Clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnick

Reaction score
I have cloned before with good results. I built a better cloning area, but the lights are different than what I have used before. I have attempted to clone 4 times with bad results. My question is what is the best distance between the dome and the lights. I am using a small plastic cloning done, the kind you get at places like lowes or home depot. Should I be closer or further.

clones.jpg

what lights are those? whats the medium..and temps...thatnks for pics..i use a bubble cloner..so no help sorry..take care and be safe

The lights are led and I am cloning in peat moss pellets. I prepared 5 clones about 5 hours ago and now the leaves are turned up, like they are drying up. I am leaning towards the problem being the lights. The florescent lights I used before, I could put the dome close to the lights. Because of the led lights I can not tell where I need to put the dome. I am started to believe that the lights are the problem some how.

Something else somebody pointed out was that the plants were too moist. I use to spray them twice a day, now I spray them every hour. So maybe they are getting to much water. I lost my clones over night. So I will cut more today and spray them twice a day and see what happen.

click my sig and check out post #23 this works 100% ! Peace and all the best !

Im not a Fan of LED..i know they dont give out heat..so I say even closer then flouresents.. watering everyday to keep medium moist..yes...soaked NO

4u2sm0ke said:
watering everyday to keep medium moist..yes...soaked NO

:yeahthat: I'm no expert as I just ran my first batch of clones- but I did have 100% success (Thanks Hick- I followed your advice). Everything I've read says the clones need oxygen- keeping them too wet will actually deprive them of oxygen and won't allow the roots to form.

Mist the leaves twice a day. I think the dampness is more the issue than the lights- as long as the lights aren't too intense you should be fine. Just my thoughts. Hope this helps.

Thanks BBFan. I was wondering about one thing. I cut my clones last night and this morning that are almost dead. I did mist them a lot, a lot and a lot. Could over watering could cause this. If so then I found my problem.

today.jpg

You mean you just cut them from the mother last night? I don't think you could drown them that quickly if that's what you mean. I would guess that would be too much heat?

Imagine a cut flower- it would still survive a few days in a vase of water.

If those were cut from the mom a few days ago, then yes, it could be too much watering.

I don't think the light has anything to do with it. You've got something else going on here, but I do not know what. Some of the leaves look really brown and dead and I'm not sure I see any growing tips.

Can you tell us exactly what you are doing and give us some better pics?

I had the same issue... what I did wrong was i OVERWATERED and my dome was not allowing air into the environment... i used Flouro's. but that isnt the problem. - i also had better success using mini rockwool cubes rather than pete moss, which is what i normally would use for anything else... they hold a better level of moisture, where the pete moss can clump and mess with the roots - (seems odd, but can happen)
also, check your water pH... first batch for me i used tap water... bad idea, put a little lime juice in the water...but just a little, and in a big tub of water...

peace and happy growing homeslice.

The clone bucket works great for me.... 30 for 30 thus far = 100%... no dome to deal with... check my 2 tent cont journal for pics...

IMO its def worth the $100... add water + nutes and follow their directions then just forget about it for 7-10 days... my last set of clones had roots ranging from 2"-4" in 9 days in the bucket...

After four attempts or 24 clones I decided to dig out my old, very old office lights and start over. I had almost 100% using these old lights, so I know it will work. I guess the simple way is best sometimes. Thanks for all the advise, very helpful.

Melnick said:
After four attempts or 24 clones I decided to dig out my old, very old office lights and start over. I had almost 100% using these old lights, so I know it will work. I guess the simple way is best sometimes. Thanks for all the advise, very helpful.

IMO, it cannot be the lights. LEDs should be fine for cloning. The leaves on your clones are brown and dead...that didn't happen overnight did it? Also, it looks like there might be way too much leaf material--I cannot even see any of the growing tips.

They look like you took too big a cutting.
Also over watered.

The soaked greenhouse look in your dome has never worked for me.

What works for me is using rockwool and just place it on a plate and just wet the bottom of the cube 1/4 inch max at the bottom and gradually using less and less water until I see roots coming out of the cube.

No domes no misting, none.

Oh my Lord!!!!1 I never told anyone to toss it..and satrt new they aint no way. those will make it....Im with The Hemp Godess " No grow tips"...you should take more then what ya did...one looks like ya toped it ..that type of clone will take longer to root...ya wanna have 4 inches of plant with atleast 2 node sites..I like 3-4...are ya useing a root hormone?

