Auto Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyGold

Reaction score
Hey hope all is well. I am new at growing and am soaking up all information I can! I already have some regular plants coming this spring that will be grew outdoors; however I am very interested in growing auto. Another poster on here introduced me to this idea. I have a couple questions I would love to have some help with.

1. I seen on the auto basics thread that most plants grow to 12 inches. Are there any strains that grow taller and produce more? I will be putting these outside as well.

2. This ties right in with question 1; are these plants outdoor hardy? Im just recently researching these plants and most of what I read talks about them growing indoors. Whats your all's opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

they will grow outdoors just fine...They do stay smaller than most photo period types but the ones Ive grown though somewhat short, were taller than 12" Id say 24" on average....

Hey thanks for the reply! On average how many ounces do you get from each plant? What strain do you use?

Just curious...if you are growing outdoors, why are you growing autos?

My last auto (jock horror) was grown in my greenhouse in straight composted forest products no nutes. It was a little over 6'. That is very unusual but they can get good size. Grown right outdoors your yields will be good. I didn't weigh the buds from jock but it filled a dozen qt. Jars.
Jump in both feet and see if you enjoy growing. If you do, you'll catch on quick.
Read, ask questions and practice.
Its only a weed.

Autos will generally give you a good harvest long before mold get too bad outside.

Hey there thanks for your comments on this thread and the other I posted! I had really never heard of autos till recently. I am growing regular plants but would like to try these and get an earlier harvest if possible while I wait for the rest.

My last auto (jock horror) was grown in my greenhouse in straight composted forest products no nutes. It was a little over 6'. That is very unusual but they can get good size. Grown right outdoors your yields will be good. I didn't weigh the buds from jock but it filled a dozen qt. Jars.
Jump in both feet and see if you enjoy growing. If you do, you'll catch on quick.
Read, ask questions and practice.
Its only a weed.
Wow I’m gonna look that strain up! Thanks so much for your help. And yes I’ll have a million more questions ha ha

Another question maybe you guys can help me with. I’m looking at the jock horror seeds and it says g/m 2 in SOG..... anyone know what exactly this is telling me about the yield? Not only do I not understand it I don’t know if that means per seed or the five . Thank you

G/m 2=Grams per square meter of grow space. This is what the breeder is saying that you can harvest if your grow space is really dialed in. I generally find the yield estimates to be quite optimistic....meaning, this is not the average yield that the average grower gets.

I would say that as you are very new at this that your goal should be to learn to grow and not worry about yield yet.

G/m 2=Grams per square meter of grow space. This is what the breeder is saying that you can harvest if your grow space is really dialed in. I generally find the yield estimates to be quite optimistic....meaning, this is not the average yield that the average grower gets.

I would say that as you are very new at this that your goal should be to learn to grow and not worry about yield yet.
Thank you! Yes I need to learn to grow I agree! Just interested in it all lol . So I’m still confused on growth space. Does that mean what each plant could produce?

Growing autos outdoors keeps the plants small and flowering is not dependent on the days getting short...Also unless you live in the far north or south, you can get a couple of grow seasons in one...my space is such that I can't have even a 4’ plant growing as it will be seen and that is not good...a 2' plant on the other hand will blend much better with the garden...

Last edited:
No, it does not mean how much each plant could produce. It means how much can be produced in an area that measures 1 meter x 1 meter. An area this size generally has multiple plant in it. However, it is possible to veg a single plant for a long period and have it fill a 39" x 39" space. Unless you have to contend with small plant counts, IMO, there is no advantage to this. SOG is a growing method and stands for Sea Of Green. With SOG, you plant a lot of plants per sq ft and flower them while they are still small. It is not something you would use outdoors.

There are so many factors that contribute to your yield--genetics is only 1 part. Things like soil mixes and nutrients are just as important and contribute to the success or failure of your grow. You might want to look for a strain(s) resistant to mold as you live somewhere humidity is high. Or simply select a strain that has the attributes you want in your pot. Don't select a strain solely on estimated yield.

No, it does not mean how much each plant could produce. It means how much can be produced in an area that measures 1 meter x 1 meter. An area this size generally has multiple plant in it. However, it is possible to veg a single plant for a long period and have it fill a 39" x 39" space. Unless you have to contend with small plant counts, IMO, there is no advantage to this. SOG is a growing method and stands for Sea Of Green. With SOG, you plant a lot of plants per sq ft and flower them while they are still small. It is not something you would use outdoors.

There are so many factors that contribute to your yield--genetics is only 1 part. Things like soil mixes and nutrients are just as important and contribute to the success or failure of your grow. You might want to look for a strain(s) resistant to mold as you live somewhere humidity is high. Or simply select a strain that has the attributes you want in your pot. Don't select a strain solely on estimated yield.
Thank you! I’m gonna research mold resistant strains now!

Latest posts

Back