There are no Stupid Weed Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, first question 2024

It's about lighting. I surf around and read info on cannabis. Often times I come across commercial size grows the author is using for examples.

I always notice the lamps in these operations. Why are they sooo high above the plants. Why are they not hovering above the canopy like mine? Yeah, I'm sure they are more powerful than what I have but still..distance and light???????? What's the deal with them lights? What am I missing?

Specific Suggestions for California Lightworks LED Grow Lights

SolarSystem® Series​

The SolarSystem series features narrow light angles and higher power so these lights are designed to hang higher than other LEDs. A digital spectrum controller is available which allows you to dim the lights rather than raising or lowering them. This is the best option and avoids constant raising and lowering of the lights.

If you do not use the controller, you can adjust the intensity by raising and lowering the lights:

Propagation – spouts and clones – up to 48 inches

Early Veg – 36 to 48 inches

Veg – 36 inches

Pre-flower – 24 – 36 inches – lower the lights gradually

Flower – 24 – 36 inches depending on the canopy – maximum intensity evenly spread over the canopy

SolarXtreme® Series​

The SolarXtreme series features wide angle COB LEDs. These can be hung much closer to the plants and are especially well suited to tent grows where there are highly reflective walls close to the plants.

Propagation – sprouts and clones – 24 to 36 inches

Early Veg – 24 – 36 inches

Veg – 24 – 36 inches

Pre-flower – 24 inches

Flower – 18 to 24 inches

*In all cases, adjust the light intensity to best suit your plants – they will let you know when they are happy!

The Bottom Line

The intensity or distance between your plants and LED lights is crucial to the health of your grow. Run the lights too high power or place the lights too close, and you can damage the plant. Underpower or hang them too high, and you miss out on the highest possible yields and potency.

Your best bet for getting the exact perfect height is to consult with the manufacturer of your specific LED light. If you’re still on the hunt for an LED light, include customer service as a consideration when weighing your options. Choose an LED light manufacturer that offers easy access to expert insight.

At California Lightworks, we have U.S. based customer support and a great reputation for helping growers set up their best-ever grow operation with cutting-edge spectrum variable LED lights. If we can do the same for you, drop us a line. We’re always here to answer your questions and help you create the best light system for your plants

I'm talking bout stuff like this. Those plants are in veg or early flower. The distance those light are is amazing. Can't wrap my head around it. Distance/intensity???? Are they that powerful?z
Screenshot_20240101-105746.png

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is lots of startup money and not enough brains. I can't see how they keep the plants from stretching their asses off trying to get closer to the light source.

Even with my antique lights, I'm never higher than 3' above the plants.

Ok my question is fid I ruin my plant? Trying to learn LST. I put some tape maybe it will grow back stronger

Attachments

• IMG_2818.mov
    2.4 MB
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
OK looks like you did not snap the stem complete off right?
It bent over and is still attached top to bottom stem? Did you pinch the stem and crush it a little before bending it down, when I do it I crush the stem and then bend it completely over and let it hang, in a few weeks it heals up with a knot at the bend sight.
Look Up Super cropping

The tape will cause the plant to stay upright as it was before,
It will be fine. But if the stem was still attached then you do not need tape let it hang over. That would be super cropping it.
Ok yes that is what I did. I pinched the stem and it bent over. It was almost at the top of the light. The light is s high as it gets. Those bubble gums from carty are very robust plants

So I'm nearing the end of my auto grow. Using 3gal fabric pots. Of course they are all salty and gross looking near the end. I plan on reusing them.

What process do you use to clean these pots? Hand wash, machine wash? What gets rid of all the crud?

So I'm nearing the end of my auto grow. Using 3gal fabric pots. Of course they are all salty and gross looking near the end. I plan on reusing them.

What process do you use to clean these pots? Hand wash, machine wash? What gets rid of all the crud?
I do hot water bucket scrubs using two at a time and scrub them against each other. Rise good and even into the washing machine after bucket wash.

Latest posts

Back