Growdude said:
They look like you took too big a cutting.
Also over watered.

The soaked greenhouse look in your dome has never worked for me.

What works for me is using rockwool and just place it on a plate and just wet the bottom of the cube 1/4 inch max at the bottom and gradually using less and less water until I see roots coming out of the cube.

No domes no misting, none.

too small???:rolleyes: not controdicting ya Growdude..as I learned a lot from ya..and am doing some clones the way you do now as well...i like all diffrent ways..but most is Bubble cloner..But had baught 100 1 inch rw last fall..so i use up..:hubba: take care and be safe

Ok, it's time for cloning, 101.

Melnick, if you follow what I say, I will guarantee you some healthy, rooted clones.

First, get rid of that misting bottle. It's unnecessary and actually is drowning your cuttings.

Secondly, get rid of the dome. It's unnecessary and is starving your cuttings for oxygen and helping to drown them.

The lights are not your issue. You really don't need that much light, but using LED's, there is no heat, so it won't harm the cuttings either.

Ok, Dome is outta there. Misting bottle is outta there.

Now lets start from the beginning.

1. Have your peat pellets pre-soaked and ready for the cuttings. The peat should be fully expanded and only MOIST. Not WET, Not DRY, just moist.

2. Widen the hole in the peat pellet slightly so that you don't knock or scrape off the rooting hormone when inserting the cuttings into the peat pellets. Take it all the way to the very bottom of the pellet with only a tiny bit of peat at the bottom.

3. Have your rooting hormone open and ready to dip the bottom of each cutting into.

4. Using a razor blade, not scissors, not pinching, but a nice, clean, sharp razor blade, cut a top stem at 4 to 6 inches in length.

5. Using the razor blade, remove all side branches and leaves from the cutting. Leave only 4 or 5 leaves at the very top of the cutting. I'll tell you why; You don't want the cutting to have very much photosynthesis and transpiration. More leaves will cause both. You want the cutting to alter it's growth via the rooting hormones and almost STOP growing vegetation and NOT have to support existing vegetation other than a slight amount of it to provide what photosynthesis is needed for rooting and keeping the stem alive.

6. Put your cutting into a bowl of water so that the cut end is under water. While holding it under water, cut the stem again at a nice 45 degree angle with a clean razor blade. This makes sure that an air bubble hasn't entered the stem, causing an embolism that will kill the cutting.

7. After the second cut, dip the cutting into your rooting gel or powder until it's covered to the depth that will be UNDER THE PEAT. Then give the cutting a slight tap to knock off any excess rooting hormone. It doesn't take very much of this stuff to accomplish what you need.

8. Gently place the cutting into the peat pellet and collapse the hole around it to GENTLY push the peat against the stem. I use the narrow end of a chopstick to do this.

9. Put your cutting into your clone area with a little air flow moving around them. Not much, but enough to provide some air circulation. This will prevent any humidity from forming on the leaves and causing the clone to "sweat" and drown.

10. Put the cuttings under your lights and COVER the peat pellets with some plastic or something to keep them in the DARK. Later, this will help the roots grow faster when they near the outside of the peat. For you folks that don't do this, I've done both on many experiments and covering the peat pellets works better every time.

11. DON'T MOTHER THE CUTTINGS TO DEATH. Leave them alone with the exception of making sure that they NEVER DRY OUT and are ALWAYS MOIST, BUT NOT WET.

12. Never pick up the cutting. Don't touch it. Don't pet it. Don't give it ANYTHING but plain water. Don't mist it, don't do anything to it. In about 10 days or less, you should see lots of roots starting to appear on the outside of your peat.

Get a good quality rooting hormone that includes an anti-fungal. The stuff is worth it's weight in gold to a grower.

Good luck!

4u2sm0ke said:
.Im with The Hemp Godess " No grow tips"...you should take more then what ya did...

Re read what H.G. posted, too much leaf slows em down and causes too much transpiration. Until there some roots it cant take up that kind of water.

Growdude said:
Re read what H.G. posted, too much leaf slows em down and causes too much transpiration. Until there some roots it cant take up that kind of water.

:aok:

Latest posts

Back