Anyone use Desiccare MoldAway?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyolsouth

Zen Trichome Labs
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone ever try any of the humidity abosorption packets to help control humidity in small spaces? I saw a product called Mold Away made by Desiccare... My closet is 64 sq feet and I wonder if this stuff works and for how long and maybe it wouldn't work well with ventilation going? Maybe it would work well in a bud drying box though... A 6 pack of the packets is around $13 + shipping. If they would last for even a few days a 6 pack could last long enough to dry a couple grows from my closet. Here's the info:

Rid Mold & Mildew in Kitchens & Baths

For sinks and small areas.

Specifically designed for use in confined areas where moisture may contribute to growth of household molds.
Most effective in areas of less than 40 cubic feet, such as are under kitchen or bathroom sink.
Starts picking up moisture at 5% R.H. and will keep humidity level to less than 30% R.H.
Product has moisture indicator card that reads amount of moisture collected inside Tyvek bag.
No guessing when Mold Away needs to be replaced.
Non-toxic. Safe to discard with normal household trash.
Contains 200 grams of clay and lime.

MoldAway.jpg

I don't think so brother, though never tried this item.

Local storage place had some chemical dehumidifiers in small pint sized cups. You exposed the crystals to the air & they suck up the water dripping into the bottom pan. They did remove water, just not enough to change my RH at all. It took time (almost 2 weeks to be used up) & had 4 of them going.

I have humidity issues anyway, so the dehumidifiers & air exchange was the only real option. They didn't impact the room at all. Think these packets work under the same principle & much smaller than what i had tried.

Peace.

Oregon Bob said:
I don't think so brother, though never tried this item.

Local storage place had some chemical dehumidifiers in small pint sized cups. You exposed the crystals to the air & they suck up the water dripping into the bottom pan. They did remove water, just not enough to change my RH at all. It took time (almost 2 weeks to be used up) & had 4 of them going.

I have humidity issues anyway, so the dehumidifiers & air exchange was the only real option. They didn't impact the room at all. Think these packets work under the same principle & much smaller than what i had tried.

Peace.
Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply...

The claim of maintaining humidity below 30% is a pretty bold statement. It does sound too good to be true. Thanks for mentioning the crystalz. MoldAway is in a 'sachet' bag and I'd think crystals in a pan would be more effective and if that didn't do much for you I doubt if these will do anything in my grow.

My humidity isn't that bad and stays around 50%. That's typical for around here and I haven't had bud rot more than a handful of times in 15 years of tinkering with indoor mj. I use A/C but the dew point is so high outside that I can't pull rh down any lower without adding a big Whirlpool dehum I have which that adds heat which is a challenge that I'm barely winning as it is... or I should say the power company is winning... lol... I have great ventilation, airflow, exhaust, and good temps along with 3 fans in a 2x4x8 closet and maybe I'll just have to be patient for another month when the gulf moisture starts to head south... The next round of girls are just getting started. My temps only go down about 6 degrees at night and I keep good air movement on the plants at night but maybe stronger fans at night are an option.

Unfortunately I just had to jump the gun on a harvest to save my remaining crop from bud rot and that was after I noticed two lil dreaded NANNERS on the biggest bud of the slowest girl. I then investigated the HUGE honkin bud and sure enuf... the cause of the stress I presume, Evil Mr. Botrytis. I already had harvest my fastest maturing girl, was within a day of chopping #2 but had planned on letting #3 go another few days to a week and #4 was only hinting at finishing so it might have had another 3 weeks left had the chain of events of the last couple days not occurred.

Since I had different phenos sharing pots for this test grow it limited my options. The first pheno is very Mazar and 6-8 weeks depending on your harvest pref. It pours on the trichs from late in week 3. If you like your indica trichs clear to cloudy with only a few ambers it's fine smoke at 6 weeks but will fill out slightly and steadily amber up over the next two weeks. The other three phenos look like whatever the male parent was with a good dose of Sativa in all three. Pheno #2 is another keeper. A bit later to start trich production but very decent yield and a bit larger than 12 oz can sized main colas. It responded very well to supercropping, lollipopping and fimming which made the 4 main colas spread out and get very dense but no bud rot on this pheno. Phenos 3 & 4 responded well to the same techniques and had the same look, only a bit slower. #3 was very similar to #2 and was very close at around 90% cloudy with a few amber trichs and I lost maybe a few grams from one rotten spot. I think if #4 hadn't got bud rot and then hermie'd that it would have been killer smoke as it was very sticky when I cut away and tossed about a half oz or so of tainted bud. It looks and smells like decent smoke despite having more time to complete. It had very fat old school large Fosters Lager can sized buds and I'm sure the density was the culprit. But NO fungus for our lungus among us, thank you.

