--dumbest question ever---noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytrew

Reaction score
i just started a cab grow, first grow

here the scope! On a budget, but somehow i spent $600

plastic storage cab 6ft tall x 26 inches wide by 2 feet deep
alum foil lined inside of cab
8-42 watt cfl's -2600 lumens each using the V adapter thing
homemade light reflector
3-24" flouresent with plant/aquarium bulb in them used as side lights
4- size 8 pots for plants
miracle grow moisture control potting mix
temp constant at 84 degrees with window a/c blowing through the back.
intake and return fan

seeds taken from some cheap weed i got, i know i should of bought good seeds

i am confused on getting female versus male or herm. I know that around here "crypt weed or weed dealers say is of high quality, costing $350 an oz." has no seeds when i get them and they give a nice smooth buzz. The regi"cheap weed" which is usually all i can find is full of seeds at $50 oz. So this cheap weed I guess this is a male plant or a herm? is it possible to grow a female plant my cheap bagseed? When my plants get to the point where i can tell the sex of the plant, do i throw the male away! In the trash! Smoke the leaves? if i didnt trash it and let the male grow would it ruin the female, etc or turn herm? I guess my goal is all female plants for the best smoke right?

there is about 10 questions here, hope someone can address all of them for this noob!

thanks in advance!:)

any homegrown with love fem weed is weed good enough for me to smoke.

check out the link below....i think it will answer most of your ?'s. All your answers are right here on this wonderful site. spend some more time looking around and take that aluminum foil down and replace with mylar.

Welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVO26htvoQ

ytrew said:
The regi"cheap weed" which is usually all i can find is full of seeds at $50 oz. So this cheap weed I guess this is a male plant or a herm? is it possible to grow a female plant my cheap bagseed?

O.K., I'll help you out here, but you have to answer a question for me.

This is very important: Male plants do NOT have seeds. Only FEMALE plants that have been fertilized by a male (or hermie) have seeds. Think of it like people. The females are the ones who carry the seeds (babies) after they are fertilized by the males. So, yes, it is possible to grow female plants from your bag seed, but you might also grow males or hermies or some combo of all three (just like people). :) If you get a male, you will want to keep it away from the females or the male will try to impregnate the females (just like people;) ). It's not worth smoking a male, I would just chop it up and put it in the compost heap.

So, now my question: Where did you hear that Male plants have seeds? I have heard this quite a bit on the forums and I don't know where it's coming from. This is one of the things that really bothers me.:eek:

on the forums, i cant nail it down.

with my small grow, it doesnt seem worth it, i only have room for 4 plants, i have to wait 35 days to find out the sex, and what if there all males, i get nothing and have to start over. see what i mean

Males do not have seeds, a hermie has both sexes and can pollinate itself and have smokable bud, a hermie will also pollinate your fems, the resulting seeds produce more hermies, low quality and not worth the time and effort IMO

ytrew said:
with my small grow, it doesnt seem worth it, i only have room for 4 plants, i have to wait 35 days to find out the sex, and what if there all males, i get nothing and have to start over. see what i mean

Since you've decided to grow prior to learning how to grow, expect your first crop to be pretty much nothing but a learning crop.

Here's some of your first lessons.

1. foil doesn't reflect light worth a damn. Use flat white paint or mylar.

2. When the plants are sexed, the average for males is 50%. They show their sex at about 6 weeks while they're still young and small. You can fit many more than 4 in your cabinet until then. When the males show sex, just pull them out and you'll be left with the four plants you want. You'll have to start at least 8 plants maybe 10 to get four females.

I would suggest that you buy a weed growing book and read it real fast. It'll save you LOTS of problems on this first grow.

Good luck!

How did you spend $600 and not get yourself a HID lights??
You can get 250W HIDs for like 100-150 bucks.

and stop being a self doubter and nay sayer.
it really isn't that hard or complicated,
anything worth having is going to take effort.

as the old NIKE logo used to say " JUST DO IT"

BTW: the dumbest question ever is the question that IS NOT ASKED..

great idea for 8 plants instead of 4, i dont know how it would fit in there unless i put 2 plants in each pot?

please see my pictures and someone tell me what to do, i was going to a hydro shop today.

PA154614.JPG

Pa134606.jpg

PA154612.JPG

PA154611.JPG

also the temp was running 98 degrees, i have an a/c behind the unit and i drilled some holes so air could get in and now the temp is steady 84.

please help, i have read the forums for about a month, i am discouraged

actually there is 8 clf's 42 watters

to start out with use smaller pots, like 16oz cups. that way you can grow them and sex them, find the females, repot them in bigger pots and throw out the males.

ytrew said:

That's something we all deal with. The only way to avoid males is to buy feminized seeds or use clones that you already know are females.

so am i right by saying that it will grow 6 plus weeks in a small cup? what kind of cup?

so maybe put like 8 plants in cups, grow them for 6 weeks then start the flower cycle light thing to sex them?

it looks like you are using more of a red spectrum cfl ... for veg i would use a mix of red and blue ... the blue spectrum is called cool white and you can pick them up at wally world

youre proving an great amount of light to those babies, they will grow fast if you give them good care, read grow guides!(it's booring i know but it pays off in yield:p) what are the plans for the future?

Latest posts

Back