cfl and hid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CFL's are more expensive to run and are actually hotter than a T5.....but we all use what works for us!! :)

Gixxerman420 said:
....CFL's are nice because their relatively high output for wattage, and they eliminate a lot of issues associated with excess heat!:D hope this helps brother!

Actually, CFLs are the most expensive to operate of all the bulbs we use to grow. CFLs put out about 62 lumens per watt. T5s put out about 92 lumens per watt, about the same as a MH. HPS put out about 100-150 lumens per watt depending on wattage of the bulb. CFLs will also put out more heat than a HPS.

zem said:
i'm amazed at how close you put a 1kw without frying plants, anyway why so close? you wouldn't cover enough sq.ft with it being at 6" i would guess...
Idealy your girls should be able to touch the glass without getting burnt. the only reason i could think of that the light shouldnt be right ontop of them is if you are actualy in a room and not a little box. then i could see the need to have the lights raised so you can make sure light is getting everywhere.
IMO growth depends on the grower more than the tools we have to work with. :48:
:peace:

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, CFLs are the most expensive to operate of all the bulbs we use to grow. CFLs put out about 62 lumens per watt. T5s put out about 92 lumens per watt, about the same as a MH. HPS put out about 100-150 lumens per watt depending on wattage of the bulb. CFLs will also put out more heat than a HPS.
T5's must be relatively cool then because I veg with these right on top of the plants! How much $$ to set up t5's for my grow? I need about 400 watts...

Gixxerman420 said:
T5's must be relatively cool then because I veg with these right on top of the plants! How much $$ to set up t5's for my grow? I need about 400 watts...

Yes, they are. I generally do not get burn on my leaves from my T5 unless the leaves grow into the light and actually sit against the bulbs.

Lighting needs are not figured by watts, but rather by lumens per sq ft. For vegging we strive for 3000 lumens per sq ft. So, what are the dimensions of your vegging space? However, like HL, I use a 4' 4 bulb HO T5 that puts out 20,000 lumens in a 4 x 2' space. While this is a little under the 3000 lumens per sq ft, we both get excellent results.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Yes, they are. I generally do not get burn on my leaves from my T5 unless the leaves grow into the light and actually sit against the bulbs.

Lighting needs are not figured by watts, but rather by lumens per sq ft. For vegging we strive for 3000 lumens per sq ft. So, what are the dimensions of your vegging space? However, like HL, I use a 4' 4 bulb HO T5 that puts out 20,000 lumens in a 4 x 2' space. While this is a little under the 3000 lumens per sq ft, we both get excellent results.
Okay, well I'm sitting right at 7,200 lumens per sq. ft. ... Ladies seem to love it! how much would a set up like yours run? Any ballast and all that needed? IDK much about any lighting other than MH, MV, HPS, and CFL... I guess I know a little about lights!:rofl: What is it like a fluorescent tube? I'm intrigued!

Are you saying that you are running 7200 lumens per sq ft with CFLs? If so, T5s would probably cut your electricity bill by 1/3 for starters.

Gixxerman420 said:
Okay, well I'm sitting right at 7,200 lumens per sq. ft. ... Ladies seem to love it! how much would a set up like yours run? Any ballast and all that needed? IDK much about any lighting other than MH, MV, HPS, and CFL... I guess I know a little about lights!:rofl: What is it like a fluorescent tube? I'm intrigued!

No ballasts, the unit is complete as is and looks like a normal shop light, basically. Yes, just like a Fluorescent tube.

Prices range depending on model, maker etc...

.......'actually' the ballast is in the housing/hood/fixture, and they require a t5 fixture.
i.e. you cannot simply buy t5 bulbs and put them in your standard florescent fixture.
All flo's and hid lights require a ballast. cfl's have it built into the bulb.

Hick said:
.......'actually' the ballast is in the housing/hood/fixture, and they require a t5 fixture.
i.e. you cannot simply buy t5 bulbs and put them in your standard florescent fixture.
All flo's and hid lights require a ballast. cfl's have it built into the bulb.

Right, must use the T5 unit...hope I didn't mislead. I meant no ballast to buy separately...

how-to-install-a-fluorescent-lamp-1.jpg

Basic florescent light and ballast

WOW! Thanx a lot guys, I'm assuming I can get a full set up on eBay somewheres? The noding is still really close with this type of lighting? Appreciate the info dudes and dudettes!

The wattage is close to what I'm running now, but I didn't see a lumens rating anywhere in the product description.... Here's the gist... Brand New in Box, 6 Bulb T5 HO Lighting Fixture, 6- 54 watt Bulbs, 324 watts of growing power... It also states that it's 4ft... Long I'm guessing... how wide do you reckon? nevermind... It's 20 in. wide! This is somewhere between 6-7 sq ft. At 92 lumens per watt (thx THG), this equates to something like 4200 lumens per sq. ft.!This would work beautifully for my needs... But the bank is empty right now!:(:cry: it has a buy it now price of 189.99 and S&H of 29.99... Is $220.00 a good price for this type of system?I can also get an 8 light system the same size with 432 watts for $40 more. Is it a fixed system or could I rig it to raise/lower as needed?(I'm assuming it can be movable, just covering bases)... Any other helpful information about this type of light source that I'm not thinking of here would be appreciated guys! THX A TON!!! Okay wait... I just found a 4' 4 bulb system for $90.00 and free shipping what do you guys think? I probably don't need the 6-8 systems if I'm only vegging 6-10 plants should I? Thanks in advance guys for dealing with my ignorance... I am just trying to soak in as much as I can!:D

Gixxerman420 said:
The wattage is close to what I'm running now, but I didn't see a lumens rating anywhere in the product description.... Here's the gist... Brand New in Box, 6 Bulb T5 HO Lighting Fixture, 6- 54 watt Bulbs, 324 watts of growing power... It also states that it's 4ft... Long I'm guessing... how wide do you reckon? nevermind... It's 20 in. wide! This is somewhere between 6-7 sq ft. At 92 lumens per watt (thx THG), this equates to something like 4200 lumens per sq. ft.!This would work beautifully for my needs... But the bank is empty right now!:(:cry: it has a buy it now price of 189.99 and S&H of 29.99... Is $220.00 a good price for this type of system?I can also get an 8 light system the same size with 432 watts for $40 more. Is it a fixed system or could I rig it to raise/lower as needed?(I'm assuming it can be movable, just covering bases)... Any other helpful information about this type of light source that I'm not thinking of here would be appreciated guys! THX A TON!!! Okay wait... I just found a 4' 4 bulb system for $90.00 and free shipping what do you guys think? I probably don't need the 6-8 systems if I'm only vegging 6-10 plants should I? Thanks in advance guys for dealing with my ignorance... I am just trying to soak in as much as I can!:D

For $180 shipped, you can get two 4 bulb which is cheaper than the 8 but delivers the same power...nice! I forget how big you plan to grow, but I don't think you'll be vegging 6-10 pants under a 4 bulb, I am currently growing out of room with a mere 3 under my 4 bulb and 4 under the 6 bulb...plants are in 5th week vegging.

The only dumb question is that not asked, my friend! :)

Roddy said:
For $180 shipped, you can get two 4 bulb which is cheaper than the 8 but delivers the same power...nice! I forget how big you plan to grow, but I don't think you'll be vegging 6-10 pants under a 4 bulb, I am currently growing out of room with a mere 3 under my 4 bulb and 4 under the 6 bulb...plants are in 5th week vegging.

The only dumb question is that not asked, my friend! :)
Okay, The 4' 4 bulb system was a used one and has been sold already... I found a new 4' 6 bulb system that is only $190.00 brand new with free shipping.. I'm going to get it just after midnight when the wifey's direct deposit clears:hubba: THX HUNNY!!!:rofl: She doesn't like me growing really (hence why they're in a new place and NOT with me anymore) but she knows I'll be talking about it til' I get it anyways! I love being annoying sometimes! I hate not bringing in money though... Gotta beg and steal to get anything!:cry: oh well... What can you do... Anywayz, the light boasts an incredible 30,000 lumens from 324 watts (about 92.6 lumens per watt)! This is enough to veg ten square feet... And seeing how I'm not growing monsters like yours, (lovely BTW) I think this will be enough... That gives me a sq. ft. for each plant if I do ten... I don't have enough room to flower 10 so I think I'll be good!

the light from these won't be as useful if too far from the plants, so truly, the coverage range is directly below the light....you can't raise this light up to throw light over a 10' area like HID's, effectively at least. This is MHO though!

Hi Gix,
I have a 4ft 4 tube hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-FOOT-4-TUBE-T5-LIGHTWAVE---MAXIBRIGHT-HYDROPONICS_W0QQitemZ110600245147QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=216789631710&rvr_id=216789631710&cguid=a0c09ecd12e0a47a2691c8a1fffafe55 the same as this.
I have 2 totes under it, each with 4 plants in 5" netpots, also under it is a bubbler for cuttings over 2 weeks old and a propagator for fresh cuttings/seedlings. There is also a couple of tomato's and a strawberry under there for good measure. SO, what I am saying is if you plan out your space, you will be surprised how much you can fit under a 4 tube t5.
Peace W

One thing you should keep in mind, you can switch the lights whenever you want, but the plant will bud when it's mature. All my "monsters" (THANKS, I do love to let them grow) currently under the T5's have either just reached or are close to reaching maturity...this means these gals are about normal size for vegging IMHO, since they have been vegged the required amount of time, and not much longer. Size of pot might factor in, of course.

Just giving you something to think about when it comes to size of plants and how many you'll be able to grow.

Blue spec is best for veg... Red is best for flower... T5 lights put out more LPW than T12s T8s or CFLs.. but T12 fixtures are usualy alot cheaper. U can catch them for like 9.99 at Lowes sometimes.. the 4" long ones that hold 2 bulbs.. and a box of T12 bulbs with full spec are like 35 bucks or so.. thats like 10 bulbs i think.. SOO

i use T12s for mothers/clones/seedlings/all veg
i use HPS 1000w for all flowering from first day of flower.

Hey Roddy

i have a question for you... its about plants being mature.. i keep seeing this saying "sexualy mature" and im wondering what exactly this means..
now i have read before to veg for 2 months before you flower.. but it goes without saying that the plant will be pretty big after 2 months of veg.. I usualy take clones, root for 2 weeks, veg for 1-2 weeks, and then flower.. this means my plants are still very small when they start flower.. id say no more than 6 to 8" tall.. but they grow cray fast and big under the HPS.. give me nice big nugs and usualy 2+ ounces per plant. SOO

what exactly is sexualy mature? is there something the plant does? is there something you can see on it? how exactly do U know if and when a plant is sexualy mature? and does it flower better? faster? bigger? when its mature? thanks

Latest posts

Back