So I said to myself: "Self, would you rather have many sacks of cloudy trich green buds or very few sacks of 40-60% amber trich buds?" Hmmmm... Where are my scissors? ;) The big honkin hermie had to go and with the bud rot I wanted to stop it from spreading and cut my losses right then and there. Nothing like a few hours of work when you least expect it but that's part of never knowing what you gotta do for your girls and of course your meds!

I got a yield on the low side of around 2.5 or slightly more oz from the very Mazar pheno (#1) that I harvested last week at 8 weeks. It didn't like fimming on the two colas I did it with but did like lollipopping and supercropping. And it's very potent and a great bed time buzz as it makes your eyelids feel like they have the weight of the world on them. You can barely keep them open long enough to have a snack but somehow I manage...:p I won't know the yield on these other 3 for another week or so but #2 and #3 looked like about 3-4 oz ea and #4 had 20% larger colas and looked closer to between 4-5 oz. I had split up all the large colas to air and inspect each and it should be dry enough for a good estimate within a week with all of the buds separated and in my well ventilated drying box. Whew! That was a very close one... Overall I'm pretty lucky the herm alerted me to the budrot although I can't say I'm happy to see a herm...:confused: I think I'll end up with around 12-14 oz or maybe close to a lb but we'll see. That's not great per watt but it's pretty decent for a test grow and I know I can get more out of each of these now that I know more about their growth characteristics.

AND I wasn't paranoid about the nanners from the standpoint of seeds on my current grow as I was so close on the other two but the :eek: Botrytis :eek: was more than enought to set the wheels whack! whack! whack! in motion... OUT with the bad... But I had one Avalanche strain girl already in week 3 also in the closet and it was just starting to flower hard so the he/she (#4) had to go. It's strange but I've been craving Thai food ever since...

SO! I don't think I'll have issues 8 months out of the year but I'd love to find something that doesn't add heat to just pull down the rh another 15% in the summer. Come what may I only have about 6 weeks left of the high heat and rh in the dirtyolsouth...

Peace!:cool:

Wow!

I ran into (still have) the exact same heat/humidity cycle you were talking about... humidity w so many babies wants to hit low-60's w/o any intervention on my part, and that's with air circ (i can do more, but trying for a semi-controlled air enviro).

Here came the rain... went 1 dehumid, went 2 dehumid, went 3 dehumid... running more than a 1k now... ****... still at mid 50's. Now my a/c is running 20 on, 10 off in the middle of the night... ****! lol... went through this & just about cried... had my head between my knees, hands on top, just shaking my head... didn't know what to do... LOL... ahhhh, the memories.

I've got the balance down now, but still rotate between 2 dehumid & a 12k btu portable &&& had to increase my air exchange a little &&&&& changed the set-up a little to allow more air-flow between the leaves.

It's been a little over a year since I had mold... and that last time was my fault... left the a/c on at night for 3 days... can you imagine the humidity spikes I must have had during the first 2 hours of dark?!? What a bummer... was at week 6 start too... ;-(( When I fist saw something on one of my larger nugs... P A N I C... i mean chicken w it's head cut off type of crazy.

GM is the one thing that makes me **** my pants. Can destroy your life in one simple swoop. Hate this stuff... go to outrageous efforts to prevent... almost went systemic fungicide of the commag business, but just couldn't bring myself to it... i can just imagine all the carcinogens that would be lacing the meds.

I now also blow wind on my plants to the point of VPD & necrosis on the fan leaves. Oh well, willing to take this compromise!

Peace brother!!!

