak that will shade that light comming in. and if its comming in say ....along the entrance to the grow from up high - the light traveling down twards the back of the chamber might be strong enough to hit the close plants and effect them but then the lumens might dwindle just enough not to mess with the ones in the back. its hard to say with out looking at it but im sure there is a reasonable explaination out there, i just cant give it exactly because i am not there. :p

trillions of atoms said:
well you have to imagine every plant is different in its own way, and on top of that...youve got some plants near the leak that will shade that light comming in. and if its comming in say ....along the entrance to the grow from up high - the light traveling down twards the back of the chamber might be strong enough to hit the close plants and effect them but then the lumens might dwindle just enough not to mess with the ones in the back. its hard to say with out looking at it but im sure there is a reasonable explaination out there, i just cant give it exactly because i am not there. :p

gotcha, i can assure, there are no direct little beams of light coming in, thats for sure, and i do believe you helped me learn something kind sir, for that i thank you!

ps, that half veg half flower plant was something i read about, my budz are looking topnotch, i think, but check my sig after tonight sometime, im gonna post pics. cya

JBonez said:

There is never a full moon for 2 weeks.

yes, just continue your skeptisism. It is solid factual advice, given by just about "every" experienced grower. You geta hermie or two, under your belt, and you'll understand why. ;)

Hick said:
yes, just continue your skeptisism. It is solid factual advice, given by just about "every" experienced grower. You geta hermie or two, under your belt, and you'll understand why. ;)

Well, i have already trashed a hermie so far! but it wasnt due to light, it as just that one side of the plant never really had female preflowers and i never noticed until about a week into flowering then bam! hermie! but for the record, im just weary of the fact that absolute perfect darkness is required, sure its optimal but absolutely needed? i say no. Just as you "the pros in my book" stated, as long as the light coming in is not brighter than a moon, which is where im at and so far so good, ha ha Hick, im sure ill be eating my words:D

Growdude said:
There is never a full moon for 2 weeks.

Even if there was a full moon for two weeks, in your opinion, do you think that would affect flowering?? just curious.

Latest posts

Back