Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the mites decided the gig was up and there's no longer any need to hide. When I checked them before work they had thrown a web over the top. Probably building an air force to take over the adjacent plant. Have to admire their industrious nature. If humans were like that we would own the solar system by now.

They expanded their air base while I was at work. I sprayed both plants under/over with Earth's Ally at 1.5X the recommended concentrate. Then I used the garden sprayer wand to destroy the webs and spray in and around those leaves again.

I sprayed the room, the floor, the doorway, the AC filters, the air compressor... even the plates on the crossover cables outside the room. Finally, I sprayed me hoping to deter any hitchhikers as I had to walk past the veg tent to get out.

1695771139238.png

Here's the veg tent. The seedlings in the small pots are BSHW. The one in the 3 gallon pot is supposed to be a Supafreak, but I have my doubts now. I haven't dialed in the nutes for growing in coco-perlite. They look pretty hungry.

The larger plants are the GDPA s I'm hoping to breed. The spots on the leaves are mostly where I spilled DE while adding it to the top soil. Those pots have about 10% of the moldy MG soil mixed in with earlier not-moldy MG soil. It was all thoroughly rinsed before I potted them, but I don't know if that's enough. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Any bugs get on them better beware. I just want seeds, so have no problem spraying buds with spinosad : )

1695771653119.png

The bugs were unprepared for all the spray yesterday. I found a few this morning, but nothing like what I saw on Monday. I might just give those plants another week. The CSM has cloudy trichomes, but almost no amber. The MXTL is over 5% amber.

I moved the smaller CSM outside. It's been growing in that moldy MG soil, and isn't too healthy making it vulnerable to mites. At least outside I can hose it off every day if needed. I screwed up the lighting several weeks ago causing it to start revegging, so it's way too early to harvest. Should be plenty of time to flower before it gets too cold.

Vegging plants are still bug free. I scanned every leaf on every plant. I found a few dead leaf hoppers on one plant. No eggs. I will move the tent to a remote area, kill the lights and fans and zip it up before moving any of the infested plants this weekend.

Speaking of bugs, a friend found this in her new bag of roots organic soil (from a local Taylor's). Not sure if it's a root aphid or soil mite, though it looks like a mite to me. Anyone have an opinion??

1695813910525.png

The bugs were unprepared for all the spray yesterday. I found a few this morning, but nothing like what I saw on Monday. I might just give those plants another week. The CSM has cloudy trichomes, but almost no amber. The MXTL is over 5% amber.

I moved the smaller CSM outside. It's been growing in that moldy MG soil, and isn't too healthy making it vulnerable to mites. At least outside I can hose it off every day if needed. I screwed up the lighting several weeks ago causing it to start revegging, so it's way too early to harvest. Should be plenty of time to flower before it gets too cold.

Vegging plants are still bug free. I scanned every leaf on every plant. I found a few dead leaf hoppers on one plant. No eggs. I will move the tent to a remote area, kill the lights and fans and zip it up before moving any of the infested plants this weekend.

Speaking of bugs, a friend found this in her new bag of roots organic soil (from a local Taylor's). Not sure if it's a root aphid or soil mite, though it looks like a mite to me. Anyone have an opinion??

View attachment 342180
Looks like a root aphid to me

Any opinions on her chances of killing all the root aphids without dumping plants, dirt and all?
I would have to recommend miniaturization with an ar15 and lots of ammo. But remember to not go smaller than 4x the size of the aphid in case it goes to hand to hand combat

I would have to recommend miniaturization with an ar15 and lots of ammo. But remember to not go smaller than 4x the size of the aphid in case it goes to hand to hand combat
I could sell aphid hunts like they were safaris! Maybe add in a per-aphid fee with mounting and taxidermy options...

Like with a high voltage pulse?
Doesn’t have to be high voltage. When I was a kid we used a 110 soldered to two screwdrivers. After a rain when the ground was wet you plunge the screwdrivers into the ground then throw the switch and worms come to the top of the ground. If you put a plastic cover over the soil they can come to the top but not escape due to the barrier.

Note that a 110 can kill you so switch off and be careful

She decided to cut her losses and toss everything that touched that soil. She's making a clone or two, but that's pretty much it. I would do the same thing after dealing with so many pests recently. I guess technically I am doing the same. I'm just delaying a week or two to get the big plants ready for harvest.

She decided to cut her losses and toss everything that touched that soil. She's making a clone or two, but that's pretty much it. I would do the same thing after dealing with so many pests recently. I guess technically I am doing the same. I'm just delaying a week or two to get the big plants ready for harvest.
I know it’s not fancy but the organic promix that is dried and compressed to half its size never seems to have bugs.

The bug hotel is closed!

I couldn't stand looking at it suffering anymore, and took it down this afternoon. I cut the branches off and put them in water filled buckets to carry outside for rough trimming. Water soaked branches is my new favorite way to trim. My wife said I didn't smell like weed when I was done, and I didn't even get sticky fingers. As soon as they dry some I'll run them through the salad trimmer to clean them up a little more.

Here they are on my wife's jet ski - I hope she doesn't notice : ) I didn't want to bring them into the shop with the other plants. Sure was a lot of bud on that one little CSM.

1696028023009.png

1696028034662.png

1696028044079.png

This was from the MXTL sitting next to the bug ridden CSM. No idea how much bud there is, but that's a 20" plant saucer. One more plant to harvest, not counting the two outside that aren't ready. The last plant needs another couple of weeks. Just starting to see a decent amount of amber.
1696174522862.png

Latest posts

Back