Elephant Man's Grow Journal, 1st attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say I have always seen the most growth just before watering. In my low RH environment, even in an airy mix, weekly waterings is not a problem for 'big pot girls'. I use the 'weight' method of watering and try to wait till I feel a big decrease in weight before watering. IMO the pots will gradually get lighter and lighter until one day you will notice a drastic decrease in weight. That is when I water. Interestingly enough, I have noticed in those 2 days before, the largest growth spurts. I am beginning to be able to tell that day just by watching growth.
cool.gif
Let me point out that this is still probably a day or 2 before any wilting/drought stress. I use the slow water method also, about 2 cups at a time every 20 min or so, till I get runoff. Then I usually give a last 2 cup watering and after an hour or so, dump any runoff.

I was looking at previous posts by REv in my journal and decided my first transplant (big sativa) probably is a little shy on some micros, especially Mg. I have noticed a few signs but I wanted to wait and see if she was just adjusting to her new mix. She still hasn't had any tea, so I decided to add half a teaspoon of Botanicare Cal/Mag to a gallon of RO for her watering.

Almost fell on the floor when I saw this (pic below)

Roots are my thing mang, I grow a plant from the pot up and this tickled me pink
biggrin.gif
. HUGE hairy 'pipe cleaner' roots coming from one drainage hole
biggrin.gif
, they are nearly the size of a pencil at the opening
eek.gif
. Looks like she is definately dug in now and loving that bottom layer
wink.gif
smile.gif

I decided to post a couple of pics of the big herm and her also, as you can see by the mylar, she is well over the 5 ft mark now. I also realized I can't remove her from the flower room either, without risk of injury to one of us
rolleyes.gif
...oh well...wanted to get a better pic
frown.gif

DCFC0019small.jpg

DCFC0020small.jpg

DCFC0025small.jpg

BTW, there is now bioactive fermented mixes for Hydro (BioCanna). They're certified organic per Holland's own process. Organic to me just means living (and no pesticides, natch).

Whether it's soil, soilless or hydro as long as have the right medium. I know you know the diff, but people get locked in to thinking soil=organic.

My next hydro grow will be my first 100% all organic mang! :farm:

Now everything looks real good.. the plants are great, green, healthy. But......... did I read this right......... you are growing that herm?? Say whaa? :huh: Dude, I would narp that herm now! :chuck: The guy that's been my 'prof' is fuming b/c he got a bunch of hermie clones and didn't know it! I know you are the 'experimenter' but you need pollen in amounts you cannot even see to fill those flowers with seed. I have been to Herm City myself and it was not fun.

BTW, good rootshot. They are the foundation for your flower house.

Zarnon said:
BTW, there is now bioactive fermented mixes for Hydro (BioCanna). They're certified organic per Holland's own process. Organic to me just means living (and no pesticides, natch).

Whether it's soil, soilless or hydro as long as have the right medium. I know you know the diff, but people get locked in to thinking soil=organic.

My next hydro grow will be my first 100% all organic mang! :farm:

Now everything looks real good.. the plants are great, green, healthy. But......... did I read this right......... you are growing that herm?? Say whaa? :huh: Dude, I would narp that herm now! :chuck: The guy that's been my 'prof' is fuming b/c he got a bunch of hermie clones and didn't know it! I know you are the 'experimenter' but you need pollen in amounts you cannot even see to fill those flowers with seed. I have been to Herm City myself and it was not fun.

BTW, good rootshot. They are the foundation for your flower house.

Biocanna looks great, but try this:

2 tsp Fox Farm Peice of Mind All Purpose 5-5-5 ($8 for 4lbs.)
1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses ($2 for 12oz.)
1/2 tsp Alaskan Fish Ferts ($6 for 32oz.)
1/8 tsp Down To Earth Kelp Meal ($6 for 5lbs)

mix with 2 gallons Reverse Osmosis water (or filtered, cannot use tap)
add air stone and bubble for 24 to 48 hrs
done dealio easy shmeezy and cheaper than dirt.
Elephunt Man Certified Organic;)

give a few seedlings (yes I said seedlings;) ) this once a week or to a couple clones as needed. Got a few more recipes for veggers and blooming.

I only call it a herm because it had me confused, she is a sassy nasty girl with huge calyxs. I do not give away clones, especially bagseed.

