Brrr it's cold this December!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparda

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question for you all. The temps have obviously dropped quite low given the time of year but what kind of effects can the lower temps have on your plants?

I have two which have been in flowering for around 7-8 weeks and some of the fan leaves and some of the stems are turning purple and the leaves all seem to be pointing up is this due to the colder weather or could it be something else? With the light on temp is around 60F hardly the best temp to grow at but we can't add a heater into the mix to make it warmer, when it comes to lights out it goes to around 50ish.

They seem good other than the leaves turning a weird purple, it's a clone which we grew before so I know it's not just a genetic trait.

Sorry it's not the best picture size to see any actual detail, it messed up when I sent it to my computer and I've since deleted the file.

photo.jpg

sparda.. temps below 60 can start to inhibit nutrient uptake/utilization. The purple is 'probably' a symptom of nute' deficiency due to the cold temps. ;)

:ciao: sparda

I would do what needs to be done to get them temps up

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Can you slow down or put you exhaust fan on a timer ?

Im in the same boat Sparda but i can use heaters when lights are off its just i dont like the idea something is on when im fast asleep esp when electrical heaters are the single worst thing for starting house fires.
I looked into it some more and although oil rads are not the best things to be running for heat cost wise they are considered amongst the safest so tomorrow i throw in my 900w heater.
I dont have any issues with my plants fyi and ive gone as low as 12c recently.
T4

If you are running a small grow there is a 200watt heater that you can get from walmart(yeah I know its walmart but these are ceramic and don't put out a lot of heat, but are ideal for small areas). I acutally have 2 of them in each of my cabs, but I wired a thermostat switch that I got from Lowes that turn off at 75*. I got my heaters and exaust fans on thermostats so that I can maintain between 60*f and 80*f. It works really good but but you have to have a little bit of wiring knowledge.

Hey all!

Thanks for the replies :) I figured it was because it was getting too cold in there. We have since decided to just go ahead and add a little heater into the mix and the average temp is now around 75 so thats much better. I just don't like having a heater on in there like T4 said it's not exactly the safest thing lol but it needs to be done right now if we wanna finish this crop but it drains electric lol.

But hopefully now with the temps averaging at around 75 things will get back on track!

:watchplant::48:

I use an oil radiator in my shed grow, to keep optimum temp. They work great, and are super safe.

HomieHogleg

my oil radiator isnt looking to safe. if its one with a temp setting(wheel) on the side, everytime it cycles, it throws a flash out of it.:eek: would you say its shotgun ready? (thats where i throw it out to the back forty, and mercy kill it with a shotgun blast...or three.)...

i've used the milk barn style heaters for many years with no fires...they don't make them like they did in the 70's. those still run. the ones made today die in the same season thier bought.:eek:

Latest posts

Back