BTW, I have some freebie Mazar... hadn't ever grown her before... do you like it? Hows the flavor, taste & effect? Overall impressions of growing the girl? Thank you!

Yo!

Yeah you have the added challenge of being in the moist NW... Here, at least it's dry rh wise from mid Sept til around the beginning of June. the Gulf moisture pushes up from June til Sept and it's sticky out there... not as bad as New Orleans or FL but too humid for this Yankee in Bubba's Arthur's court...

I was panicked til I thought through my options for 5 minutes and I was cool with it. It sucks but it's part of the game and I probably had my guard down.

I'm probably just dense but are you saying I should shut off the A/C at night so the temp goes up in the bedroom at night? I have a closet grow and I guess I was thinking it was better to have a difference in night and day tems of about 8-10 degrees as long as you keep air moving so I've been leaving my air on cuz the bedroom the closet is in doesn't stay very cool without the window A/C running... It would probably be upper 70's in there... about the same as the lights on temp with the A/C... I do understand that the drop in temps creates condensation but I thought my fans would take care of it and look at me now... so... lights off at night and screw the difference between day and night temps to keep it dryer? I feel like such a nimrod sometimes, lol...

Have you ever used Greencure or any of the OMRA 'organic' preventative products out there? I don't mind giving the girls something safe during veg if it would help them be more resistant later but I never foliar feed in my bloom because of bud rot fears...

I really like Mazar. I got lucky with this pheno... It was a staple when I lived in Cali in the late 80's. My connect was a Deadhead who got it from somebody in the Humboldt area and it was always killer... I had a friend who grew some outdoors with some other strains 3 or 4 years ago and I got my bagseed out of a sack of buds I got from him. I don't remember if he said it was a heavy producer but it was very dank bud. My bagseed mother is pretty amazing. My next grow in about 10 weeks I think I'll fill my closet with it...

Oregon Bob said:
Wow!

I ran into (still have) the exact same heat/humidity cycle you were talking about... humidity w so many babies wants to hit low-60's w/o any intervention on my part, and that's with air circ (i can do more, but trying for a semi-controlled air enviro).

Here came the rain... went 1 dehumid, went 2 dehumid, went 3 dehumid... running more than a 1k now... ****... still at mid 50's. Now my a/c is running 20 on, 10 off in the middle of the night... ****! lol... went through this & just about cried... had my head between my knees, hands on top, just shaking my head... didn't know what to do... LOL... ahhhh, the memories.

I've got the balance down now, but still rotate between 2 dehumid & a 12k btu portable &&& had to increase my air exchange a little &&&&& changed the set-up a little to allow more air-flow between the leaves.

It's been a little over a year since I had mold... and that last time was my fault... left the a/c on at night for 3 days... can you imagine the humidity spikes I must have had during the first 2 hours of dark?!? What a bummer... was at week 6 start too... ;-(( When I fist saw something on one of my larger nugs... P A N I C... i mean chicken w it's head cut off type of crazy.

GM is the one thing that makes me **** my pants. Can destroy your life in one simple swoop. Hate this stuff... go to outrageous efforts to prevent... almost went systemic fungicide of the commag business, but just couldn't bring myself to it... i can just imagine all the carcinogens that would be lacing the meds.

I now also blow wind on my plants to the point of VPD & necrosis on the fan leaves. Oh well, willing to take this compromise!

Peace brother!!!

BTW, I have some freebie Mazar... hadn't ever grown her before... do you like it? Hows the flavor, taste & effect? Overall impressions of growing the girl? Thank you!

DOL-

Yeah, I like to shut my a/c off about 15-20 min before lights off & turn on the dehumidifiers... actually run one during the lights on, then both at high during the night. My temps are usually warm (80-84) during the day w CO2 and maintain the same temp up to 86 during the night, which is flipped from the sun outside. Not in the pnw anymore... much hotter now.

I got this idea primarily to reduce the humidity spike once the lights go out. Before regulating, the night temps would drop by 4-6 almost immediately & my rh would jump by almost 10%. With so much green mass transpiring, my day rH can get to 50% (44-48 norm), even while regulating. During first hour would see it up to 64%... this is the range that I would discover GM deep in the cola's.

So, went w no a/c & the dehumid to raise the temps. I see my rh drop to 38-41% within the first hour now. No issues w GM unless I screw up nowadays.

Also, you can look into a practice called "the dif", which is referring to the temperature differential between day/night cycles. There is evidence in varying food crops that if you control the night temps to be equal to and/or 4-6F higher than the day temps, internodal elongation is significantly decreased. I run vertical, so this was an added potential benefit to raising my night temps.

Another related item is the "cold air dump". Rather than increasing the night time temps, it is also noted that a lot of stem elongation occurs during the first hour before to first hour after lights come on. So, one could also employ a lot of cold air blowing in during the first hour of light to offset elongation. This item was covered in the readings I did on the dif a few years back.

Actually, my room kinda uses both as my night temps are so high and my a/c kicks in at lights on, so relatively cooler during this period. My rh will rise again from the 41 to 46-47 after the first hour of light. But my air circulation keeps it undr 50.

I'm a little of freak in that i pay attention to the smallest of details & try to understand everything that i observe... whether or not it makes any real difference...? Kind of a freak... but with the potential harms of not contolling the rh, i don't mind the extra front end work.

Never grew the Mazar but just popped some SSCDH from the boo & got freebie Mazar seeds... rez claims to be the real deal where the mom indeed came from the area, so...? I'm in the process of closing down this grow & mvoing over to another fresh location. Got some SSH, HDF & WW hatching in anticipation. Will run the MZR next batch as got some others on back-up. Loony over here rigght now.

Peace brah! ;-)

Sorry, about the preventatives...

I don't know why copper & sulfur are listed as organic... in my mind, you are dusting the plants/buds with these compounds, which stays on the plant surface indefinitely... until smoked. This isn't appealing to me.

Same with any/all sprays that act as a fungistat... stays on the surface to alter pH & prevent germination.

Any chemical preventative tends to be a translaminar and/or systemic. Examples are chlorothalonil (which i've used) & then the next step of progression towards really harsh chems of thiophanate-methyl, iprodione, mancozeb, & the like. The problem with all of these is that they break down into elements that are usually 5x, 10x, 30x more carcinogenic than the original treating chemical. They pass FDA because they don't study the residual activitiy of these breakdown components, which are the real bad guys.

I've done research on most of the major commercial ag products & you will be very surprised to learn that we intake these compounds in our everyday lives routinely... even in our drinking water. Amazing stuff when you get into it as the toxins we intake are... well, ubiquitous. No wonder we have so much cancer everywhere...

I no longer use any of these products, but the chlorothalonil is the safest as it breaks down quickly w the least residual toxicity. The rest has a ton of anecdotal, if not direct, evidence of the harms. Some don't even like the CT, but it is th emost used fungicide vs all others besides copper & sulfer. Contact killer + has residual activity unlike both copper/sulfer. It works if in a bind.

I have issues w this, but can rationalize it too, but have known several growers that routinely used Cleary's 3336 + chloro-t while growing outdoors. No issues of mold... and that was in the woods of oregon!

Peace.

Hey Bob,

Awesome info... thanks SO much! The rise/fall of temps makes a lot of sense and I'm sure that's where my excess moisture came from. I've done some experimenting this past week with turning off the a/c before lights out and just before lights on so there isn't a big dip and rise in temps and rh and I think I'll be able to get things under control. My temps are around 75 during the day cycle and if I turn off the window a/c in the bedroom the closet is in just before lights out there is very little change in the closet. The bedroom makes a good temp 'buffer.' In about 6 weeks - about the time my current bloom cycle finishes up - the temps and humidity should get much easier to deal with. This weekend we had temps about 10 degrees below normal in the upper 70's and very low humidity for this time of year and it was so much easier to control things...

Also thanks for the info on the preventatives... I've had such few problems over the years with bud rot that I'm going to avoid spraying anything on the girls and deal with tightening things up in the environment.

And god I love SSH! I plan on getting some beans before too long. I grew it years ago but would love to have it in my garden again. It's a challenge indoors but well worth it... The Mazar should be relatively quick for you... 7-8 weeks.

Thanks again...

Latest posts

Back