El Dorado National Forest / Desolation Wilderness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Effen Gee

Movin' on up!
Reaction score
Just spent 5 days in the woods, primitive style.

Trip report with pics soon...

Glad to be back to civilization, but that won't last long...

Man E, been waitin' all day for these pics... Guess I'll catch up tomorrow:D

Effen-
You found civilization????:eek: :eek:

More like rediscovered what it is BB.

El Dorado National Forest: Crystal Basin Area.

We planned on 4 days 5 nights and stayed 4 days 5 nights.
We bieng the three of us.

...and no, we did not discover any weed grows, we did discover good potential weed grows though.

What we brought:

Tent
Sleeping Bag
Bed Pad
Clothes (convertable pants mostly)
Massive First Aid kit, for three or more serious injuries. No suture kit though.
Water Purifier (life saver)
Camel Backs
Jet Boil Stove
Hatchet (essential)
E-tool (essential)
No map
No Compass
MRE's (Miulitary issue, 5 per person) [HUGE MISTAKE]
Some Mountain kitchen dehydrated food (Lifesaver. Beef stroganoff is delicious)

Fishing poles
Improper tackle (no fish were harmed in the making of this trip)
Hanmocks (100% essential)
Hat lights
Solar Charger
Fixed blade knives
Mountain Bikes (x3 completely un-used the whole trip)
Camping stools, tripod style (100% essential)
Dr. Bonners castile soap (washing yourself, clothes and dishes. Liquid is easyer to rinse in freezing water...where I took baths)

Chemlights
Flashlights

...and a really nice knife.

We arrived at the park tuesday night wednsday morning at around 12:30am. Never again.

We set up the tent and crashed by the car where we parked.
Morning we packed up, loaded our bikes with gear and set out to wrights lake, as per recommendation by somebody I talked to on the phone.

Awesome. Camping right by the lake.

About three hours after setting up camp and getting the weeds out for a smoke fest, an elderly couple approched us and informed us that we were camping on private property. They let us know that we were in a recreation area and there was no camping allowed there.

They were pleasent but cautious at first because apperently they had issues with people in the past who were not so cooperative. I explained that was not why I was camping and thanked them for being understanding and apologized for my intrusion. They recommended Ice House Res. for the type of camping we wanted to do, which is called disperesed or environmental camping. So we packed up and moved.

the spot we found was off a logging road, on private property again. But the campsite was much too amazing to pass up, so we had the "Screw it" mentality and would happily accept any fines for camping there. One thing was for certain though...we were not leaving again.

This spot was perfect, less than 50 feet from running rapids, a dam about 300 ft upstream. Soft ground under the trees, big established fire pit and spent shell casings and bits of trash everywhere.

...but nobody had been there in a long time. The forest was pretty close to reclaiming this spot so we assumed we could get away with it. Which we did.

First real night, fire, lots of food and jegermiester. Kept cold in the river.

I got a little too high and ate half my food onthe first night. Oh well.

The rest of the trip was mostly laying in the hammock in the breeze, smoking pot, gathering wood, food prep, fishing, bathing or hiking. Not once did we gear up and go riding. Pathetic no?

Here are a few images from the trip:

DSC03987.JPG

DSC04031.JPG

DSC04015.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC04002.JPG

DSC04065.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04068.JPG

DSC04040.JPG

sounds awesome.. I always take oatmeal packets because they weigh next to nothing are very filling and taste good. sunflower seeds, jerky. awesome pictures...

I didn't see any mj on the what you brought list?? Sounds like a great trip :) I would have caught fish, though :hubba:

what went wrong with the MRE's? seems like that would be perfect...

The thing about MRE's is you dont really know what you are getting, they make an INSANE amount of trash, as everything we brought in, we packed out.

...and then theres the farting, which was the worst smelling I have ever had. This is not my first time with mre's....not by a long shot.

Plus, they are really heavy and take up a lot of space.

Here is a list of the weed items that came with us:

Hash: gdp, cindy, willow, blueberry, headband, shiva skunk, jack the ripper, east coast sour d, romulan, warlock and some crazy ether distilled oil from god knows what, jack herer hash as well.

Weed: East coast sour, grapefruit kush, blue dream, durban poison, black domina, allen wrench, cindy 99, jack herer and gdp.

Booze: Jager.

Other: Some Hopeium. PM me if you want to know what that is...

is that enough for you art?
I may have missed one or two...

The Effen Gee said:
The thing about MRE's is you dont really know what you are getting, they make an INSANE amount of trash, as everything we brought in, we packed out.

...and then theres the farting, which was the worst smelling I have ever had. This is not my first time with mre's....not by a long shot.

Plus, they are really heavy and take up a lot of space.

Hash: gdp, cindy, willow, blueberry, headband, shiva skunk, jack the ripper, east coast sour d, romulan, warlock and some crazy ether distilled oil from god knows what, jack herer hash as well.

Weed: East coast sour, grapefruit kush, blue dream, durban poison, black domina, allen wrench, cindy 99, jack herer and gdp.

Yahoo :):). I got high just reading the list :) And a good time was had by all!

Dude, G, the pics look awesome! Until you try to open them... And then they kinda suck..;) :D

Sounds like an awesome trip man.

The Effen Gee said:

No tackle could have helped you catch fish after partaking in that list.

Sounds like another great adventure Effen. Thanks for sharing.

Hint: if your too stoned to fish........don't fish.

sounds like my kind of trip. ever think of doing these type of outings on a horse?;) :hubba: ...

scrap the bikes, get a horse. or save a horse, ride a cowgirl.:hubba: :cool: ...Irish... jking efn...but i do love to explore...

IRISH said:
scrap the bikes, get a horse. or save a horse, ride a cowgirl.:hubba: :cool: ...Irish... jking efn...but i do love to explore...

:rofl: Horses or cowgirls? :D

I grew up with horses and I can tell you that they dont like me, and I dont like them.

Bikes dont need food or water, plus they don't get scared and buck you off at the sight of a pine cone. User error only.

I am already planning the next trip, hopefully it can go off without two burns and three hammock malfunctions...

Latest posts

Back