anyone ever heard of this way to cure/dry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeUpJohnny

Reaction score
I emailed me friend in the Netherlands to ask his advice about how to cure/dry my first grow due to my situation (for those of you who don't know, I'll be done around the first week or two of February, but I also leave around that time for 3 weeks!)

here is what he said:

The buds are getting fatter at the moment ! Use PK 13/14 to increase this proces. ***(what does he mean by PK 13/14, sorry for the noob question)***

Last time water giving: 13 februari; on the 15th you'll put out the lights and leave the exhausting fan on half power (or 15 minutes per hour).
On the 7th you can harvest and smoke on the same day. This way the curing takes place on the plant wich gives a strong sweetened flavour. I find this the best way of curing. Unfortenately nobody's take
the time to do this and in the Netherlands most people are only in it for the money so it has to dry as quick as possible. So in fact, you are lucky with this situation.

so, anyone ever heard of drying/curing on the plant? seems to be natural...

tell me what ya think

thanks,

Johnny

so you mean keep in the dark for a week with a fan on for 15/60 minutes whilst still in soil ? when you gonna do the trimming ?

sounds like you wanna try it ,,,so why dont you and let us all know how good it is :peace:

I've heard of peoeple doing this too in mexico (mind you, it's mostly desert) and here's the deal that I heard - You still rip thep lant up by its roots... (keeping the roots on is a personal prefrence) Then hang the plant upside down without trimming, in a dark, well ventilated area. If you have a fan going, i'd say leave it on 30/60 and indirectly have the wind circulate the air in the drying space. Leave for 7-14 days in a colder climate, plant will dry out well (bone dry, again that's mexico and most plants dried in like what, 2 days maybe if they were huge). Once the plant was dry, then it was trimmed (dont know why it was done that way) but the end result was some buds that I ended up with, and the story goes....(probably the strain) i smoke alot.....so i figured I was ok. Took 2 hits, and 30 mins later swore i'd never smoke that much again :) food for thought

this is sounding sweet... it's like a big experiment!!!

should I worry about mold?

I will email him back and ask him about your mexican way...

I take it you mean harvest on the 17th and not the 7th? If thats correct no way will it be dry in that time.

Anyway,this has no benefits unless logistically it suits you to do this and certainly doesnt impart 'sweetness'.

Just cut them down,hang the whole plant up or if you hang branches it'll dry a bit quicker.You can have an oscillating fan in there playing on it gently which will speed things up a touch but you don't want to dry things out fast anyway as the slower it dries it helps to reduce the chlorophyll,the 'greenness',which affects the taste.

when its dry,its dry,not cured as that comes with time over a period of weeks.

Rockster is right, it's just traditionally how i've seen folks do it in mexico ;) however, i wonder if i had waited 3 weeks for the plants to cure after drying, i'm sure I would have died after smoking heh. Alot of the potency has to do with the strain.. it doesn't add sweetness to the plant by drying it on it.... It doesn't get added mojo from the stem and root structure. It just stays wet longer ;) I personally cut the branches and hang 'em in a ventilated area with airflow going thru it, and when dry i put 'em in shoeboxes to cure for 2 weeks atleast, then jar 'em up

erm the forementioned way with just branches, unless you're in a 100% humidity climate, no, i wouldn't worry about mold

he was referring to the 7th of march, that's when i arrive back in the states...

so they would be in the dark closet from feb 15-march 7

he owns a pretty sweet grow shop, so if he says it makes them sweeter/better I tend to believe him :)

we'll see how it goes!

Ive heard of folks pulling thier plants up with roots attached and then hanging them with hopes to get more THC by leaving the roots attached, IMO thats a big waste of time and it makes a HUGE mess AND its a lot of bull. Roots will not give you more THC! lol. :D

greenthumberish said:
I've heard of peoeple doing this too in mexico (mind you, it's mostly desert) and here's the deal that I heard - You still rip thep lant up by its roots... (keeping the roots on is a personal prefrence) Then hang the plant upside down without trimming, in a dark, well ventilated area. If you have a fan going, i'd say leave it on 30/60 and indirectly have the wind circulate the air in the drying space. Leave for 7-14 days in a colder climate, plant will dry out well (bone dry, again that's mexico and most plants dried in like what, 2 days maybe if they were huge). Once the plant was dry, then it was trimmed (dont know why it was done that way) but the end result was some buds that I ended up with, and the story goes....(probably the strain) i smoke alot.....so i figured I was ok. Took 2 hits, and 30 mins later swore i'd never smoke that much again :) food for thought
This is what I did with 1 plant, it was my friends idea, we kept the roots intact and just hang it, It does the job but the bud is alot better if you put it in jars for a couple weeks.

