FB's Grow Attempt #2 - indoor CFL tub grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rollingstoned77 said:
hey there FLOYD . i did the 2 liter pepsi bottle thing , even talk about it my journal .be sure not to leave it clear !!!! roots hate light . worked good ( FOR AWHILE ) they will not be in them long before you will need to transplant again . if i had any suggestion to you , learn from my mistake and go spend a few dollars on bigger pots now . you will be happy you did and the end result will be much better . Mine got root bound and i had nothing but trouble . I do wish you luck on yer grow and things look good . just thought i'd add my $0.02 , which is worth about $0.02 , maybe even less . PEACE:D

Haha, thanks man, I didn't even think about that.. What if I just duct tape around the sides to keep the light out, that should work alright until I put it in the final pots, u think?

Well, I just topped the bigger one. The little one is getting better everyday... it's still short, but it's got a few sets of nodes growing off it now atleast. Oh, and I LST'd a little for the past couple of days on the big one too.

I feel like it's been a while since I've updated with pics, but truth be told, I'm not to proud of how it's looking right now haha. My bigger plant is having that yellowing/rust colored spots problem that I keep reading about from people. And, no, it's not a nute burn to anyone who reads this... I havn't added any nutes yet. The top sets of leaves are all green and good to go, but the bottom ~4 or so aren't looking so hot. I flushed it today, then transplanted it in to a bigger pot.... I mentioned before that my soil had been yellow on me for a while (what I think is a salt build up), so it might be a nute lockout... hopefully the new soil in the new bigger pot will help some.........

On another note, the smaller one that I transplanted recently in to the 1 liter soda bottle... well that one's looking pretty good :) It's not a giant like the other, but it's really taking shape. I think I'm going to transplant that one soon in to an actual pot, so I don't have to worry about light getting to the roots.

I'll see what I can do about getting some pics up in the next couple days. And remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Well, today is day 19 of veg, and as promised.... PICS! (This topic delivers :))
Ok, so the first 2 are of my biggest plant that I transplanted yesterday. The second picture of it shows the yellowed/dead leaves with the brown patches (some of that is just soil from transplanting it yesterday too tho) marked by the yellow arrows... You can also see where I topped it a few days ago and it has split in to 2 new shoots, marked by the red circle... and yes, it was my first time topping ever, and I wasn't exactly sure where to snip it, so there's a little stub still haha.
The 3rd picture if of my smaller plant... which I just watered and transplanted out of the 1 liter bottle and in to the pot that I used to have the bigger one in, so hopefully that works out better for it.

plant1-1.jpg

plant1-2.jpg

plant2-1.jpg

Oh, and I've also got a new pic of my shotglass grow up in the topic in my sig (below this) if you want to see how that's going. Cheers.

I also want to mention (more for myself than for you) that I acquired some epsom salt yesterday, mixed 1 tsp with 1 gallon of water, poured some in to a spray bottle, and sprayed my plants last night.
I also read somewhere that you shouldn't spray your plants while the lights are on (can't remember where, and don't know if it's true or not).... so I did a 18/6 light cycle last night instead of the 24/0 that i've had all along... I think they enjoyed the dark period, so I'm gonna keep it like that.

FloydBanks said:
I also want to mention (more for myself than for you) that I acquired some epsom salt yesterday, mixed 1 tsp with 1 gallon of water, poured some in to a spray bottle, and sprayed my plants last night.
I also read somewhere that you shouldn't spray your plants while the lights are on (can't remember where, and don't know if it's true or not).... so I did a 18/6 light cycle last night instead of the 24/0 that i've had all along... I think they enjoyed the dark period, so I'm gonna keep it like that.

You should never do that. Light will pass through the water sitting on the leafs and the water will act like a magnifying glass and cause the area the drop is on to burn horribly.

Just like with your outdoor plants you never water until the evening when the sun is about the set.

Ok, so I did the right thing when I gave them a dark period for the spraying. Yay for me.
But, to contradict myself, I'm not going to continue giving them 18/6, I'm gonna stay at 24/0 because I only have one grow box and I need to put my shotglass grow on 12/12.. like today lol, so I'm just gonna take that out of the box for 12 hours, and put it in a cabinet or something, then stick it back in in the morning.

Oh, and I just picked up some 2700 lumen warm white CFL's today, along with some flowering plant food (10-52-10 IIRC, maybe 20-52-20 idk), and some rooting hormone for future needs. I've gotta read up on cloning b4 I mess with that stuff too much.