Whats up Eman. Hope you had a great Christmas mang. Stopped in to see how your grow was doing and may i say everything is looking great as always. Keep up the great work. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Whats up Eman. Hope you had a great Christmas mang. Stopped in to see how your grow was doing and may i say everything is looking great as always. Keep up the great work. ;)

Pics for my man TBG:ccc:

DCFC0004small.jpg

DCFC0006small.jpg

DCFC0012small.jpg

DCFC0019small.jpg

DCFC0020small.jpg

DCFC0022small.jpg

DCFC0023small.jpg

Those ladies are looking better and better with every picture you take Eman. Whats is your projected harvest date for them fine arse ladies? With all the work you been doing and putting into them ladies i bet you just can't wait for chop time. :D As always your doing a great job and i can't wait to see the final product. :aok:

Hey EM! Stopped by to see how things are going. Lookin' great dude!

Those strong sativa strains... yeah man, they can stretch and stretch, but damn I like the taste and high. I'm smokin' one now! :D I love it with a cuppa joe. Mmmmm hmmmm... Oh anyways, I have bitten my fingernails a time or two even with intensive training. LOL...

Thanks guys,

TBG, don't really have a set harvest date for any of them. 'Big Herm' is probably gonna get her last feeding this weekend, then just molasses and water till done. Just gonna go by the trichs, she will probably be picked just a tad on the early side (few amber) and the rest will most likely be aimed at a late harvest. I will be trying to target back pain and insomnia as a result, but it is always nice to have some 'heady' wake and bake bud too.:D Plan on revegging at least one of them too, just for fun.

Zarnon, yeah man, sativas are fun to grow that is for sure. Explosive growth on mine first 3 weeks in flower and looks to have finally peaked at just over 6 foot tall (from the soil). Gonna flip some clones between 12 and 24 inches this next time around and go from there. One thing to note for others, don't expect to get too many clones at one time from one of these 'corn stalks'.:D

I am still very heavy into my soil life constructions, I use a series of transplants into a final 2.5 gallon bucket for flowering. So far I am really happy with my flower mix, just got to finish dialing in my 3" and 5" sq pot veg mixes. I am also leaning away from a pre-prepared basemix and will just be reusing soil by either composting to casings in my worm bin(s) or doing individual pre-composts right in the pots approximtely 2 weeks before transplant. Got a couple new teas to play with too.:cool:

Perhaps the world's largest non-commercial indoor compost teamaker...LOL:cool:

DCFC0014small.jpg

DCFC0015small.jpg

DCFC0016small.jpg

DCFC0017small.jpg

DCFC0022small.jpg

Everything is looking great you mad man. :aok: You have so much going on it's hard to follow sometimes. ;)

Looking good Elephant Man.

I might try that tea, but man, anything really granular tends to clog up the water outlets. Can some of these be filtered? Heck, I may put a submersible in one bucket and do a side by side next time.

Thanks guys!

Zarnon: Yes, they make all of the organic nutrients I use in hydro form. Some are labeled for foliar use, some actually state that they are filtered for 'spray nozzle' use. I can probably help you sub out anything you might want to use if necessary. I am a big fan of nylon paint strainers too.;)

My teamaker with 15 gallons RO water. Dual 24" 100gph waterfalls, dual stage pump filter, bulap teabag full of goodies.

18 hours old and 6 inch foam, was just about to add my innoculants LOL.:yay:

Maximum diversified microbial population :smoke1:

DCFC0002small.jpg

DCFC0006small.jpg

DCFC0009small.jpg

Ok EM, you might be on next grow. Keep in mind this would be a side by side clone in the exact same environment. EM vs the Big Corporate Fert Factories!

Hey man, if I can get something that works and not have to pay 29 bucks for a QUARTER LITER of additive I can be supporter! But to be fair, you will have to defeat "Big Ferta" legitimately! :D

I am not sure I can do a full on sub but if I use organic nutes next grow, I can try to swap out some elements like your flowering mix as an additive vs. Biocanna. Frankly, I have no place to put a huge funkin fermentin' factory (and neither do most people) so one challenge I have is for you to make this something people can do in a small area.

(Love it that the stuff is filterable! COOL!)

Latest posts

Back