Do LED UFO & Other Work (you look here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeAFool2

Reaction score
There is allot of skepticism about if LED Grow Lights Work or not. There is allot of Junk out there. If you are considering purchasing a UFO or Other high power grow lights, as the seller this:

1. Do your Light have the Latest 2d Generation Chipset by BridgeLux/Cree (fourth qtr 2008)

2. Do you use the Hi Intensity LEDs Manufactured by BridgeLux or Licensee's of their technology.

The Plants you see here are now 7 Weeks Old, just barely one week into Flowering. They were Started Hydroponically, germination done in the drip system, no nut's, just pH'd balanced water, R/O. At 7 Days after Plants were showing through the grow media. General Hydroponics Mixture was done at about 300-350 ppm. At week two after seeds hatched (meaning 13-14 days from plant growth), General hydroponics Grow at 500ppm and Floralicious, way less than recommend was added. They were vegged for just 5 weeks from Growth, add 4-7 days for that for them to germ under the drips system with TWO (cause I can, one would do) UFO 90 ALL BLUE Grow Lights. Just about a week ago, I had them out with two UFO Red/Blue 80 red 10 blue, but 3 days ago got in our FINALLY met our specs, 300W lights and I want to finish these with this light. It is overkill, but I wanted to test this light real world and they arrived after 60 days of chaning the fan system we were not happy with off the shelf.

I put it back in my smaller container, have to add water every other day, only about 5 gallons to fit in my small grow chamber. the Light you see is OUTSIDE, not even looking down on the tops. This is our new 300W unit. This will cover a 6x8 area easily, one light, so this 4x3 is way overkill, easily could be done with one properly mounted UFO 90.

pppDSCF7168.jpg

pppDSCF7169.jpg

pppDSCF7170.jpg

pppDSCF7171.jpg

pppDSCF7172.jpg

lol i shoulda just waited to start that thread earlier.... so your saying you like the leds? and how many plants you got in there

A little hard to see, is the light only on the side?

300 watts of LED's is that a UFO unit?

Really want to see what these LED'S will do for buds so keep us up to date.

Looks good, but ya should give us a nice green pic or two :)

No, this is not a UFO. A UFO, as you know is round. That is what Vegged Them, TWO ALL BLUE LED UFOs. I had them Under Two Normal Red (80 LEDs) Blue (10) Until I received this light you see, which is a 300W LED grow light. But after Mr. Blancolighter made me (LOL) turn the light off to take these pictures, I realize this is not going to work. I am going to move them today, back to the bathroom and hang the light overtop.

There are 6 Plants.

pppDSCF7173.jpg

pppDSCF7175.jpg

Looks like you know what you are doing, but not to dog on you mate. I just think led's are just way to exspensive for what they put out :) The cheapest I have found UFO led's is $449 with free shipping for only 310watts. You can spend little over $300 bucks and get 1000 watt HPS. Yes your going to save money in the way long run but over all its not worth it. I know not many people have done led's grows yet and I thank you for doing so to help us all out in growing techniques :) I have only read a hand full of LED grows and most of them are not finished yet. Am really curious to see how yours and everyone else grows turn out :rolleyes: I wish you well and for big buds :hubba:

LEDs brightness decrease signifigantly after 5 years, 30 percent in fact. So thats something to take into consideration. LEDs wont last forever. They'll need replaced about every 6 years. Not sayin this is a pro or con, just soemthing else to consider with LEDS.

blancolighter said:
LEDs brightness decrease signifigantly after 5 years, 30 percent in fact. So thats something to take into consideration. LEDs wont last forever. They'll need replaced about every 6 years. Not sayin this is a pro or con, just soemthing else to consider with LEDS.

I was under the impression that this was not true and one of the selling points of LED's.... That they have a much longer lifespan with full brightness than HID lighting...... Now 6 years is longer than a HID bulb but I had heard the term of 20-30 years thrown around for LEDS....

I am not saying you are wrong, just that I have heard differently, or maybe that is for 1st Gen LEDS... While the 2nd Gen LEDs are brighter and b urn a lil more power.. that light loss figure might be directed to them... I am not sure....

I would say I would LOVE to see this technology developed and become the holy grail that HPS is now.... But I personally think it is still a ways off.... Very interesting though.

blancolighter said:
I'd say that is a "con."How much did this LED light cost? That's the big "con" for me....

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
How can someone know if LED UFOs last 20-30 years, if they haven't even existed that long? That sounds like me saying that my iPod will still work in 2029.

that is just an estimate, im not sure where they get it from but its just like any bulb that says on average its good for x,xxx amount of hours

i've had a few cfls only last a month before they failed

84VW said:
that is just an estimate, im not sure where they get it from but its just like any bulb that says on average its good for x,xxx amount of hours

i've had a few cfls only last a month before they failed
Yeah, I realize it is an estimate, but it has to be tested before you make those claims. You don't think a tire manufacturer just picks some number out of the air and just randomly says their tires are good for 30,000 miles, do you? They test it, and find out, so they don't get sued.

CallMeAFool2 said:
No, this is not a UFO. A UFO, as you know is round. That is what Vegged Them, TWO ALL BLUE LED UFOs. I had them Under Two Normal Red (80 LEDs) Blue (10) Until I received this light you see, which is a 300W LED grow light

Well, I'd put my plants vegged under 216W of T5 light up against these vegged with 300W of LED....:D

If you saw or were offered a light of 300W for 400ish, please do not waste your money. You are buying junk.

It is called enviornmental chambers. That is how they push anything to test endurance. The tire comparison is a good one, but does not fit, as they can put a car on a test track or imobile device to test tireware. You cannot make time go faster without Adding Chamber testing. Thank god for that, I relied on many pieces of equipment in my Military Career that could not wait 20 years to ensure they would work that long :)

I am not here to convince anyone, and those of you that are almost crossing the line to call me personally a liar, please watch your roll, I do this as education, I could care less if I ever post another photo, I am the one putting my neck on the line, as others that post photo's for your viewing pleasure.

I know of no one with brains and tech sheets ever to say these LED last 20-30 years, but I also have never read any tech sheets from reliable sources that say this loss one poster speaks of. that is just not true, according to the real specs.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, I'd put my plants vegged under 216W of T5 light up against these vegged with 300W of LED....:D

I use Pioneer VI units also. If you were a guy, I would say we are in a pissing contest, please do not feel that Ms Goddess. I am not a banner for LEDs, I am just offering up my results. I do not Use MH anymore either for energy savings. I will take my two Pioneer VI units each with 4 Grow and 2 Bloom Tubes and two UFO 90s. The only way I will veg ever again. Now that I have all BLUE LEDs, I wanted to use them on these. I will continue to use my PVI & UFO or a more rectangular light we are trying to get the maker to make at 125 Watt...

CallMeAFool2 said:
...If you were a guy, I would say we are in a pissing contest, please do not feel that Ms Goddess...

LOL--Not at all. This is a site to educate people. If better results can be achieved with less watts, that is great, but in the case of LEDs, I just don't think they do. What I am saying is that LEDs--at this time--simply do not outperform other types of lighting for MJ. I don't think that anyone has said that they do not work, just that they do not work nearly as well. Trust me, I follow every LED grow on here. I would love having a light source that works as well for a fraction of the energy cost. While LEDs may be the light of the future, they are not there yet, and IMO, have a ways to go.

Latest posts

Back