Depression Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thorn said:
Hi all. Ok so this is not really related to MJ (heaven forbid!) so please don't start having a go at me or banning me as i can't deal with much more today.

I'm having a bit of a relapse into depression at the moment, but am trying to look for work, well i've been looking for work since long before i left my old job. I left that job for many reasons, but at the end of the day I had no one to talk to while i was their and was really getting down. anyway thats not the point..

I've never worked full time before, mostly because i've been studying and so have not been able to. But for the last year and a half I haven't been studying but have only been able to manage a part time job, and as soon as I started to have problems with that I began to get ill again and couldn't cope with it most of the time.

I've never really thought about incapacity benifits until my dad (who's got depression too) spoke to me about it. Now I know I cannot cope with full time work because 1 early morning alone will leave me feeling drained for about a week. Part time work will not allow me to get my own place and support myself or my pets. Now I never liked the idea of benefits cause there's nothing physically wrong with me, well apart from that I get colds and viruses a LOT when i'm low. I've always like to earn my wages and feel guilty when i'm 'given' money.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm starting to feel like there's no point in my life, I have no purpose or direction and never really have done as far as I can remember. I don;t quite know what I'm asking, maybe just a little advice on how I can start to stand on my own 2 feet again, or well i suppose, for the first time really.

Come and stay with me and I'll help You Thron and find you way..!!
Really meds are meds and when coming down to taking those meds doc order isn't always for that person but will have to experiment with different antidepressant to find the right one as times goes by you will tryed different meds.
I will say this my doc order Paxil and I Don't like that med because it makes me feel more depressed, so I am going back and get some thing else.. My depression is way different then any of yours, I have to go and work even if I am at home doing something in stead of watching TV..
Some time Thorn it take a person to Fly the Coop to really get a Crip on life and learn to support your ways, So what I mean is that I left home young and found my way by supporting my way til I got on my feet and I had a Good friend that took me under her wing and helped.. even know I ended up on the wrong tracks for 10 yr but I did found my way back on the right track in life..
I get SSD and NO Longer able to work do to physical problems like Chronic low back pain, had to have a hip replacement, Chronic Hep C which I had gone through the treatment 2 and both failed and I have always looked this as a Oh Well I Live On for today.. This isn't really my Depression these problems physical not emotional..
Smile & Hold That Chin Up High.!!! One Day At A Time Don't Look At Tomarrow, Just Today, Yesterday Was The Past And Today Is The Present.. What A Shinning Day..

don't you hate it when peeps say this or something like You look so good!!! Thorn, I can totally relate to life worth issues to some degree. I have been severely disabled for over 10 years now. I havn't worked since Mar.2003 and I can't. My wife works ungodly hours and I feel real small sometimes. BUT< and there is always a BUT... this is the most important thing I learned in the Marine Corp that kept me alive in there...One foot in front of the other and do not stop for anyone including yourself. I have found out the hard way how much pain a body(mind) can physically take. So, the moral to this rant::: MAke yourself happy first and the rest will follow. If you are making good efforts then you can't get DOWN on yourself because you are trying. As far as receiving benefits and you feel "funny" about it. Well, I would have lost everything if it wasn't for earned benefits that I now receive. Mail me if you want to.:)

Lastritez said:
Well from my experiance after a stress breakdown a few years ago, I went through about 3 years of recovery with no light at the end of the tunnel, then I saved up enough money to buy a second hand motorbike (took me 6 months to save £700), as soon as I got the bike, life changed, the depression just seemed to vanish, there is nothing on earth like the feeling of riding a bike, lining up the bends and sweeping through them. I got a fairly big 1200cc sports tourer, and it always puts a smile on my face, even in the rain, hopefully off to europe this year to visit some friends and tour some mountains.

All I can say is buying that bike changed my life, for the better, I would always recomend a getting a bike to ease stress and for fun days out. Riding IS the pleasure, when I had a car I never went out just for a drive to enjoy driving, but I am out as much as I can on the bike, no where to go, just sweeping my way around the local country roads, mind you, I can't wait to head up to Scotland and try the highland roads.

