dwc question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loolagigi

UP UP AND AWAY!
Reaction score
:confused: ok dwc people. this is my second dwc, but my first from seed. last grow i had clones.....these seedlings have a way to go before i see pistils or balls. i only have 5 gallon bucket setup for my dwc...no tote. i woiuld like to put these in a water/nutrient setup soon, but i have 6 seedlings and 2 buckets. whats the best way for me to grow these until sex is determined? i have no money for a new system or supplies. i have 2 5 gal buckets with airstones and air pumps, but 6 plants. hmmmm... maybe i should just pick 2 plants and get rid of the rest. and hope one of the 2 is female? not sure what i want to do, thats why i am here asking. thanks a lot...Loola.

The only thing I can tell ya is to grow the seedlings in some rockwool cubes till sex is determined. I do not not grow in a multiply site system, I grow a one plant one 5 gallon bucket dwc. I would sure hate to get a male in a multi-site system. Some say that by gently swishing around the roots they have been able to untangle them and remove males. I have never done this, just what I have read here at MP.

I hve been through this my first grow.....I had a 4 site dwc system and 2 were male...there was no way and I mean no way to get the roots untangled...I just cliped both males at the base and left the roots in there..surprisingly they did not rot....

pcduck said:
The only thing I can tell ya is to grow the seedlings in some rockwool cubes till sex is determined. I do not not grow in a multiply site system, I grow a one plant one 5 gallon bucket dwc. I would sure hate to get a male in a multi-site system. Some say that by gently swishing around the roots they have been able to untangle them and remove males. I have never done this, just what I have read here at MP.
ok, i can dig keeping them in the cubes till sex, but what do you recommend for root darkness? i have hydroton......maybe place hydroto, and cubes in a pot and top water until sexed? then transplant into 5 gal bucket.

what about just planting all 6 in soil in a big tote untill u can determin sex and then just clone the females and take 2 or however many clones u want so that way u know u have females and put them in the 5 gal dwc after root development!

loolagigi said:
ok, i can dig keeping them in the cubes till sex, but what do you recommend for root darkness? i have hydroton......maybe place hydroto, and cubes in a pot and top water until sexed? then transplant into 5 gal bucket.
exactly ;)

I'd sex them all in the DWC tub then take clones from the best looking female, toss all the plants, then put the healthiest clone(s) back into the DWC setup.

Just my 2c. Good Luck

Totes are cheap. I routinely put new seedlings in multi-container totes with absolutely no problem. My vegging space is not large enough to use 5 gal buckets. I simply do not let the roots get tangled. I separate them every couple of days or so and pulling the males is not a problem.

Latest posts

Back