Cloning flowering plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small plant in full bloom which I would love to clone. However, I am a complete cloning virgin and have no idea where to begin.:confused2: If someone could give a full blow-by-blow in laymans terms for me it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks BBP! I'm still a little dumb tho - When I take my cutting, how close to the main stem should I go:confused2:

It depends for me. Is the branch long enough to take a cutting and leave some growth for new cuttings later? If so just make cuts to the node on the branch so you'll have more cuttings from that same branch later. If the branch is only big enough for one cutting, cut close to the main stem or find another donor branch.

I think the branch is long enough - she's only a small girl tho, about 3.5 feet all told, but loads of buds. Also, if I only harvest the larger buds and take a couple of small cuttings is there a chance I could still regen her - it would be a real shame to hack her to death as my whole family has developed a kind of bond with her.:watchplant:

So I just executed this method on a 7 weeks flowering plant. Do I immediately put them on a 24/7 cycle or do I step it up a little at a time?

I did this a while back, and when I realized how they grew, I started a little experiment to see if rapidly flowering, cloning, and repeating the process, could possess the plant to adopt that growth pattern permenently..
It seemed promising for a few generations, seeming to stick with mutant leaves longer and longer, but eventually stopped increasing the mutant period.. My hopes were that if I could get it to go permenently mutant, that I would have an outdoor plant that was roughly as stealthy as ducksfoot..
Another anecdotal experience with flowered clones, was once I had several flowered clippings (absolutely unrooted) in my fridge from a recent previous crop, (perhaps 3mos old).. I took some new cuttings (not in flowering), and put half in the fridge with them, and rooted the others immediately.. About a week later I prepped all the fridge cuttings for rooting, and to my amazement, 14 days later, the flowered fridge clones were all busting way better roots than even the fresh clones that were prepped a week earlier..
Have you ever had a problem with this method and herms MP? I never saw evidence for concern, but I was only playing with small numbers for a short time..

NO i have never had any problems what so ever with revegging in any form, wheather that be from clone or while revegging the entire plant, very good question tho.

IMO, the most important thing about any aspect of growing is keeping the plants as happy as possible, I honestly do not feel that revegging causes much stress, it definiately causes transitions, but not really much stress

ahhh reading these previous comments makes me happy!!

knowing that my beautiful White Satin is going to be able to be saved.. She is right now 58 Days Flower, and would really love to get some clones from her. I am thinking i will try this out. Wish me and my beautiful new babies luck

PS::

what will happen to the buds that are left on the plant when we force her back to life with the revegging? and about how much budsites should be left on her?

chronicmalcontent said:
What the heck is lollipopping; why do it; how do you do it; etc? I wonderered if those leaves were like suckers on tomatoes. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also my horizontal beauty is looking really good what with 4 giant buds growing straight up. When will the new pistils stop showing up? Thankfully, I'm patient. CYa chronicmalcontent
lollipopping is when you remove all the side growth at the bottom of a plant and just leave the tops. if you have a tight canopy light will only penetrate so far once they stop stretching i take all the side shoots off and leave the top ft. or so alone that way you have all the growth directed to the tops and not to the little buds that wont do much anyways.
as for the pistols stopping they will stop when the plant is ready how long it takes depends on the strain usually they will turn color and start pulling back into the calaxes. some growers will harvest when 3/4 of the hairs turn color. but thats not a good way to do it all strains are different i seen a buddy's white russian at 6 weeks all the hairs were orange but it still had 3 weeks to go. so the only real way to do it is to get a magnifying glass and watch the trich's when there all cloudy white and some amber thats when i harvest. but its on you there depending on the type of high you enjoy if you like an upity energetic high harvest when only a few cloudy but mostly clear trichs. if you like a couchlock high let them turn all cloudy white and some amber.

Thanks Pothead 420. The little things I learn here are unbelievabe. harvest of my first plant ever took place on my 60th birthday. Mass Producer, got 3 flowering clones....thanks again. love learnin' love burnin' C'ya chronicmalcontent

well after the second harvest, I am now starting to see some new growth on my white satin!! ohh i can't wait to see about cloning her!!

i never take clones until the plant shows sex.why waste time when you wait until you know for sure.unless you want males.

yup ive done this a few times, that is clone blooming plants:) and my alltime fattest was cloned like that, it had so much branching and foliar matter that there was almost no light passing through it.
very nice:)

what a great thread--i learn another step in my cycle--i am two weeks from harvest-have another batch ready for room in two weeks and want to make cuttings from girls in flower room--thanks for the info y'all--the colonel

massproducer said:
NO i have never had any problems what so ever with revegging in any form, wheather that be from clone or while revegging the entire plant, very good question tho.

IMO, the most important thing about any aspect of growing is keeping the plants as happy as possible, I honestly do not feel that revegging causes much stress, it definiately causes transitions, but not really much stress
I am still 3 weeks from harvest but am tryin to lern about reveg
what do you feed a reveg plant after harvest? im using a two part hydro nutes in dwc. how strong should my veg mix be?

ShecallshimThor said:
I am still 3 weeks from harvest but am tryin to lern about reveg
what do you feed a reveg plant after harvest? im using a two part hydro nutes in dwc. how strong should my veg mix be?

I have revegged on of my beautiful ladies. She needs a full strength veg food, i noticed that she started curling the tips and turning brown, when she didn't get enough nutes to continue the massive growth i would say depending on the size after your harvest, but go for a good 3/4 strength and keep an eye on her.

on a side note:
My satin seems to be having trouble starting her roots, took three beautiful clones from her, and its been a little over two weeks and nothing is showing. I can see new growth coming through, but just nothing in the root department. Hopefully it works cuz i really don't want to lose that plant. Any suggestions?

raise the root zone temps, because if the ambient temps is higher then the root zone they will put all of their energy into growing foliage instead of roots, which is not what we want... Put a propogation mat underneath them

Latest posts

Back