Summary: staying 24/0 with lights for now, going 12/12 with my shotglass grow tonight, and need to read up on cloning.

Today I made a few modifications. Since all my plants are in the same grow tub, and I'm attemping to 12/12 my shotglass grow, I switched out one of my cool white bulbs and put in a warm white, just ont he side of the tub the shotglass one is on, so it will have a few more lumens, and a better spectrum for it to flower while it's under the lights.

I also did some LST on my big plant today while I was letting the lights cool b4 I switched that one. I wasn't really sure what I was going for with the LST, so I just tied down a few of the upper branches so the lower ones could get some light too because there's a bunch of growth towards the bottom that started, but hasn't done too much... BUT look like bud sites, so that's cool. I also noticed while i was LSTing that on a few of my nodes there are 4 (that's right, FOUR) branches coming out from the same spot, and not just 2 like the others (i'll have to show you pics of this soon).
Oh, and finally to conclude my busybody day, I topped the smaller one.

So far, so good guys, Veg day 23.

I may be over reacting, and it might just be new growth since I havn'tput it in to flowering yet................... but look at this, does this look like a pollen sack? it's the only one I see on the plant, so I'm hoping not.... but:

male1.jpg

male2.jpg

I did switch out a 26watt cool white for a 42watt warm white cfl a few days ago (then this came...). i don't know if that's what turned it up, or of the timing is just coincidence... I hope it's not a hermie or a male, but what do you think?

Well, that's definitely a pollen sack.... I cut it off today cuz it was the only one I could find, and I want to keep growing this freak of a plant. I've got alternating nodes, polyploids (i think that's the word), and just a ton of growth on it.

Would it be worth it to put all of my plants in to 12/12 to sex them now (and then back to 24/0 after I know)? i kind of want to know what my medium sized plant is (and my shotglass is already in 12/12 but hasn't shown sex yet).

dont you think you should just cut the yellow leaves off the ones that are dried and dead its just goin dpreadf faster if you dont
FloydBanks said:
Well, today is day 19 of veg, and as promised.... PICS! (This topic delivers :))
Ok, so the first 2 are of my biggest plant that I transplanted yesterday. The second picture of it shows the yellowed/dead leaves with the brown patches (some of that is just soil from transplanting it yesterday too tho) marked by the yellow arrows... You can also see where I topped it a few days ago and it has split in to 2 new shoots, marked by the red circle... and yes, it was my first time topping ever, and I wasn't exactly sure where to snip it, so there's a little stub still haha.
The 3rd picture if of my smaller plant... which I just watered and transplanted out of the 1 liter bottle and in to the pot that I used to have the bigger one in, so hopefully that works out better for it.

View attachment 25870

View attachment 25871

View attachment 25872

Oh, and I've also got a new pic of my shotglass grow up in the topic in my sig (below this) if you want to see how that's going. Cheers.

its probibly a PH problem...have u been checking it and adjusting the solution you water with? id bet thats the problem sice you havent fed yet so it cant be nuteburn UNLESS yer using Mirclegrow potting soil.

guys, i fixed the yellowing already LOL post late much??
The problem now is that the bigger plant's a dude or a hermie. I cut off the pollen sack, havn't found any others yet.

I put all of my plants in to 12/12 yesterday, more because of time constraints than because I wanted to. I know the big one is a male or a hermie........ the problem is I only have one grow tub, so when that pollinates if the other's are female... well not anymore lol. I just want to get as much bud as I can off this grow.......................... I think my shotglass grow is a girl, it looks prettier than the others lol.

So, all my plants have been 12/12 for 3 days now. Already I can see the stretching taking place. The 2 bottom leaves on my shotglass grow are going yellow... not sure how to fix that, i've given it some Mg... didn't help. It might just be root bound by now, I should probably check that... but other than that, so far so good. Pics soon.

Well, I feel like I've dropped off the face of the Earth for a while... just got a new job a few weeks ago and havn't had much time to do ANYTHING lol.

So, for an update.. it's a big sausage fest, 2 are male, 1 is gonna be a hermie...... my shotglass grow is a female... it's already got pollen all over it beacause of my setup lol... but I'm I duno how many days in to flowering, I think that one's getting root bound.. slowly dieing one leaf at a time... I should probably trim the roots....... but the other 2 are growing growing growing.... full of pollen sacks, it's soooo yelllow in my grow box now :)

so did any of the other snowberry ever germ? if so, would you recomend it? im stuck between getting some of those or aurora indica for a small cab grow. thanks

Latest posts

Back