brown sugar v. molasses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't mean to sound ignorant here, but what do you use brown sugar or molasses for?

It adds carbon to the plant and that gives the plant more mass and unsulphered molasses helps bring out the natural oils and resins and flavors in the bud. Makes them "sweeter" supposedly... I'm currently using it, I'll let ya know how it comes out...

I read somewhere that some people use it throughout the entire cycle... Couldnt find the site again tho..

Since they both cost about the same and are found an aisle or two apart in the grocery store. i would just use molasses lol and do.....

i don't think it would be beneficial to just use plain cane sugar due to the fact that it would probably draw lots of insects to your plants.....

just my opinion though.

you could always go ahead and try it out for experimental purposes though
if you do let us know how it goes ;)

Also the little critters really dont like the blackstrap molasses.. But your plants love it! I cant deliver it verbatim but bugs definitely wont bother your soil if ur using unsulphered molasses... Google it... Molasses Pest Control..

Thanks Mutt but I couldn't find anything about raw cane sugar. It's brown and tastes just like molasses. I use it in my teas sometimes with no problems at all.

bombbudpuffa said:
Thanks Mutt but I couldn't find anything about raw cane sugar. It's brown and tastes just like molasses. I use it in my teas sometimes with no problems at all.

it tastes like molassas becuase it is about 3.5% to 6.5% molassas. ;)
and why i say to just use the unsuplhered "blackstrap" molassas and leave the brown sugar for baking...is brown sugar is refined.
wiki said:
The third boiling of the sugar syrup gives blackstrap molasses. The majority of sucrose from the original juice has been crystallized but black strap molasses is still mostly sugar by calories[1]; however, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamins and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron.

edit: oops realized you said raw cane sugar...should work fine, but think the blackstrap molassas would mix better being thick liquid opposed to crystals. Also a majority of molassas comes from sugar beets and not cane...some do, but mostly from sugar beets.

everything is broken down inter sugars that your body burns same as in a plant to much will kill you or your plant ;)

there is a big difference between raw cane sugar and blackstrap, they are basically the exact opposite, when it comes to sugar manufacturing.

What I mean is that raw cane sugar is basically just sugar, raw unrefined sugar, it has no real nutrient values except for its carbs, this is because a form of blackstrap molasses is made from raw cane sugar syrup that is spun on a powerful centrifuge, that manually seperates as much PURE sugar from the syrup as possible. What you have left is blackstrap. This is not the most efficient way to make blackstrap, and as such is not the way that large molasses manufacturers make it, this is a byproduct of the raw cane sugar making process, with the majority of the focus on producing pure sugar.

So the difference is that all of the important minerals and vitimans, that makes blackstrap... blackstrap will always be left behind in the molasses, as the sugar industry sees these minerals as contaminates and impurities. The sugar industry wants PURE raw sucrose

Latest posts

Back