Building Your Own Containers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusionalFate

Winter Madness
Reaction score
I was thinking of ways to maximize root growth in a given area, and I thought custom made cubical containers would be most efficient in space while allowing plenty of room for root growth. If 1 plant per square foot is started, assume with the edges of the container that the dimensions of soil room is 10.5in by 10.5in... with just 18 inches of height in soil space there would be almost 9 gallons of room for the medium.

My question is, would there be any problems with using wood for building the container? I can't see what would be wrong with it but I'm not sure if there's any possible risks when soil is packed against wood for several months. Just want to make sure before I make my own pots that end up corroding after a month.

I see you are an inventor..that is why i wont ask why not use all ready made containers..I am going to use grow gags this fall and I think I will like them..if you build it out of wood be sure not to use treated..also you could line the inside with plastic bag if you want..but reagular wood would last a while before braking down...Hope this helps

take care and be safe

Thanks, I'll make sure to use untreated wood then. The plastic lining sounds like a good idea as well, solves the problem of wood absorbing the moisture or getting water leaks. I wouldn't have a problem using store-bought containers if they weren't so focused on style over space efficiency.

TheChosenOne said:
try styraphoam<--(how ever u spell) ice coolers just cut holes
durable

I don't think styrofoam would be healthy to get up in those roots LOL there is debates that drinking out of foam cups can be harmful. Woulddn't grow out of it.

IllusionalFate said:
I was thinking of ways to maximize root growth in a given area, and I thought custom made cubical containers would be most efficient in space while allowing plenty of room for root growth. If 1 plant per square foot is started, assume with the edges of the container that the dimensions of soil room is 10.5in by 10.5in... with just 18 inches of height in soil space there would be almost 9 gallons of room for the medium.

My question is, would there be any problems with using wood for building the container? I can't see what would be wrong with it but I'm not sure if there's any possible risks when soil is packed against wood for several months. Just want to make sure before I make my own pots that end up corroding after a month.

Do not use wood. Unless you have a liner that will completely keep the moisture from your wood, it will rot in no time. Rotting wood inself can create mold, mildew, bug problems. IMO, wood is one of the worst things to use.

Using styrofoam coolers will not harm your plants adversely. But I have to say that I do not think you have looked hard enough if you cannot find suitable ready made containers. What in the world is wrong with plastic buckets? Grow bags? Rubbermaid totes? Etc, etc...

Latest posts

Back