I'd love to put them into jars, I just think they'd mold, because no one could burp them! :-(

The only effect hanging a whole plant with roots intact or leaving in a pot to dry would be to slow down drying a touch which is no bad thing,quite the opposite but as megan has correctly said,its not improved due to gravity drawing down thc through the roots as thats plain daft!

Thanks for the heads up on the date confusion Johnny,that sounds like a sensible length of time morelike.

Because I entrusted someone once to dry out some bud for me,a friend of mine who got lazy and didnt inspect it periodically like I told him to and he had set heating on in this room oerr!:eek:And when I had told him not to.

Bone dry,trichs falling off to the touch,had to make hash with it.

When we sparked the hash it was easy to forgive him.:)

So yeah,may your friends smoke turn out nice and schweet!:guitar:

SmokeUpJohnny said:
so, anyone ever heard of drying/curing on the plant? seems to be natural...

tell me what ya think

thanks,

Johnny

If you reveg, you have to leave some bud on the plant. I did this last season. About 6 weeks or so after changing the light cycle, and with the plants about 2 weeks into reveg, I carefully trimmed the old bud off the plants.
I found the old bud perfectly dry and ready to smoke. Some people on the forum were advising me to throw it away!
That old bud was the best smoke I got from that grow. Two tokes and I was floating. Lovely smoke. Nice taste and all. So, yes, it sounds to me like your friend in NL is making sense. I am doing the same again right now; harvest half and leave the rest on the plant.

leafminer said:
If you reveg, you have to leave some bud on the plant. I did this last season. About 6 weeks or so after changing the light cycle, and with the plants about 2 weeks into reveg, I carefully trimmed the old bud off the plants.
I found the old bud perfectly dry and ready to smoke. Some people on the forum were advising me to throw it away!
That old bud was the best smoke I got from that grow. Two tokes and I was floating. Lovely smoke. Nice taste and all. So, yes, it sounds to me like your friend in NL is making sense. I am doing the same again right now; harvest half and leave the rest on the plant.
LM idont think hes talking bout reveg, but when YOU reveg you can take up to 2/3 of plant! just leave lower 1/3 bud. just a fyi so you can harvest more!

SUJ i dont know bout this method of which you speak, but if you can trim away as much "non bud" material when harvesting the faster the dry time... imo. oh yeah & yes have your filtration & fans running full time, just not directly blowing on buds. im 43rd parallel in a small room also

iClown said:
This is what I did with 1 plant, it was my friends idea, we kept the roots intact and just hang it, It does the job but the bud is alot better if you put it in jars for a couple weeks.

Just makes the water in the roots rush like blood to yer plants head ;) and stay there..until it dries ugh :holysheep: I prefer air dry, with curing, then storage

i love the dryer i made form the diy section.i used a bathroom exhaust fan on top.after 4-5 days its dry enough to jar.

leafminer said:

He's not just blowin smoke(lol)up our azzes,I've also been in the same situation,that dry old bud will have you walkin on air(didn't taste good,but man did it releive the pain(my brother hit a semi trailer @ aprox.65 mph on a street bike.The semi was stopped, he broke about everthing you could and then shattered the rest,hundreds of pieces of hardware).That "dry old" bud tasted like szit(no flush,just snip-n-toke),but it phukd u up.
As for "Mexican bud" and the potency that was stated earlier,contrary to popular belief,the stuff from Sinalo that I've seen(miles of bomb,particular ranch pulls males....bomb as phuk x supperbomb).
I guess every region has ideal conditions for particular strains,ideas,possibilities,situations,out comes ....so we should remain open minded for every mind is capable of independent thought/reasoning.Leaving not one but many ways to "skin-a-cat"

I've always been of the opinion that drying on the plant is, well, unnecessary. There is a window of time when the plant is at peak potency, so why wouldn't you want to grow it as much as possible, then chop it, stopping the growth and dissipation of potency? Why leave it in the dark the last two weeks. If it's unripe, then it could have grown bigger and increase potency in the remaining time, and if it is ready for harvest, leaving the plant to it's natural processes without supplying it with sweet, wonderful, sugar producing light seems like a great way to lose potency. I say chop the mawfawka and let it dry without any fluid exchange going on in the root system. Let the remaining moisture reach equilibrium in the plant and then evaporate, then manicure it and hang it back up for a couple of days. Then jar it, burping daily for a few weeks , and voila! the herb will be ready for consumption or further curing.
No need to innovate on a simple and effective process. The best herb you ever smoked was probably not dried with some obscure "secret" technique. Just disciplined procedure and good genetics.

Latest posts

Back