Clones Recovering - Nutrient Deficiencies Present? [PICS]

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Amas

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had some serious problems with a pythium infection in DWC...

I ended up pulling my plants. I chopped off all of the roots and I chopped them up into several pieces and treated them like cloned cuttings, most of which survived. The ones that didn't were simply cut in places that are not conducive to further plant development (i.e. it's really hard to root a single cannabis leaf!)

This is the current state of the clones, and there are 3 new seedlings that sprouted 5 days before this image was taken (see: 5a, 6a, 8a)

Right click on the image and hit "Download Original"
hXXps://www.dropbox.com/s/wz0vpcflcjmknrx/20130628.jpg
I have them in 5 gallon pots with 50% peat moss + 25% organic soil (.1/.1/.1 NPK which is essentially zero) + 25% play sand.

A gallon or two of 150 ppm tap water was run through each pot with significant runoff to remove mobile contaminants.

A half liter of 450 ppm GH FloraNova Grow soln. was introduced to the top layer of the soil, saturating the first several inches of the top medium layer.

I wonder if I have a phosphorous deficiency (purple stem). The purple seems to have subsided a little since I fed them yesterday. I'm not sure if I should feed them again, perhaps with 600 ppm nutrient solution. I don't know how to tell if they are starting to be burned by nutes. I am afraid I an feeding them too little right now. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

when feeding to much I found a couple stems that were soft, bend real easy like floppy or close to it

The seedlings need NO NUTES right now, not until the cotyledons(the little round "seed leaves") turn yellow, then start them out with no more than 300ppm for the first week's feeding. Then if they react well and take off growing, bump to 450 for the next week's feeding. Slowly bump them up to a max veg feeding(depending on the strain) 600-800ppm.

With the clones, when first cut and set for rooting, they need no nutes accept something with rooting hormones in it. If you first used clone rooting gel or powder then you can use just straight water for the first 2-3weeks, or until you see the clones begin to show new growth. At that point, you can begin feeding the same way as the seedlings.

With either seedlings or clones, you have to be careful with feeding too much too soon because the new roots on both are not tough enough to stand up to the onslaught of elements. In nature, the roots of plants are most often protected by hords of microbes that live in symbiosis with the plants. In our personal grows, unless we make up organic soil and add significant microbes and allow them time to poliferate, we don't have the root protecting microbes and have to be more carefull with young plants :)

I am wondering about your soil mixture. Did you get this recipe somewhere? I am concerned about something that has 50% peat moss as it is really acidic and you added no lime or anything else to help with the acidity of the peat. The sand adds nothing to the mix except help with drainage.

While you need no nutes until they are rooted, like Hushpuppy mentioned, I am concerned with your soil mixture locking out nutes because of improper pH. Have you checked the pH of the runoff?

I also never take clones from diseased plants.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I took each plant out of its peat moss mix and put it into a mix of 60/40 soil/perlite with a 300 ppm nutrient solution and plenty of water every few days, allowing the substrate to dry out significantly between waterings. The peat moss was a bad idea waiting to happen. I will stick to the nute regimen suggested by Hushpuppy.

I have to agree with Hushpuppy. seedlings/clones require no nutes. This is a weed so remember just some nice PH water will do the young lings fine. I have had a similar problem and was able to reverse the same thing by using super thrive at half dose(depending on how old they are, otherwise full dose) Hope this helps . Good luck

Latest posts

Back