Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first female jumping spider I've seen. She's not shy at all, and threatened to jump at my phone right after I took this. I need to find her some food, though, or she will move out. Is it strange to import bugs into a grow room just to keep the bug killers happy?

View attachment 341233
When I have a good spider web outside, I will catch bugs to throw in the web. I am a bit of an oddball though.

Still getting flushed once a week. PH of the run off is close to 6.2, and it's getting some nutes now as well as em-1. It's looking much better, but new leaves still show some burn after a few days.

1695049679620.png

The GDPA plants from Carty. The three larger ones are Carty's at least. The smaller one is a feminized GDPA I started when I lost two of the others. Hopefully at least one of the three is a male. The two in the middle were just topped. The one on the right self-topped the first week or so.

1695049850965.png

The first female jumping spider I've seen. She's not shy at all, and threatened to jump at my phone right after I took this. I need to find her some food, though, or she will move out. Is it strange to import bugs into a grow room just to keep the bug killers happy?

View attachment 341233
If I saw one of those in my grow, I'd drop back six clicks and call in fast movers for snake and nape'

When I was a kid, they were selling rocks as pets complete with an instruction manual. Now that I think about it, our government makes a little more sense to me…
And I was irritated that my mom wouldn’t buy me one but I was probably about 5 years old and I have learned a thing or two since…

Freaking Russet Mites! I've scanned at least a hundred leaves since all this burned leaf crap began, and this is the first one I've seen. I got lucky with a jeweler's loupe because it was on the move. After that it only took a few minutes to spot several of them and tons of eggs. Going to toss the big THCB for sure. If it was the only plant I had I might try to save it, but it's badly infected with these tiny bastards. One of the CSM plants is probably not worth saving as well. Strange, I'm more happy about finally figuring it out than upset about the mites : )

1695418890238.png

Okay, it looks exactly like a Russet Mite, but based on what I'm reading it's 10X the size of a Russet Mite. Does anyone know what this thing is??

I took down the THCB today. The branches were swollen and soft at the junctions. I doubt I could have kept it alive through a harvest. I wish I had tossed it two months ago when it first started giving me trouble. I think the thrips were incidental and had little to do with whatever was killing it.

Everything has been sprayed down to hopefully keep the thrips off my other plants. Two MXTL clones and two young BSHW plants had them, but they were right next to the THCB. I tossed them all, and plan to take a short break from growing after the ones in flower are finished and after I get some seeds from the GDPA plants.

During the break I plan to make some grow room changes so I can better manage the environment. Probably go back to DWC only grows. All the potted plants I've been shuffling around are a lot of work to keep watered and properly fed. The DWC is practically hands free by comparison.

The thrips seem to be gone on the remaining plants. All in veg got a heavy dose of spinosad last night. I did find some (dead) leaf hoppers, though. I checked my one plant outside, and sure enough, it's got leaf hoppers. Apparently they drink my soapy alcohol and water spray. Makes them big and strong.

One of the MXTLs has about 5% amber trichomes. It's looking pretty sad leaf wise, but on closer inspection all the sugar leaves look fine. I can't remember, but maybe I flipped that one a couple of weeks early. This should be week seven. The others have very little amber as expected. The CSM trichs are all still clear. No pics today. I'm keeping the room and tents closed while I work on killing any stragglers. They won't need water until tomorrow night.

Okay, once again my plans are changing. Chop day for the first two is Sunday, maybe all four. I forget who told me I probably wasn't out of the spider mite woods yet, but he was right. They are on the CSM in the back, mostly on just one side at the moment, but there are tons of the bastards.

I'm sure the MXTL next to it will have them very soon if not already, but there's no way to move the CSM out without it brushing the MXTL. I would chop them both tonight if I had time. I will need to bring them out a few branches at a time in a water filled bucket. The tents will be zipped up with no fans running, and of course all the vegging plants just got a dose of spinosad.

Going to dub this Black September. Mold in the potting soil, thrips and the leaf hoppers. Now I find spider mites in the back room. I've had at least 5 grows in that room since the last infestation, and had no mites. I wonder how one got in there, or was it just hanging around in the back for the last 18 months or so waiting for its chance.

I'm sort of glad I had already planned a break from growing. Otherwise this would be forcing it on me. I won't be growing anything else until at least January. Time to dust off my mountain bike and spend some time in the woods. Maybe I'll carry some seeds with me and plant them along the streams : )

Okay, once again my plans are changing. Chop day for the first two is Sunday, maybe all four. I forget who told me I probably wasn't out of the spider mite woods yet, but he was right. They are on the CSM in the back, mostly on just one side at the moment, but there are tons of the bastards.

I'm sure the MXTL next to it will have them very soon if not already, but there's no way to move the CSM out without it brushing the MXTL. I would chop them both tonight if I had time. I will need to bring them out a few branches at a time in a water filled bucket. The tents will be zipped up with no fans running, and of course all the vegging plants just got a dose of spinosad.

Going to dub this Black September. Mold in the potting soil, thrips and the leaf hoppers. Now I find spider mites in the back room. I've had at least 5 grows in that room since the last infestation, and had no mites. I wonder how one got in there, or was it just hanging around in the back for the last 18 months or so waiting for its chance.

I'm sort of glad I had already planned a break from growing. Otherwise this would be forcing it on me. I won't be growing anything else until at least January. Time to dust off my mountain bike and spend some time in the woods. Maybe I'll carry some seeds with me and plant them along the streams : )
Most likely hopped a ride on your clothes in there. Do you do any other gardening?

Most likely hopped a ride on your clothes in there. Do you do any other gardening?
Not before I enter the shop with the grow room. I also pass by every other plant I'm growing to get to that plant, and it's the one that's infested. Seems like that would have been the last plant to get a mite on it, but you're probably right. I probably brought it in on my cloths. Must be why naked gardening is so popular : )

Latest posts

Back