cfl and hid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
I started some seeds with cfl lighting (2- 100w) and the growth was kinda slow but there was little space in between nodes. I put the plants under the hid and the plants grew taller but it seems like they stretched more. The hid is a 600 watt mh about 18 inches away from the top of the canopy. Do plants stretch more under hid lighting or am I doing something wrong?

Because you can't get the light as close as you could with some other lights, they tend to stretch a bit...or this would be my guess, at least!

I love my T5's for vegging, they put out great light!

edit to add, Hello and :welcome:

Well i have to disagree with Roddy on this one. (no hard feeling buddy :48: )

Have a look in my GJ in my link, i have grown these plants under 600w hps since they were about a week old and they are so tight inbetween nodes that it actually makes it pretty hard to handle hehe.

18 inches is too far away IMO, i try to keep mine 12 inch and under away from the plants.

Do you have a air cooled hood? ventilation?
Did you put them under HPS when flowering or are they still in veg?

hate to disagree with both of you :rofl:

red spectrum bulbs do not allow plants to make certain hormones so they stretch. blue for veg, tight nodes, red for flower, causes stretch in plants and this is why there is a 2-3 week final push before flower. its all just spectrum

try this: switch 1/2 ur plants under cfl and 1/2 under hps...:)

happy growin!

*i run my 1000wt air cooled hoods 6in from canopy tops.

Good info there Og, didn't know that.

OGKushman said:
*i run my 1000wt air cooled hoods 6in from canopy tops.
i'm amazed at how close you put a 1kw without frying plants, anyway why so close? you wouldn't cover enough sq.ft with it being at 6" i would guess...

Thanks for the input guys...I don't have an air cooled reflector but I did move the light closer to the top of the canopy and they are taking it pretty well.

zem said:
i'm amazed at how close you put a 1kw without frying plants, anyway why so close? you wouldn't cover enough sq.ft with it being at 6" i would guess...
you do with a magnum xxl 6" hood :)

sea of 8gram nugs is why i do it

OGKushman said:

red spectrum bulbs do not allow plants to make certain hormones so they stretch. blue for veg, tight nodes, red for flower, causes stretch in plants and this is why there is a 2-3 week final push before flower. its all just spectrum

happy growin!

Good to know, THANKS!!!! And please, disagree as much as you need...I'll not learn otherwise! :)

:)

i keep trying over and over to attach a pic from photobucket and it wont work here. :(

9c38a2d2.jpg

I keep my MH going for the first couple weeks of 12/12 befor switching to HPS to keep the stretch at a minimum.

OGKushman said:

happy growin!

And I would hate to disagree with you, but many people successfully veg and bloom under hps and end up with nice tight growth. Nothing to do with color spectrum.

Check out this thread- it shows my results from a side by side test:

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48364

While other factors contribute to stretch, the single biggest factor for stretch is low lighting.

Trojan46312- like Jericho said, get your light closer.

BBFan said:
And I would hate to disagree with you, but many people successfully veg and bloom under hps and end up with nice tight growth. Nothing to do with color spectrum.

Check out this thread- it shows my results from a side by side test:

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48364

While other factors contribute to stretch, the single biggest factor for stretch is low lighting.

Trojan46312- like Jericho said, get your light closer.
BBFAN, im not saying people dont do it successfully.

Light Distance and SPECTRUM are the biggest contributing factors to vegetative stretch. While i also have tested this i found that MH bulbs drastically reduce internodal stretch.

quick google search brings up same results

hXXp://www.google.com/m/search?oe=U...3&htf=&his=&q=red+spectrum+hps+causes+stretch
try "hps causes stretch" "red spectrum causes stretch" " MH vs HPS stretch" etc...

hXXp://www.growkind.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-22714.html
hXXp://thecaliconnectionltd.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=528

Is it possible that you can compensate for the incorrect spectrum with an increased amount of lumens?

I must admit that since i vegged my last lot under HPS there was no stretch that i could see on the plants.

OGKushman said:
BBFAN, im not saying people dont do it successfully.

Light Distance and SPECTRUM are the biggest contributing factors to vegetative stretch. While i also have tested this i found that MH bulbs drastically reduce internodal stretch.

quick google search brings up same results

hXXp://www.google.com/m/search?oe=UTF-8&client=safari&hl=en&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=486&fsdt=2303&htf=&his=&q=red+spectrum+hps+causes+stretch
try "hps causes stretch" "red spectrum causes stretch" " MH vs HPS stretch" etc...

hXXp://www.growkind.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-22714.html
hXXp://thecaliconnectionltd.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=528

I certainly meant no disrespect OGKushman. Your skills and experience far exceed mine.

But, I'm not basing my comments on anecdotal evidence, though some of the links you provided actually support my statements. Under a 24/0 regimine, spectrum has very little, if any, impact on internodal stretch.

Personally, I'm a big believer in the benefits of light that is closer to the ultraviolet spectrum than that of the infrared for our plants- but not for reduction of stretch. My personal experience and everything I've researched indicate that light intensity, not spectrum, contributes more to stretch than any other limiting factor. (There are some interesting studies regarding day temps versus night temps and the impact on stretch- but that's under a flowering schedule).

Everything I've found regarding light spectrum has more to do with florigen production, but none discuss stretch (though florigens have yet to be classified as a specific enzyme- but that's another discussion;) ).

If you can show me published studies, I'd love to read them. Always interested in learning more. Again, no disrespect intended.

bbfan go back and read post 16 first sentence. I am agreeing, and adding to your insight

:)

no disrespect seen

Jericho said:
Is it possible that you can compensate for the incorrect spectrum with an increased amount of lumens?

I must admit that since i vegged my last lot under HPS there was no stretch that i could see on the plants.
They'd have been tighter nodes had it been blue spectrum, it's got a lot to do with heat also... If you can draw enough heat away from the lamp, you can put it right on top of the plants! If you were to do a side-by-side, seed to harvest grow with MH and HPS the same distance from two of the same strain females, HPS would be taller, but would carry a larger yield! It would be interesting to see if increased lumens would have an affect on stretch... Seems with the increased intensity it would allow for tighter nodes... Hmmm:confused: I prefer to veg with daylight CFL's, but i've heard good things about t5's also. CFL's are nice because their relatively high output for wattage, and they eliminate a lot of issues associated with excess heat!:D hope this helps brother!

Latest posts

Back