any thoughts for low-maintanance grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Quick question. I own a house, but am living about 1.5 hours away all week for work and only return on the weekends. I got the ok from my girl to re-setup my grow room (as we are running out of last year's crop).

The deal is this--she told me that she'd look after them, but didn't want anything to do with it more than the occasional watering... (she has what we call a "black thumb").

I have a 400HPS, timer, fans. I have a whole back room with 8' ceilings, and can frame out whatever space I need.

I'm thinking in this case to go low-tech. Grow in soil, maybe in some of those 3gal cat-litter pails.

Any thoughts on how to go about it? What would be a good strain that you don't need to fuss too much with?

Also, can anyone recomend a BC seed bank that sells very-high quality genetics?

I would say definitly grow organic in soil. Watering is about all you need mostly then.

Yea man keep this one organic. Get yourself a good rich soil like FFOF so you don't even have to add nutes for the first 3-4 weeks of veg and after that just keep a pre-mix of solution so your girl can use that to water.

On the weekends when you come home remember at what stage of growth your plants are in and check them accordingly, like check for it's sex and look for naners.

Strain wise I heard AK-47 is not too bad to maintain and it's a pretty high yield plant.

Happy grow bro :)

Hemp Depot. They are Canadian...can't remember which province, and I have had great service from them.

If you do soil and are home once a week...she shouldn't have to do anything but make sure lights came on, bug watch etc. Oh yeah and be able to follow instructions over the phone (in case of emergency)

Lots of people grow remote. I really only "need" to visit mine every few days...but I enjoy myself there...so I hang out there quite a bit.

I'd go with a 3'x3' with that light with 2-4 plants...unless you have access to clones.

I haven't seen you around ...but you've been a member longer than me...glad to hear your working, and getting the grow going...life is good!

lazy people, like me, go with soil grows.....with moderate to high success.

the ultimate "hands free" system is to go hydroponic. Create a flood and drain table in your room; essentially it's an elevated flower box. You have have it at a 15 degree angle if you want water flowing to one end.

have your girl help you!!!! she'll love it, she jsut can't love the plants too much, they'll hurt XD

have her water them every few days, (a set amount each time, like 3 seconds worth, etc)

or setup some auto-feeding system with a pump ;)

good luck! keep in touch
destroyer

Organic soil IMO. The right soil mix needs only water as kal el said. I'm currently growing some organic soil batches and they are a breeze in comparison to organic solubles.

As far as a good strain - mold resistant is important and obviously low maintainence........Durban Poison is probably a solid choice or similar lineage.

I do all my grow low cost/ maintenance. Start out in cups, switch to 3 to 5 gall buckets, soll, 400w hps light, timer, small fan. Water when needed. I'm sure it can be tweaked to get bigger and better buds but for now it works for me!!

a good setup for a dwc is very low maintenance, all you would need to add to a normal dwc is a control res and timer, it will top you res with ph'd nutes and no need for anyone to water or anything :) you would only need to move your light up as they growand change the res every couple weeks or more, just a thought

i have to vote for earth boxes for this application. your girl will have to visit about every other day, and watering is as easy as filling the tube up. piece of cake really...big fat moist triple chocolate hemp suprise cake.

and I agree with the FFOF and premixed nutes. little calander in there and your girl will soon be telling you about HER crop ;) least that was my last remote experience...

forgot to add:

DR greenthumb has some really tasty looking genetics. hearty too.

GO PACKERS!!

Look up "undercurrent". Expensive, but all she needs to do is top off rez to desired ppm. Runs 24/7. Stick some AK47 clones in there and watchout in 11 weeks.

I use FFOF and have no complaints. Mine have gone up to 4 days without water.
They have been in veg for a month(reveged clones) and I just gave them some 1/2 strength the other day and now I'm backing off.
:)
Gb

FFOF is great to grow in, you really dont need to add any nutes for a while. maybe have a go atsome auto strains maybe? they grow quick and you wouldnt have to worry about switching light cycles, etc.

Latest posts

Back