Dry Ice Decarboxylation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannabis shards
giphy.gif

I have a question for the chemistry experts here. I know traditionally decarboxylation is done with heat(temps and times are an entirely different subject that is an on-going debate). As I think I understand it, decarboxylation takes place when CO2 is knocked off the acid(THCA>THC or CBDA>CBD). Can the frozen CO2(dry ice) do the same thing? Anecdotally I made some dry ice hash/keif a couple of years ago. The trim I used was put in a seal bag and forgotten about(in my cool dark basement) for about 2 years. I found the bag and noticed a fair amount keif at the bottom so I decided to make butter with it. I don’t decarb. I have always used a slow cooker to make my butter with coconut oil. I cook on low for 12+ hours. I tried about a quarter tsp of this batch and was soooo stoned for at least 6 hours. I know THC breaks down into CBN over time so it could be the heavy dose of CBN that did me in but since the starting product wasn’t traditionally decarbed, is it more likely that the batch was decarbed by the dry ice or the quasi-sous vide preparation of slow cooking?
I never decarb either. When I did, the high was always the same and not to my liking, so no decarb.

My logic can be found in grey wolf's site on qwet .In one section of questions, someone asked if he decarbs weed before qwet. His answer was NO. Reason? Because the various terpenes begin evaporating at much lower temps. These terpenes are what alters the high...otherwise plain THC is all that's left. I want all of them, full spectrum.

Bubba

Nope I have old weed and my Guru on tinctures told me and verified it with Lab tests
The old weed will decarb it self as it breaks down . Needs to be over a year old and not stored cold
I've also noted that more trichomes turn amber as well.

Bubba

Last edited:
So, what have we decided here ...I decab
I will continue to not decarb and test the slow cooker quasi-sous vide decarb method next batch of butter I make. This batch is a motherfker. I don’t think I have ever been that stoned. Time + low heat/time > oven decarbing for me.

I never decarb either. When I did, the high was always the same and not to my liking, as in no decarb.

My logic can be found in grey wolf's site on qwet .In one section of questions, someone asked if he decarbs weed before qwet.

I've also noted that more trichomes turn amber as well.

Bubba
My bag of ‘spent’ dry ice herb that I used was still greenish though the keif that settled out was brownish or maybe amber.

No, you need to decarb somehow, that carbon atom needs to be rotated for Delta-8 to 9.
But then I'm no expert but I always thought it has always been heat needed to do that.

The Old saying comes to mind
One can lead a horse to water but they can not make him drink.
We have already concluded that the weed was partially naturally decarb and the crock pot did the rest.
Try it with fresh dried weed and see if you get the same results

No, you need to decarb somehow, that carbon atom needs to be rotated for Delta-8 to 9.
But then I'm no expert but I always thought it has always been heat needed to do that.
Wow. I guess the past 50 years I just thought I was high? I wouldn't believe everything you read. I go with what I've learned, and I don't decarb period.

I find no difference in overall potency, just the high is very sativa like. Don't care for that so much, prefer it with full spectrum. There's more to the high than thc.

I also thought about this in the days of the Isomerizer. The high was different, and I found that the canabinol that rotates to thc isn't so plentiful (usually) in stronger pot, and is more plentiful in crappier weed. I took some roadside ditch weed and actually made red oil that would get you quite high, while high quality weed made great oil, but isomerization didn't really make it any stronger. Once in awhile, you bump into one that is high in both....win win. Still didn't like the high. I simply prefer full spectrum.

Using good weed I just didn't find the difference in brownies. Never liked that high so much either....I'm sure baking for 30 mins or so would do it fine. I just don't want stripped thc with no terpenes.

At least one expert here seems to agree, if Im reading right, concerning terpenes. There is more to the high than thc. I really don't care for edibles, and only look for full spectrum. If you decarb, that isn't going to happen. Perhaps some like that stripped speedy mind race high, I do not.

Bubba

I think my thesis that the dry ice processing may have decarboxylated the trimmings has been debunked. I have seen people decarb by sous-vide cooking(though I haven’t seen lab tests) so my thought is the age of the trimmings(2 years or so) and it being stored in a basement(not cold stored) along with 14 or so hours at approx 212 F created a perfect storm so to speak. That butter is to be used sparingly and infrequently. I can’t be that stoned very often(nor do I want to be).

Can anyone (greywolf maybe) state if there is a method of decarbing that doesn't evaporate terpenes? Me, I think as others have suggested, time?

When I made brownies it was usually older tailends of weed I had, maybe that explained it?
Still didn't like that stripped high. That's what got me thinking the baking decarbed it? I didn't do a "pre" decarb.

My qwet is full spectrum, no decarb. I could try mixing it with coconut oil and eat it, just haven't the interest, much prefer smoking.

So many variables, weed itself, various different folks with all their differences, who knows. Such an interesting plant.

We are all getting buzzed, so it's all good.

Bubba

Can anyone (greywolf maybe) state if there is a method of decarbing that doesn't evaporate terpenes? Me, I think as others have suggested, time?

When I made brownies it was usually older tailends of weed I had, maybe that explained it?
Still didn't like that stripped high. That's what got me thinking the baking decarbed it? I didn't do a "pre" decarb.

My qwet is full spectrum, no decarb. I could try mixing it with coconut oil and eat it, just haven't the interest, much prefer smoking.

So many variables, weed itself, various different folks with all their differences, who knows. Such an interesting plant.

We are all getting buzzed, so it's all good.

Bubba
Do it in a closed turkey bag unless you have wonderful devices such as GW

I think my thesis that the dry ice processing may have decarboxylated the trimmings has been debunked. I have seen people decarb by sous-vide cooking(though I haven’t seen lab tests) so my thought is the age of the trimmings(2 years or so) and it being stored in a basement(not cold stored) along with 14 or so hours at approx 212 F created a perfect storm so to speak. That butter is to be used sparingly and infrequently. I can’t be that stoned very often(nor do I want to be).
I think I agree, how do you describe then buzz?
Do any of my descriptors sound familiar? Sativa fan or indica?

Bubba

Do it in a closed turkey bag unless you have wonderful devices such as GW
The wonderful devices for his method are only ever clear, cold, and weed. I not understanding how a turkey bag helps? Or are we talking about different things? Lots of ideas here....

Bubba

This part
is a method of decarbing that doesn't evaporate terpenes?
Oh ok. Will need greywolf to know that. It very well may take some mad scientist equipment to be perform. I'm not an edible fan anyway. Wish I was! I used to eat a small dose and wait for full effect, hopefully mild. Then smoke some on top.

I think I agree, how do you describe then buzz?
Do any of my descriptors sound familiar? Sativa fan or indica?

Bubba
I like sativas but not racy sativas(which I think is dependent on ripeness of flower). Grew some Thai years ago that I let flower for 14 weeks. Still not many ambers but all cloudy. It was a hit with the Fogey household as well as my sons friends. I can sleep at the drop of a hat so couch lock is not what I want. The butter I had last night wasn’t couch locky. It was really cerebral. I had a bunch of brilliant ‘save the world’ ideas but shoulda wrote them down. lol.

Latest posts

Back