can you trim secondary growth from a flowering plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGkush

Reaction score
i have a two foot tall kush plant and i was wandering if i could trim the lower secondary growth to focus growth on my top colas.

you can but really not necessary.i wouldnt be cutting on your plants.....if i were you i would be focusing on keepin em healthy and not be cutting off anything.....man just let it grow.

On my runt i'm going to keep all the bud sites on the sides of the plants off. Just make it grow out of the top cola.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

well the good thing is i topped my baby at a foot and she grew nine main top colas about 16-18 inches long, the problem is i have about eight lower colas that get no light theyre 35 days into the 12/12 light cycle and have hardly any bud. if i cut hese off will it effect the top colas,or will it channel the growth towards them?

hey og i would let the top buds mature and harvest then hit it with a little superbloom and let the bottom of the plant then mature a second time.

that sounds good, to do that would i leave my timer on 12/12? thanx 4 the help.

Weeeell. If you trim the other bud sites besides the top cola, the top cola will recieve more engergy to grow. I'm doing it on my runt plant. It's 18 days into flowering and now has a 2 and a half inch bud, bigger than the rest simply because i'm making it grow that way. By cutting off the side bud sites, it'll make the top cola grow strait up into a nice, huge bud. Makes harvesting and curing easier too, as well as a nicer looking bud. It's not recommended by many people i'd say, and i owuldn't do it to all my plants. But if you want to, and you do it right, nothing can happen to your plant but a bigger top bud. You'll still get the same ammount of bud though.

Also, if you want the bottom to get light as well as the top, you should look into LST, you can tie your plant down some and the light will get to the bottom bud sites as well as the top. Ooor you can pull back certain leaves and tie them there so that the light will raech to the bottom, or like slim said you can harvest the top and then harvest the bottom later on. Good luck with whatever path you choose my friend, take care!

~Burn one~
Dewayne

sweet, thats some good info Dewayne,ill have to sleep on it though i hate making tough dississions for my ladies.

Haha! yeah i know what you mean. you're welcome man. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask, that's what these forums are for! The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Take care and good luck!!

~Burn one~
Dewayne

I would leave it on 12 and 12 the bottom sites that weren`t getting light will fill out after you take the top buds off and they will grow faster because all the roots will only be feeding the bottom of the plant

OGkush said:
well the good thing is i topped my baby at a foot and she grew nine main top colas about 16-18 inches long, the problem is i have about eight lower colas that get no light theyre 35 days into the 12/12 light cycle and have hardly any bud. if i cut hese off will it effect the top colas,or will it channel the growth towards them?

I bend mine out and put a twig in the middle so that the lower layers can get light. basicly pushing everything out to get light in the middle. works great

I cook all those little buds into butter later on.

endless possibilities as you already see. i do trim all sucker branches on my plants so canopy is only thing needing light. trim them slowly over a course of a couple weeks & i never saw any repercussions from it. youll have to just pinch off new growth as it grows back or else you are defeating the purpose.

Latest posts

Back