Auction for server

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem, folks, is that MarP isn't sure exactly what is causing the server to act as it is.

It could be a software conflict between the many addons and vBulletin.

Upgrading the server or adding bandwidth won't resolve that, if indeed that is what the problem is.

I've discussed the problem with MarP and he's got a good plan on how to troubleshoot the software to possibly find the problem. The troubleshooting will take time. Each step has to be tried for a period of time to see what happens.

Of course, if he had the money to hire a techy to do the troubleshooting, it would make it go a lot faster, probably. Those guys charge something like $50 an hour and it could take many hours.

Perhaps MarP could set up a PayPal link for donations.

The donations could go towards hiring a techy to find the problem and *if* it turns out to be just the software, a server may not be needed.

I'll write a PM to MarP and ask about the PayPal thing...

How 'bout new website base software?

Start from scratch again, I am sure the community has a few suggestions.
Not saying there is anything wrong with this interface, just there are some crazy slick online forums out there.

All it takes is money. I would be willing to donate a pipe or two for some MP.com Cash donations.

9. The sale of marijuana or the discussion of sales is not allowed here. The purchase or sale of any items through this site is not allowed. To purchase or sell something, you must first let this total stranger know exactly who you are and where you live. That just isn't smart.

Rules are in place for a reason.

Every time I pay for something using Paypal it gives the other person my name and address.

:peace:

420benny said:
OG, how about running that idea by the boss? If it could be done, then why not? The anonymity thing is still an issue, though.
Ill message Mar again and see if I can make public the paypal acct.

I have a script so I dont mind about being anonymous.

Reactions: Six
StoneyBud said:
The problem, folks, is that MarP isn't sure exactly what is causing the server to act as it is.

It could be a software conflict between the many addons and vBulletin.

Upgrading the server or adding bandwidth won't resolve that, if indeed that is what the problem is.

I've discussed the problem with MarP and he's got a good plan on how to troubleshoot the software to possibly find the problem. The troubleshooting will take time. Each step has to be tried for a period of time to see what happens.

Of course, if he had the money to hire a techy to do the troubleshooting, it would make it go a lot faster, probably. Those guys charge something like $50 an hour and it could take many hours.

Perhaps MarP could set up a PayPal link for donations.

The donations could go towards hiring a techy to find the problem and *if* it turns out to be just the software, a server may not be needed.

I'll write a PM to MarP and ask about the PayPal thing...
Perhaps some friends of mine at another huge site could help?

If there is a will there is a way; once you work it out be sure to inform me. I got US$100 for the cause.

Only need another 79 of them; shouldn't be too hard amongst an audience of thousands.

Anonymity is going to be the issue. But seriously I believe that anybody that really wanted to know what I was up to online by now has a very good idea if they are at all interested.

OGKushman said:
Ill message Mar again and see if I can make public the paypal acct.

I have a script so I dont mind about being anonymous.

Same here, have a script...i would be willing to donate...not worried about being anon...

I think an 'mmj' "script smokin'..
I sure wish MarP would keep the staff abreast of what is going on.
I don't see any way to conduct an auction, without revealing far too many identities/personal information. ANY one that purchases, anyone that donates, (via paypal) ..
"Who" would run it/host it?.."this" site and software sure as heck ain't secure or safe enough. Not to mention the 'server' issue and bidding, ect.
I just don't see MarP condoning it.
I've contacted MarP and asked if we could "donate" for a new server.
I'm asking all you members if we had an "auction " of donated goods that could be "auctioned" off to provide for the new server...I'm offering glass (slides and pipes).
Please respond if you would donate for this cause.....
Second issue would be "where to send the donations"...
I don't see anywhere that MarP has approved any "donation" posts, or an auction. If I'm wrong, I hope he will contact me and let me know.
I just don't see it as a feasible option. EVERY person that wins an auction, would have to reveal their personal info', either to another member,(if the donor shipped the winnings) or to one central "middle man" where everyone would have to send their items, to be distributed.
Then ther's the issue of payment..:confused:.. paypal is certainly not anonymous, personal check?? ..any problem with checks from other countries being cashed??.. money orders??.. maybe a dummy account ??.. "someone" has to put their name on it..
I'm sure MarP appreciates all of the 'good will', willingness and desire to help, but as stated, I don't even think that it has been determined that a new server is needed at this point.

I agree. It's the "return" part that makes it difficult/dangerous. The simplest case is cash through the mail, probably to something equivalent to a PO box here in the states. One way mail, no names, fake return addresses...

But here is the main question:

Hick said:
...but as stated, I don't even think that it has been determined that a new server is needed at this point.

can't begin to even come close to how many times this subject has been discussed. it will lead to no where; 'cept maybe a couple mp'ers getting banned.

if 'the boss' needed help with funding, i'm sure he/she would let his faithful few know of this.

sure theres alot of 'crazy, slick forums' out there, but this is my first to join, so i'll stand by it, until i'm showed the door.

when you give up your addy, you are no longer safe as a grower/breeder. get real. i won't do this in no shape , or fashion. i have way to much to lose. and , i have shown way to much as it is.

so until MarP lays out the thread saying 'Help Needed', i'm heading on over to the grow show to view some bud...(holler when the call arrives)...

OGKushman said:
Perhaps some friends of mine at another huge site could help?
MarP won't let that happen man. Your friends would have the back door to this site? No way. That has IP addresses.

Thanks, but a programmer in the Netherlands is the only answer. They don't care and can't use the info anyway. No one can make them give it up either.

Too many personal lives are at risk by having access to the back end of this copy of vBulletin.

It *HAS* to stay in the Netherlands where it makes no difference.

i offered to donate several 1u rack netservers.

ive still got em!

also several dual 3.2 xeon hp storage and backp servers.

Its like deja vu, this topic comes up every couple months. Solving the server busy msg is easy, every time I get one I go to a better site with better funding and come back a couple weeks later to see if anything has changed. The community here is great, the ease of use of the forum sucks. It is what it is.

I love this site and appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. I think that if is because of this lots of folks responded with offers to assist if needed. I will leave it at that and off I go to appreciate the posts on this
GREAT site. Thanks to all that make it possible.

My opinion means nothing of course BUT: auction could be held IF: A) the donator; has a photo of whats bein donated and B) a link to another paypal or same type of setup could be the answer for those that wish simply to donate cash < via a mod ?> or some other third party.
I dont wish to be banned but i spend 2/3 of my time getting back onto the site for posting or even answering PM's.
I'm at work ? now and even here over a seriuos amount of time trying to get back on or "lost post".

Thanks for the response peeps, i'm sure MarP and his wisdom will see a way ffor something better to happen !

UPDATE: MarP contacted me and Thanked me for the idea but due to certain constrictions choose not to accept my offer. Please close thread as this is officially DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back