does it matter the size of your potting container

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallslim

Reaction score
is it really that important to use larger containers to put your plants in? someone I know said that its not that important. can any body give me an experience they had with this issue.

Whoa! Don't listen to that person for any growing advice. I am just getting ready to start my first soil grow and the rule of thumb is a gallon of soil for one month of growing time. So if you were going to be growing for three months then a 3 gallon container would suffice. I know people that use A LOT bigger. You don't want to just throw a seed in a ten gal. container though. Start small and transplant many times to bigger and bigger pots.

Root bound plants have stunted growth...

its good to change pots when the plants are rootbound and you can see the roots showing on the sides of the soil and its pretty tight. just size up your pot when that happens, add some of your grow medium and let the roots spread out into the bigger pot.

But yeah, DLtoker is right, dont listen to advice from that guy :p

DLtoker said:
Whoa! Don't listen to that person for any growing advice. I am just getting ready to start my first soil grow and the rule of thumb is a gallon of soil for one month of growing time. So if you were going to be growing for three months then a 3 gallon container would suffice. .

one gallon of soil per foot of growth

Im using 15 gallon pots. Go as big as you want, just dont go too small is the message. The only downside to bigger is waste of space, light, soil, and nutes.

Stunzeed..

Just figured I would throw up a pic to remind everyone we are just growing weeds here. Only rule is ya gotta be smarter then them...LOL

This sativa was just for fun and with 9+ weeks to go in flower trust me guys, she's going to get a little bigger. ;) 18" from soil now...

Eman:smoke1:

DCFC0001.JPG

DCFC0004.JPG

Elephant Man said:
Just figured I would throw up a pic to remind everyone we are just growing weeds here. Only rule is ya gotta be smarter then them...LOL

This sativa was just for fun and with 9+ weeks to go in flower trust me guys, she's going to get a little bigger. ;) 18" from soil now...

Eman:smoke1:

Hey eman,

Please keep us updated on this plant. I am very curious to know how big this lil booger can get in such a small pot before it starts hindering growth.
:stoned:
Stunzeed..

stunzeed said:
Hey eman,

Please keep us updated on this plant. I am very curious to know how big this lil booger can get in such a small pot before it starts hindering growth.
:stoned:
Stunzeed..

She could maybe double if I let her...with a little root trim and a bit of new soil and topdress. We'll see bro...lots going on but maybe I will giver' a little boost. Check out my brother HGB's medical grow journal to see one finished in a tablespoon of dirt.:eek: :D :cool: :ccc:

Eman :smoke1:

Depends on the size of the plant you want. Really that's what it comes down to.

I did an experiment with 6 plants. 3 in 1 gallon grow bags and 3 in 3 gallon pots. The 1 gallon bags grew to 2' when in flower and harvest was 1-1 1/2 oz. While the ones in the 3 gallon grew to 6' and produced 2 1/2 -3 oz.

So needless to say I use the 3 gallon pots. I never repot. Go from my hydro cloner right into the flowering pots. Once they are in the pots, the roots dont see light till I empty the container.

Eman just puts stuff up like that cuz he likes to show off!!! :rofl:

theyorker said:

:aok:

Just growing some weeds bro, test the boundaries and your abilities tis' all I am saying. ;):ccc:

LOL Em. Yeah, it's just a weed but it does need love and affection.:heart:

theyorker said:

If I had some of his ability/experience I would show off too. As long as the people I was showing it too could appreciate it. Keep doin what your doin Eman.

Stunzeed..:cool:

O it matters ... their is a huge difference in yield if you grow from a small cotainer to lets say a 5 gallon bucket.. the roots simply have no place to go

E-man post a link to your brother Grow JUrnal

stunzeed said:
If I had some of his ability/experience I would show off too.

more like just sharin and back'n up what he says with proof ;)

there's many many ways to grow this plant thats for sure :D

I find pot size a very interesting topic to debate myself as I do dabble abit with solo cups and the such, and yes even start to finish in 1 tablespoon of soil

myself I dont know what root bound means or if it is even a bad thing :confused:

when I was first told the 1 gallon per foot thing I asked and was told yep thats the rule alright :rolleyes:

I make my own rules here in my garden and try many ways of grow'n to prove to myself if it can or cant be done, and usally find it can

I just do plants like this to prove it can be done and by anyone wanting to grow there own

space is no issue really as I'm pretty sure i could still be self sufficient with just a couple of shoe boxs if need be ;)

E-Man thx for the kind words and great job on that plant so far :cool:

grow on

DSCF2692.JPG

Kestone baby... gotta love it. Is that a rooted sativa clone put into 12/12?

Latest posts

Back