Any advice for germinating in rockwool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwind

Reaction score
I've decided to give up on the peat pellets. I've wasted about 20 of my beans and still have nothing to show for it. I think my main problems are temperature and getting them too wet. Anyway I've decided to try my last 5 beans in rockwool. I've flushed it out really well with ph adjusted distilled water and stuck the seeds about 1/4" deep and made sure they're covered. I'm not going to try pre-germinating them since all of the rest of them cracked successfully and I think I'm better off handling them as little as possible.

I've got them in a small tupperware type container that's got it's lid sealed.

It's about 70 - 80 in my growbox and they'll probably be a little warmer than that up next to the cfls I've got in there.

I'm getting pretty frustrated and any advice would be appreciated.

First of all I have a had success with the pre method and then placing in rockwool with twizzers gently. You will have to practice patience because I have one sprouting now out of three that have been going for two weeks (tap root visible). If there is nothing new by end of week I am throwing out. The method sounds fine if all works well. Try and find a germination (small) try with plastic lid and keep in a warm dark place until sprouts appear then remove lids and go from there...hope that helps.

My aero garden seeds did not sprout as I had hoped. HOWEVER, I placed six seeds in rockwool Sunday and as of this morning I have 5 sprouted. All I used was water (did not soak) just enough to make it moist but not soaked. Placed in containers with plastic lids on top shelf for two days in grow room (warm dark) and today I have seedlings. Let me know ho yours turns out.

EasyLiving29 said:
My aero garden seeds did not sprout as I had hoped. HOWEVER, I placed six seeds in rockwool Sunday and as of this morning I have 5 sprouted. All I used was water (did not soak) just enough to make it moist but not soaked. Placed in containers with plastic lids on top shelf for two days in grow room (warm dark) and today I have seedlings. Let me know ho yours turns out.
I am getting ready to germ some seeds for my first grow and was planning on using the technique easyliving mentioned. I have heard that germing straight in rockwool can cause the seed to "push out" once it starts growing. I bought a tray and lid from my hydro store and am hoping for the best. Good luck to you whichever route you take my friend.

blackwind said:
I've decided to give up on the peat pellets. I've wasted about 20 of my beans and still have nothing to show for it. I think my main problems are temperature and getting them too wet. Anyway I've decided to try my last 5 beans in rockwool. I've flushed it out really well with ph adjusted distilled water and stuck the seeds about 1/4" deep and made sure they're covered. I'm not going to try pre-germinating them since all of the rest of them cracked successfully and I think I'm better off handling them as little as possible.

I've got them in a small tupperware type container that's got it's lid sealed.

It's about 70 - 80 in my growbox and they'll probably be a little warmer than that up next to the cfls I've got in there.

I'm getting pretty frustrated and any advice would be appreciated.

When I start mine in rock wool I just get the rock wool wet drop the beans in, put the cubes in a 1gallon freezer bag, blow it up with air, and set it on top of my refrigerator.
Check them every morning and night.When I see them break the surface of the cube I put them in my grow closet.

cubby said:
When I start mine in rock wool I just get the rock wool wet drop the beans in, put the cubes in a 1gallon freezer bag, blow it up with air, and set it on top of my refrigerator.
Check them every morning and night.When I see them break the surface of the cube I put them in my grow closet.
I ended up doing the same only using a tray and clear dome. Should i wait til they all break the surface then remove the dome ans add a light source?

Latest posts

Back