BRITS--What's Your Tea Brand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojavemama

Vapor Vixen
Reaction score
With the English being such connoisseurs of good tea, I wondered what all my Brit friends drink.

My relatives from Blackpool came to the USA with their own tea, knowing we'd not have anything here they would enjoy. So I just wondered, since we can now get teas easily from everywhere--what are some of the best black teas to try?

No, No, No, No, No! Gotta bump this up. Gotta get at least ONE response! I need to know what tea REAL Brits drink! Or is it a secret they don't want Americans to know?????

UKG???????????

Typhoo. PG Tips. Brook Bond. Those are the big three. I drink about 4 mugs of tea a day, at least.

Tetley tea is the only one forget the posh nonsense teas such as earls grey shite that tastes nothing like real tea

lol

t4

Twinings is good . . . there are some truly appalling brands in the USA. Laggs, for instance, appears to consist of floor sweepings. Lipton's Yellow Label is like dishwater.
And please don't think Brits drink horrible rubbish that Hollywood idiots are always banging on about, like Earl Gray (vomit, spew), Lady Gray (yuck) and so forth... we despise such effete rubbish.

An encounter with US cuisine in a San Antonio restaurant:

"Do you have tea?"
"Of course, yes!"
"Like, for instance, English Breakfast Tea?"
"Er, I don't know that one. . . we have iced tea."
"(Sigh) OK do you have Liptons teabags?"
"Yes I have seen some in the store."
"OK, get two of those, put them in a teap-- no forget that, put them in a mug, and pour boiling water on top. OK?"
"Boiling . . . um, we have hot water, will that do?"
"What do you mean, 'HOT'? (with suspicion)"
"From the coffee machine. It's quite hot."
"No, it has to be BOILING!" (lost in thought. idea comes . . .)
"Do you by any chance have a microwave oven?"
"Oh yes, three of them."
"Good. Well, fill a mug with water, and boil it in the microwave, say about 2 minutes, right?"
"Do I put the tea bags in first?"
"(Sigh) NO!"
"Oh. Right."
. . . . . after a while the waiter returns with steaming mug of just-boiled water. He drops the tea bags in. Great, I think. He's finally got it.
- And then he takes the cold milk and pours a whole load of it in.
Have you ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"?

Actually brands aside, it's a blend of Pekoe and Orange Pekoe tips that appeals the most.

Out of curiosity I bought some special Chinese tea called Pooer tea or something like that. I am now convinced not ever to consume anything with poo in its name.

Leafminer, you're a HOOT!!!! ROFLMAO!

And yes, TYPHOO is the name of the tea my relatives from Blackpool brought with them when they visited us here in the USA. I'm pretty hooked on it now, too. Can't STAND Liptons anything. Earl Grey--isn't that the stuff with Bergemot in it? UGH!

I've never heard of PG Tips or Brook Bond. So I'm DELIGHTED to get these recommendations!

And you can be sure I'll bypass the POO Chinese tea too...<G>

Time4--Tetley's???? Brits actually drink TETLEYS????? "It's the tiny little tea leaves...."

Okay, one more question Leaf---when DO you add the milk?????

And finally, THANK SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!!! You too, Time 4!!

leafminer said:
. . . there are some truly appalling brands in the USA...
Turnabout is fair play Miner! :) I made the very dire mistake of ordering coffee in Essex once, Oh... My... God. I think they put bunker fuel in it! I was informed by the staff that only the unwashed heathen masses drank coffee, and that the civilized world drank tea. As an American outgunned in an English cafe, I felt the need to defend my country's honor, so I immediately played the "Lend/Lease Act" card. They weren't impressed.:D

~Snax

Irish morning is awesome too...I actually prefer it to english dont shoot me guys...orange pekeo is my fav..

What does "Pekoe" mean? Is that a strain of the actual tea plant? Or does it have to do with how its cured? I don't know from my English teas (obviously) but I love my green tea.

Yes, Pekoe is a plant variety. The mix of Orange Pekoe and Pekoe makes the traditional "English Breakfast" style tea with its rich deep colour.

As for the milk, Brits always argue as to whether you pour the tea into the cup THEN add the milk, or the milk first THEN pour the tea, but IMO it doesn't matter. Of course if you make it in the cup with a teabag then you always put the milk in afterwards because tea needs boiling water and to brew for a couple of minutes.

I am convinced that British style tea is addictive. Fortunately it happens to be good for your health, full of flavonoids, acts as a diuretic too.

What I don't understand is that according to books about US life in the 30's - tea was THE American drink in those days, I wonder how coffee became the national drink?

:ciao: mojave...Im not a Britt...FULL BLOWN AMERICAN :lama:

I drink HOT tea :giggle: way beter then cold..IMO

Merry Christmas

OH, 4U! HAHH! But what brand of Tea did UKG drink when she was visiting???

the box says PGtips...But think she drank mostly Foldgers:p

I am now convinced not ever to consume anything with poo in its name.

Sounds like an EXCELLENT rule......for sure.

I am a tea drinker, been a tea drinker forever and why do people insist their tea is good (or even brewed correctly) when they dont use BOILING water, I havent a clue. You hit it, dishwater! Make Tea with Boiling water and you will never do the tepid microwave water agian.

I am having such a great day so far . . . the greenhouse construction is coming along, (busy in the garden haha), the grow room is quiet, it being daytime, her indoors has gone to have lunch with her sister, in fact there is no one here but me, the giant dog, my version of Fat Freddie's cat, I have the discography of Kid Cudi on the hifi, and I am going to make a giant mug of PG Tips, about a pint of it.

Just so you all know, and I'm sure many of you do, green tea, black tea (ie english breakfast) and white tea all come from the same plant, its all in when and how the leaves are prepared. I like a lot of herbal teas, like chamomile is one of my favourites, so much so I'm converting my yard into a landscaped garden, why grow grass when you can grow herbs and veggies that look nicer and actually give you a return. I'm going to use chamomile as a ground cover in the back yard and then pick it and dry it. Mmmmmm.

As far as brands go presidents choice is surprisingly good, twinnings, Stash is another good one.

My tea cupboard is overflowing but as far as coffee being uncivilized you haven't tried a cup of fresh ground slow brewed deliciousness from "my" kitchen yet lol. Delish.

Great reply, Tater!!! THX!!! When I read your sentence, "Why grow grass when you can grow herbs and veggies that look nicer and actually give you a return." I was taken aback for a moment--until I realized you meant GRASS like in lawn grass! I'm with you there....

Very interesting information on tea plants, Tater. Thanks so much!

TAYLORS OF HARROGATE?

My hubby brought me home some Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold tea, and I'm anxious to try it. I don't know how good the tea will be, but I'm loving the box it came in, with the English countryside, all emerald green with stone fences and thatched roof houses. Such a delightful view compared to what we have here in Las Vegas. <G>

Latest posts

Back