Closet Grow first time questions/advice (repost with pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webwalker420

Reaction score
New to this. I would like to grow 2-3 plants.

My closet is 2x (deep) 6x (Length) 8x (height).

I have mylar on all the walls and I have completley sealed the doors with weather stripping so its fairly well sealed when doors are shut.

I have purchased a 400W HPS light with a sunlight sun tube reflector.

For ventilation I have the following:

Intake is a 4" duct coming in from ceiling (far right side of closet ceiling) and run down the wall to the bottom of the closet. It's mostly passive but it is tied right into my AC insulation/ductwork so it gets some fresh air pushed in when AC is on. Not too much, but enough to feel a draft.

For exhaust I have a 110CFM bathroom fan installed on the other side of the ceiling (opposite end from the intake duct work) which I tied into a programmable digital switch. This vents into my attic with 4" duct which ends in a 4"/6" carbon scrubber, so I think I have odor under control.

After doing more reading I am starting to wonder if this will be enough ventilation/cooling for my space and a 400w light. I have been keeping a digital thermometer in the closet right now and its been about 72 to 80 degrees, but I also haven't been running my exhaust yet. I am guessing the exhaust will drop the temp 2-3 degrees.

I am also going to put a small oscilatting fan in when grow is under way which may help cooling a bit as air is moving around more....

Anyways my general questions are do you think I have enough ventiliation?

How many degrees do you think a 400w will raise the temp in that space?

I do have the option of leaving closet doors open if I choose to but I would have to keep the bedroom door closed and I am not sure if that would help/hurt the odor and the exhaust system I do have in place now.....

outside.jpeg

bottom.jpeg

Looks like you did your home work Good luck my friend

Hey web..is this the start of a Grow Journal? oh and welcome My Friend

4u2smoke said:
Hey web..is this the start of a Grow Journal? oh and welcome My Friend

No not yet....hehe still need to finish building the room out etc.

Nice, what do you have for veg? 400w MH conversion?

I agree with the earlier poster, you did your homework. Do we get to see the finished room? And do you know what strain(s) you are going to try. I persoanlly would recommend an indica or indica dominant strain for a first try. IMO they are easier to feed and they definitely finish up faster, I had a bit of trouble the first time I did sativas, nothing major but I'm glad I didn't do that for my first grow.

Good work BTW, can't wait to see it in action.

I will post pics when its done and seeds are sprouting!

For my lights I only have 1 bulb:

400W HPS Mogul Base Bulb LHPS400

That I ordered..I don't know too much about the lights so seeing as this is my first time I figured I would just use this one from start to finish and see how it goes. I can always tweak it the next time around...

For seed I just recieved em today actually, I'm going with NL X Big Bud (Nirvana). I ordered 10 seeds, 1 of them came crushed, the other 9 look good. I am going to start with 4 of them and 1 of the "bonus" seeds to see how many females I get. If all goes well, I will use the 2nd set to pollenate for seeds or start cloning so I don't have to order any more.

I am still concerned about the heat in the closet with the lights on. Still waiting for them to arrive but I have a feeling I may need to order a cooling tube or put a bigger fan in. I live in a place it gets extremely hot during summer...

You can get a MH bulb and use it in your HPS balast for veg and once you start flower you switch the bulbs.

Latest posts

Back