Aussie's Grow #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieStoner

Bong Squad Officer
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been reading the forums for a couple of months now and i love reading peoples grow journals and the advice that is available here.

I had a grow many years ago when i was a kid and it didn't get far as my patience wasn't the best and the leaves ended up getting smoked long before any signs of fruit.

So about a month ago i decided to grow some bagseed i'd collected over the last year or so. The whole thing i wanted to do with stuff laying around the house and i didn't want to buy anything as much as possible.

I'll just get you up to speed to where i'm at currently. I also wanted to experiment and try different things on the plants to see what was good and what was bad. So some things may be against convention or whatever, i'm no gardener (though eagerly interested, go Gardening Australia!), just someone that has a hunger to learn.

I sprouted my bagseed in damp tissue in a cool dark place, as i had done the time before. Over half of them sprouted within a week, these then went into egg carton with some potting mix. Four at first, a couple days later another two.

attachment.php

After a couple of days they were growing well. While they were in the egg cartons though i did things like put worm tea on a couple as well as scraping the inside of a banana skin and put that on. Like i said, i want to experiment. You can see some worm tea on them below.

attachment.php

I decided to pot them now. Only the two on the right as they had grown the best. With these first two i potted them in the egg carton as is was biodegradable, but i later pulled them out of this as i had a suspision that it may have been hindering in growth. :)

attachment.php

I planted the other two in a pot together, just for variation from the others.

attachment.php

I noticed that the soil was drying very quickly, being in a tropical part of Australia and also being end of summer, the sun is hot and harsh. So i though of the whole mulch on garden bed idea for water retention. I used some wood shavings i had for some mice.

attachment.php

I've been watering once a week as the wood shaving retain the water in the soil for that long. The occasional worm tea has been offered as well.

The next post will be even more up to date with where these are at currently. They are growing very slow for obvious reasons. Little to no nutes, outdoor soil grow. I get so jealous when i read the posts that have a jungle within 3-4 weeks. But this is what i've chosen to do for now. :cool2:

08.03.07_01.jpg

10.03.07_01.jpg

10.03.07_06.jpg

13.03.07_01.jpg

16.03.07_02.jpg

nice looking but watch out for mold or fungus good luck

A couple of weeks past without anything major happening, apart from one of the plants that had been put in the pot together died, just shrivelled up and died. It was looking weak the whole time.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23158&stc=1&d=1176786750

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23160&stc=1&d=1176786750

The first is one of the single pot ones and the second is the remaining one from the two plant pot.

I did have a major problem with one of the healthier plants, when it was out in the sun i had some black plastic around the pots as a wind block. Then i had a look a while later and discovered that the black plastic had been blown onto the plant and scorched it. :(

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23159&stc=1&d=1176786750

From six seeds that originally sprouted, four actually grew properly, one shrivelled up and one of the good ones got scorched. Now i'm down to two. Go hard and strong little girls (hopefully)! Survival of the fittest.

The two that are still going, are coming along.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23161&stc=1&d=1176786750

Some yellow on the older leaves. Nitrogen deficient? I would like to know of a DIY solution to this without using nutes, i've read about urine here. Will it do the trick?

This one got some miracle grow the other day, as i found a bit in the shed.

The other one is going well nice and green.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23162&stc=1&d=1176786750

Some obvious differences. The plants are growing much differently, leaf shape, height, etc. Could be strain, but the seeds were all the same, so maybe something i did when experimenting.

So that's it up to date. Now that i've got that part out of the way it'll be easier to stay up to date. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. If i can grow these a little quicker and also maintain the minimal to zero cost that would fantastic.

Cheers. :joint:

02.04.07_01.jpg

02.04.07_02.jpg

02.04.07_03.jpg

16.04.07_01.jpg

16.04.07_02.jpg

3patas said:
nice looking but watch out for mold or fungus good luck

Will do. I guess that could be a downside of retaining the water. Thanks for the tip.

i was thinking maybe you can cover your pots with some paper or that including the soil it might help

Hey thanks Kb.

My only concern at the moment is that it's autumn here, though you wouldn't think it was. Winter is not far, but this year has been really hot, most days still feel like summer (current temp 28C). Hopefully winter isn't too cold, as these babies are probably going to take ages all natural style.

One is dying, need urgent attention, not sure what to do.

I've seen them wilt a little before and i added a little water and they purked back up, but i just watered them yesterday. Also this one is looking beyond repair. I don't want to be left with just one.

attachment.php

The other one is still going alright though.

attachment.php

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Update: After looking in the nutrient disorders thread, i think it's probably got to do with over fertilization and possible lack of soil aeration. Quite possible the amount of miracle grow used. Damn

Can i do anything to remedy this at this stage?

19.04.07_01.jpg

19.04.07_02.jpg

its not looking good i dont think yuo can do much

They're gonners. :(

Guess i'll just start again. Gotta start from seed again, at least i've learnt a few things for next time.

Might invest in some lights and nutes for the next try though.

Latest posts

Back