Advice and Knowledge needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azrepoman68

Reaction score
I guess technically this would be my second grow. Not very good results on my first attempt. Tasted like crap but it worked. Anyway I now have the green thumb bug. I have bought a few books and have read a lot. And have read a bunch of threads of this site and a few others, and it seems I know far less than I thought. I ordered some seeds from Nirvana. I have had them for awhile. I have Durban Poison and Pure Power Plant. The Durban was originally slated to have a home outdoors but dont have a secluded enough place and dont want to leave them on their own. Has anyone tried these indoors? I am building a box its 6 ft 5 in tall and 46 in square. I actually have the frame welded up and now am trying to figure the rest out. I am hoping its size will allow a flower chamber in top with veg in the bottom. as far as lights will one 1 400 w mh be enough for the flower chamber? And how big (tall) should the flower chamber be? It seems flors will ok for veg? Yes No? I am hoping not to offend by stating I have decided on just using soil this time. I am not big on trial and error due to money being tight a hydro sys just seems way out of my league. I also would like to know if PPP is ok for a novice like me and if not which should I go with? I hope nobody gets sick of me asking, what may seem like dumb questions but if I dont ask I will never know... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

46 in wide???? i would do 4.5ft on top and 2ft on bottom for veg with floros with yo yos so u can move your light with ease when ur plants go from clone or seed to 2 ft vegged max plants! i would go with a 600 HPS instead of a 400 mh! if that framing is metal make sure u spray spaint it or something cuz of humidy it will rust eventualy

400 will probably work for that, the area is a little big for that light, ideally you would want a 600w light for your space, but if 400 is what you've got you'll have to make it work. I have never grown either of those strains so sorry i can't be any help to you there, but I'm sure someone who has will chime in. Some are going to tell you your light is too small, but I could make it work if I had to. Don't try to crowd 10 plants in it or anything. Generaly you wouldn't want to go bigger than a 4' x 4' area, but your not that far off of that. Make sure youv'e got good ventilation. Good LUCK!

I grew a Durban Poison x Skunk#1 that turned out to be a willowy sativa monster. She was probably 3' sq and 5' tall. I don't know if the Durban Poison will grow like that, but it could. The smoke was excellent!

Thanks for the input...I just got back from my local lowes checking on a few things of which one was lighting..It seems I will be changing my lights...How many plants would you think would be do-able for me the green-greenthumb...

I really like the cool tube...I am currently looking at making one... with your supreme guidence ofcourse...THANKS

Yo Ho azrepoman68,

Hey that grow area sounds just fine. For indoor growing you might want to stick with the Indica strains, or even a bit of the Sativa will be ok, as long as you watch out for what the stated height will be, I would recommend the 400 Watt Mh in there as well as the CFL's for vegging. Switch over to a 400Watt HPS when you are ready to flip your babies over to 12/12.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

LOL--thanks, but you are going to need more light than that for a space that is 46" sq. You should probably be looking at a 600W light. I am using that dual 150W in a space that is 22" x 46" and that is pushing the lumens.

Goddess...........How big of a light can I put in the cool tube? Would a dual lights of a larger watt equal up to the desired number of 600?

I was at my local Lowes this morning and could not find the side mount socket. I will check at home depot. And another question, I am going to build a cool tube but can i use say a dayton fan be used to cool the lights as well as vent the box? If i were to come out of one side of the tube then exit the top of my growbox then reenter it with a filter that way the smell gets pulled out of the box along with heat from the box as it then travels thru the cool tube then to exit as my exhaust?

I just saw your DIY SCROG ....very very interesting.. Would I get more yield using this method in my Gbox? How many plants were in the Scrog? Like I stated before Im new to this so hope Im not buggin ya with all the ?s

You are going to want to flower with a HPS rather than a MH.

Rather than split your box horizontally (you want as much height as you can get), why not split it vertically and have a space maybe 30 x 46 for flowering. This could be lit with a 400W HPS. Then you could have a space space 16 x 46 for vegging, mothers, and clones. This could be lit with a couple of those 2' 2 tube T5 HO fluoro fixtures that HTG sells--they put out 5000 lumens.

I don't quite get what you are talking about with the ventilation. Ventilation is really individualized depending a lot on your local climate. You could probably have ducting near the floor that runs to the cooltube, then out of the cooltube into a filter, and then to your fan. The filter and fan can be in the box or outside of it. There is no reason to exit and reenter the box.

The scrog had 2 plants in it that shared a 10 gal DWC res. Yes, I believe that you could yield more by scrogging or doing some LST.

I ordered the side mount sockets off the internet somewhere for another project entirely so had them on hand and they seemed to be the ticket. However, when you get into larger HID lights, they require a larger socket called a mogul socket. I think that 150W is the largest HID that fits into a regular socket.

THG..... After that post I thought why exit...duh What I meant is the filter is inside the top of the box where it is connected to the cool tube. So air comes in the bottom of the box and the heat and smell goes out the top? FILTER-DUCT-COOL TUBE-DUCT EXITS THRU DAYTON FAN? Bad or good?

Latest posts

Back