Deer hunting season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dexter said:
Is there too many deer in the US?

Funny you should ask, but in some places, yes. It's our fault, though. We have eliminated most of their natural predators. Mostly in the case of white tail. The herds have actually flourished to unhealthy levels beside human populations. This makes for sickly animals and poor genetics. They are like kangaroos. They just keep multiplying. The Australian gov't kills hundreds of thousands of kangaroo every year to keep the kang population healthy and disease free. Our gov't does the same thing to the bison herds around Yellowstone etc., though to a lesser degree. Kind of like our gov't attempting to erradicate every wild hemp plant they can find.... In a strange twist it allows you and I to grow fantastic strains with little fear of crossing with genetic rope.

And to avoid any arguement what-so-ever, allow me to say this: As far as the above goes, that is at least as I hear it. Ahem.:rolleyes:

i could kill all i wanted sitting on my back deck.there is corn and soy bean fields on all sides of the property here and they are always coming thru the back yard to access the fields.of course i put yellow gold out for them all summer long also.the 1st day of season in 06 i killed a 12 point sitting on the deck.no sport .i also dress all my own meat.hang em in the pole barn and jerk the hide off.theni soak the quarters in ice water for several days to get all the blood out of the meat.

Hick said:
yea, but there's too many people, too. And they don't give us a season on them :cry:

:yeahthat: The herd needs thinning! Thanks for all your shared wisdom HICK.

:yeahthat: andy52 you are a lucky man!

:doh:Sorry about "Meth lab" dump rant, found one on my land. the sorry @%$#%^&*(*) holes

:48: :tokie: :48:

:headbang2: :bong1:

Imagine it's better sport than roos, probably better meat too( my dogs love roadkill roo tail ).
You must get to see some good country. What do you use rifle, bow?
Sh*t we need a firearm license, to get a paintball marker. Pretty tough getting gun license unless your a farmer.
Maybe someone needs to cut a big o'le hole in the fence at the venison farm
;)

I probably would'nt be any good, played 'Cabala's Deer Hunter' on the pc and I normally die of exauhstion or crash my atv before I manage to kill anything:confused:

Dexter :bong1:

Dexter said:
I normally die of exauhstion or crash my atv before I manage to kill anything:confused:

Dexter :bong1:
...sounds a LOT like real life hunting season!!! .. :rofl:

andy52 said:
i could kill all i wanted sitting on my back deck.there is corn and soy bean fields on all sides of the property here and they are always coming thru the back yard to access the fields.of course i put yellow gold out for them all summer long also.the 1st day of season in 06 i killed a 12 point sitting on the deck.no sport .i also dress all my own meat.hang em in the pole barn and jerk the hide off.theni soak the quarters in ice water for several days to get all the blood out of the meat.

you know..I think me and you'd make good friends in "real life"

I quarter the deer then pack it in Ice and salt, and top it off with water...
then I ride it around in the back of my truck for a few days(vibration helps purge the blood).. the cooler has to have a drain valve/hole so you can drain the bloody water once a day and refill with fresh salt,ice, and water.
Gets rid of all that "wild" taste from the blood;)

.."If guns kill people,then... pencils misspell words, cars make people people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!"..:p

Figure this is a good thread to revive. I went out today to check out my roommate's land with him and sight my gun. 2 shots, both hit same place 3 inches from target on a gun that hasn't been shot since my grandfather left it to me 15 years ago... Not bad huh? Anybody here grabbing the rifle this year?

I have 2 in the freezer already the ol'bow is dead on this year. My guns are always clean and sighted in.

4 days Oz man? my whitetail shotgun season begins on the 15th of this month, and goes two weeks. i plan for this season every year. will not be taking no young'ins afield this season. will be just me, my gun, my weed, and hoping on the record buck...;) :D ...

6 days from now, my terrain will turn into a blood letting on deer. good thing we have our own property to hunt. the state game areas, in the forests are a very dangerous place to hunt, because there are so many hunters out there... please be careful, and respect the lines drawn...

i have taken one doe in bow season already. that one was shared 'tween 3 families. i will take a buck with shotgun for my neighbor, and one for self. one will carry me til next season...

i took my doe this season with a crossbow. it used to be a vet, and disabled only hunt, then, this season, for deer population control, dnr opened xbow to all of age...

have a safe hunt, and play nice...good luck to all that go afield. may you be blessed with bringing home your quarry...Irish...

The deer has been in the freezer for 26 days I alway freeze for 30 days to kill bacteria before making jerky. Got the first 2 with bow. If I wan't to I could set on front or back porch and fill all my tags. I try for 4 deer a year to stay in deer meat year round.

the actual hunt sounds fun might have to give this a try sure beats the way us mexicans do it we just buy the live deer and off goes the head.

Haven't got mine yet this year.... Bow is alot harder than gun, so shotgun is like guaramteed filled freezors

Not all mexicans eastla! I can't believe i missed thi thread! Waiting on my 303 to arrive from texas to try an bag one fer me and the misses. Never hunted on the eastcoast, ought to be interesting. i hang my deer up by the back hooves fer a couple of hrs, it bleeds out nice this way. Take the ribs place them in foil with stalks of celery 2-3 should do per set. 1-can cream of mushroom, salt, pepper, garlic to taste. Place in oven on 250-275 fer 3-4 hrs on a cooking sheet or pyrex( glass cookware). The celery will help the ribs from drying out! The only thing left to do is open the foil and brown your ribs top to your likeness, usually done on broil. This can also be done on the grill! Gonna try some homemade canna-sausage if i bag one this year.

WOW. I almost killed myself swerving to avoid killing what i perceived to be the smallest mouse i may have ever seen on the road the other day.

Couldnt imagin actually going out of my way to shoot an animal that big.

However, i dont look down on the sport, just not for me. Ever since i watched my Grandfather cut the heads off the roosters i raised from chicks, ive never been able to eat anything ive seen alive.

call me a wuss, just how i feel, but i do enjoy a nice venison, or even sausage from wild pig given to me by the good ol boys i work with!

eastla_kushsmoka said:
the actual hunt sounds fun might have to give this a try sure beats the way us mexicans do it we just buy the live deer and off goes the head.

:eek:

lol.

GG420 there is no garrenty in hunting except cold feet and finger. I have seen guys sight in a 1 inch group at a hundred yards then miss at 30 yards.

Oh I know man, I just get lucky. After bowhunting, I have more respect for avid bowhunters, it is TOUGH. Shotgun and muzzleloading are a walk in the park in comparason. I live in a densly populated deer area... I enjoy pig hunting too btw

Latest posts

Back