Get a bike, find freedom, give stress and depression a leather clad kick up the butt, and spend all your time grinning like an idiot!

good advice.. not just get a bike.. but find a passion (other than growing / smoking dope)
i was in a serious depression for years (heck, probably still slightly am) i took the noose off my neck and picked up a guitar, and have not been as far as i was in a long time now.
good luck, and fight it.. the easy way out is the cowards way out. and this world will NOT be better without you.
i wrote these lyrics a few days after i almost made the worst mistake of my life.. i've not shared them with anyone before. (song is incomplete, and is pretty much garbage. i don't claim to be a good poet or songwriter(or even a half decent one) i just wrote out some of what i felt, maybe you will relate? thought i'd share anyway)

"never want to think those thoughts i did that day
almost took my future, and threw it all away.
odds seemed stacked against me, had no way to cope
couldn't find a reason, i'd run right out of hope.

it's just a devils game, playing with your brain
you're not the only one who's felt this kind of pain.
step back, unplug the cord, take the noose off of your neck,
think twice, don't be a fool and do something you'd regret.

the happiness i've felt since then, the beauty i have seen.
wouldn't have got to feel any of these things"

My advice:

1, Smoke Sativa ONLY! Smoking indica while depressed can worsen the effects or symptoms. This is tested-to-be-true information and doctor ordered.

2, Find something you love and either let it consume you or destroy you. Either way, you aren't destroying yourself.

In my opinion, depression is not usually fixed with pills, unless the circumstances are extreme SSRI's and other medications could be used as AIDE...not a REGIMENT.

Think really hard about what really makes you happy, and figure out a way to make money from it.

...or move to california and legally grow pot for a living.

Hey Thorn get the money from SSI and use it to level money out.

I could be wrong, but it might be the English weather messing with your head... :hubba: :hubba:
Have you tried going somewhere warm and sunny?
Try and do a season in Spain... See how that works for ya :D
Sun does miracles... :joint:

feel guilty when I'm given money..... :rofl:
....I thought Thorn was a girl :hubba:

niki, bad bad comment, women are not always given money, what the heck are you trying to say? Or are you just the NORMAL type Chauvenistic PIG? Or just trying to be funny at the expense of others? hum...or...lets see....nope, no excuse for that comment in this thread. You can take a big step toward your "freedom" by stopping using preconceived ideas like your above post.

Thorn, dont know what happened, or why you got banned, but if you are out there reading this.......remember that you have friends here and in real life. All these posts are posted out of concern for you, You are a wonderful person and I am your friend.

wow thorn, i too have suffered from severe depression, and am susceptible to it at any given time.

Ive almost given up hope, a few times, but im lucky to have a wife with an iron will who supports me and lets me know everything is ok. I totally know how you feel, i wish i could be there with you to help you out, talk about it ya know? We have to keep going, no matter what... Thats whats so important and we can lose sight of it. I had a problem at one point in time with cocaine, and i was self medicating quite often to alleviate my problems. Well, you know how that went, more problems. You have to try and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our universe as we see it is created by our will, and ive learned that we carve our own path as we see fit. I still get down of course, who doesnt? thats life, but you have to know that you arent alone, we all are trying to find the truth, and sometimes its right in front of us.

Sorry Niki, got lots on my plate so to speak, and am kinda fed up with men here, you were the straw that broke the camels back. I do heartily apologize for what I said to you.

the weather thing was spot on tho, seems to affect alot of folks in the winter time.

Wake Up with a SMILE Know Matter What, even if u feel down, and look up in the Sky and Thank God for Another Day in Paradise on this Earth and Those Around U..
Keep Ur eyes on God and all will work out...
Money is Just a 5 Letter Word that WE All need and Don't Feel Ashamed for a Little Help from those around U, because the FAVOR Will fall Back on U in the Future for some reason or Another..

Like I said Thorn, Keep Ur Chin Up With A Smile...

I have heard of studies that say if you smile your mood will change, You can not frown and smile at the same time. I have tried it in times of trouble, forcing myself to smile, and it seemed to work for me.

tcbud said:
I have heard of studies that say if you smile your mood will change, You can not frown and smile at the same time. I have tried it in times of trouble, forcing myself to smile, and it seemed to work for me.

"when i find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom: Let it Be"

I'm kidding. I can't offer any advice on this subject, but i had to start singing after i read what tcbud wrote :D

:giggle:

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Performed by Bobby McFerrin

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy