Box Idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drooling just looking at that thing. Wow!

I don't know if I can afford it thought :( That is just a bit high for someone who has no exp yet. Basiclly how I am funding this is I am selling of my American Standard Fender Jazz Bass :(:(:(:(:(

All the money I get from it goes into this project so I am looking at about a 200-300 dollar budget since I can only get about 1/2 to 1/4 of what it is worth resale.

Pussum if you bought that light which would cost ya $205 with shipping you would still have $95 to build a nice grow box. The cool thing about that light is it does it all from vegging to flower. All ya have to do is change the bulbs. ;)

Hmm...I have been kicking it around since you posted it. I want it so bad, but I still have so much to buy. Materials, dirt, pots, wiring, timer, multi-tap, ect. DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!

yeah thats what about killed me too pussum, after buying the big light i realized that was only half my battle. i have only seen the effects of the HPS under veg, and it does make them grow, but honestly i like the growth of the ones vegging under the cfls better. but i havent seen first hand growth from a MH.

i know i want a cool tube for my HPS light though so i can get it closer to the plants so it doesnt loose so much of its light intensity and make it just a little more efficent at what it does.

OMG! Nice idea Pussum. Ive been debating with myself and I might do something just like your idea. I plan on also selling my PSP and MP3 player to buy that light that TBG posted. Hmmmm... I think I might but its not final yet.

Ive used MH from start to finish. The CFLS work great for veg and their cheap but if you want thick mature buds you'll need to go with a light and ballast such as the one TBG suggested. HID mang.

I think for this first couple of attempts I will just purchase a light bar and fill it with the proper bulbs since I am only growing schwag for learning purposes. In the two-three months it will take to grow I can save up to buy the hardcore light.

On a different note: Does anyone think the height of the chamber is to large? AND does anyone have the design specs for rubbermaid vegg chamber? I poked around the basement last night and we have a huge rubbermaid container and some kills to paint the inside with.

Hey pussum. Here are some pictures of a veg box I made with a rubbermaid container.

The first pic is the lid flipped upside down and I mounted three 2' fixtures onto the lid.

The second pic is the lid from underneath.

The third is a pic of the inside of the container with some pot.

The fourth pic is the lid suspended over the container.

This fifth pic is the lid on top of the container with the lights blazing away.

The sixth is the container with the pots I'll use for flowering (I can flower 8 plants this way.)

The last picture is the metal box that I'm putting this into.

1-16-2007-07.jpg

1-16-2007-06.jpg

1-16-2007-08.jpg

1-16-2007-10.jpg

1-16-2007-12.jpg

1-16-2007-14.jpg

closet.jpg

Yorker, give me a play by play of how it was constructed. You know, directions and the materials you used.

Here is an updated set of designs for the grow box. I added a little bit and rearranged some things.

As you can see from the pic I shortened the length from 6 to 5 ft., and moved the fans to be both in the middle near the bottom, above the PVC pipes, to help move that air up into the exhaust that will be mounted in the middle of the top. I will use a 90 degree piece of duct piping for that and paint the inside black to get rid of any shine that may come in the box. I also made note of where the hinges and the handle would be. I am not sure if I will get a key'd lock or just a slide bolt lock and a handle as the room it will be in will be locked as well with a more secure lock.

And here is a shot of what the back will look like when I am done and everything has been tucked away all nice and neat.

The light and both fans will have their own wires and plugs. The wires will be ran for the lights from the top right by the exhaust system through a little hole I will make and will be stapled down the middle of the box. The extra slack for the wiring will be coiled and secured up top for easy access when it comes time to adjust the lights. The fan wiring will also be secured to the back. The name of the game is safety here so each object that draws a current will have its own wiring and will be safely secured and looked after. Just to be sure nothing will ignite the box will be the only thing drawing a current on that circuit and I will be picking up a fire extinguisher today as well.

Ok, so some trouble shooting issues here I want to address. First off, will the two PC fans pointed outward blowing the hot air from inside the chamber to the outside room be enough to keep it cool? I plan on having a box fan in front of the PVC piping blowing fresh air into them. I think with the two fans and the exhaust piping up on top it should be enough, but I am not sure. I don't want to get knee deep into the build and find I don't have proper ventilation because I am going to be running a lot of lights.

if you are doing all this a decent cheap hps/mh light would be the way to go.
a 400 or 600w would be better.
1 or 2 plants max under many cfls

Latest posts

Back